Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So the Oil Life Information isnt automatic?

VALLEYVEGAN

Just had the oil changed in a local garage, and checked the oil life indicator. Still as it was before the oil change. Then I noticed an option to reset it? So basically it can be changed any time someone wants.

11 minutes ago, VALLEYVEGAN said:

So basically it can be changed any time someone wants.

That is correct. Most models by most manufactures can have the oil service indicator reset at anytime.

As it so happens the option on the instrument cluster has recently been removed by Ford while doing some software updates much to the annoyance of many owners who like to do their own servicing. The good news for them is it can still be reset using FORScan, it's just not so convenient.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

That is correct. Most models by most manufactures can have the oil service indicator reset at anytime.

As it so happens the option on the instrument cluster has recently been removed by Ford while doing some software updates much to the annoyance of many owners who like to do their own servicing. The good news for them is it can still be reset using FORScan, it's just not so convenient.  

So is there an actual sensor involved, or is it a mileage/time based thing?

3 minutes ago, VALLEYVEGAN said:

So is there an actual sensor involved, or is it a mileage/time based thing?

Yes !!

No !!

Maybe ?

To be honest that question has been asked before and I've never seen an absolute answer.

It could be on some models there is an oil life quality sensor, but I think on the 1.0 Ecoboost that is not the case. Given the problems with blocked sump strainers and cambelts disintegrating, I would say if there was a sensor for oil quality it should be detecting the contamination.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, unofix said:

To be honest that question has been asked before and I've never seen an absolute answer.

No, I've never been sure either. On mine it has always seemed to me to be time based - it gets near zero after 2 years ie at the scheduled service interval. Or it might just be coincidence.

Certainly on the couple of Audis I've had on the variable service regime, I was pretty sure it was condition monitored.

• Like 1

As far as I know the option to reset it was removed from the 1.5 Diesel and maybe the 2.0 Diesel Engines but I think it is still there on the Petrol models.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tizer said:

As far as I know the option to reset it was removed from the 1.5 Diesel and maybe the 2.0 Diesel Engines but I think it is still there on the Petrol models.

It was there on both our Petrol Fiestas .

• Like 1

BMWs used to have an algorithm to determine when an oil change was due based on number of cold starts, number of times revs went into the red etc.  So maybe Ford do this???

i owned a Honda Prelude the old 2 door fastback style, there was a slot in the dash to insert your key to reset the service light.

59 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Yes definitely on the 1.5 Diesel. Ours goes for its seevicexand MOT in a couple of weeks so will be trying a different way of resetting the oil life, hopefully without the use of Forscan this time.

• Like 1

On my S-Max the oil life warning is time and/or mileage based as it came up with "Change Engine oil Soon" about 400 miles before the 18,000 mile limit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club