Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Battery suggestion

coolissimo

Hi all, 

I believe my battery is on the way out, seems to be the in the car for 8 years, I do not see the date but the car is 2015. Any suggestions about a new battery? There are plenty of choices, Varta, Bosch, Exide. The one that came with the car is on the picture bellow. These are some suggestions on a car part site. I am inclined on the Varta, however I am not familiar with Exide, thou have done some research. Could you guys please let me know what you suggest , for price quality ?? Thank you.

battery (760Cca) - 3 Year Guarantee">Exide AGM 096 Car Battery (760Cca) - 3 Year 

Bosch AGM 096 Car Battery - 3 Year Guarantee

Varta AGM 096 Car Battery - 3 Year Guarantee

Lion AGM 096 Car Battery - 3 Year Guarantee

Halfords AGM096 Start/Stop 12V Car battery 5 year Guarantee

Battery.jpg

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

You need to stick with EFB as that's what your charging system is designed for.

An AGM has different charging requirements and you won't get the full life out of it.

I've just put this in mine:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx7096/

I always thought  AGM batteries were better, and Ford  puts  low entry battery for their cars to lower the cost.

AGM batteries are better, but the car has to be setup for it.

If your car came with an EFB battery, that's what it is expecting.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:16 PM, Paulkp said:

I have run Michelin PS3's and now PS4's (albeit 18" on a Focus ST), good tyres, but as David points out, not cheap.  I also run a car with Continentals with which I have  no complaints and I believe come with deeper tread to start with.

At the risk of setting a hare running, I would either rotate to wear out all four at the same time, or put the new tyres on the rear.  Understeer is more benign compared to oversteer, as anyone who has driven a 2.8 Capri at any speed in the wet will confirm (so a friend told me !!).

which 

Thanks for the answer Alex.

5 hours ago, alexp999 said:

AGM batteries are better, but the car has to be setup for it.

If your car came with an EFB battery, that's what it is expecting.

Thanks Alex, for your answer. I  would never go on this subject if you did not mention it. . What I understood, doing some digging is that  AGM batteries require more voltage for them to be fully charge, while an EFB may not require as much. So if a car can charge a battery more than 14.4v , in my case is 14.7 V , so the car can charge a AGM battery to the fullest .  Am I wrong in this assessment ? Thanks.

1 hour ago, coolissimo said:

Am I wrong in this assessment ?

Yes.

The whole charging algorithm of the smart charging system is different for an EFB compared to an AGM. You will see that many smart battery chargers on sale can do one type but not the other (some do both).

At the end of the day it's your car and those of us here can only offer our personal advice. If you feel that you wish to go down the route of an AGM battery then that is your choice to make.

• Like 2

The BMS will try to maintain and charge like an EFB. It won’t use an AGM charging voltage which means the AGM will always be in a lower state of charge than it’s designed to be and that will affect its life. 

• Like 2

You can use a program called forscan and tell the computer of the car that the battery is an AGM and that will resolve your issue.  Forscan is a free program all you need is the adapter to connect your laptop/computer withe obd port on the car.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gg1234635 said:

You can use a program called forscan and tell the computer of the car that the battery is an AGM and that will resolve your issue.  Forscan is a free program all you need is the adapter to connect your laptop/computer withe obd port on the car.

If the car never had a variant from factory with AGM that’s unlikely to work. Forscan shows a lot of battery values and types which are invalid for a lot of vehicles or change with each release. The only sure way to know what battery value you are changing is to match against another VIN of a similar car that came like it from factory.

Did the mondeo ever come with an agm?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If the car never had a variant from factory with AGM that’s unlikely to work. Forscan shows a lot of battery values and types which are invalid for a lot of vehicles or change with each release. The only sure way to know what battery value you are changing is to match against another VIN of a similar car that came like it from factory.

My car came with a efb from new and i checked the setting and it was set for agm battery ( i even had a guy at ford check for me by pluggin in directly into the ford system and confirmed it was set for agm).  I have change the battery to a agm and do not have any issues.  its been in the car for over 3 years and no issues

• Like 1

It will be fine in the short to medium term. It’s still going to charge the battery. But I wonder if the firmware on the car is actually programmed with an AGM charging profile to maximise the battery’s life. It could be ignoring the setting or it could be understanding it and charging differently hard to know for sure. Though you’d certainly hope Fords system would only show values the car understands. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Yes.

The whole charging algorithm of the smart charging system is different for an EFB compared to an AGM. You will see that many smart battery chargers on sale can do one type but not the other (some do both).

At the end of the day it's your car and those of us here can only offer our personal advice. If you feel that you wish to go down the route of an AGM battery then that is your choice to make.

Thanks Unofix, I am just trying to understand  the reasoning of the batteries, the more info I get the better decision I can make. Believe me I really appreciate all the info. I am not trying to be difficult or something or a sort. I am new to Ford and the requirements. 

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

I don't know I bought it 1 month ago.

8 minutes ago, coolissimo said:

I don't know I bought it 1 month ago.

I just meant the Mondeo in general. 

You’ve got an EFB 110 in the photo. 

Will the 096 fit? It’s taller but less deep than a 110. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2023 at 10:58 PM, alexp999 said:

I just meant the Mondeo in general. 

You’ve got an EFB 110 in the photo. 

Will the 096 fit? It’s taller but less deep than a 110. 

I believe would fit however I decided to go with the EFB from Varta. Same size but higher CCA. Thanks for the answer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club