Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When using Chrome, how do you get it to remember the size?

StephenFord

How do you get Chrome to remember the size of a window so that when you close it, it reopens again in the same size. Google is spectacularly unhelpful in only offering duff solutions for this!

Stephen, the only solution to this conundrum is to have a very big screen. I get frustrated with the way a window can almost disappear when you try and resize a chrome window !

• Haha 1

On my 17" lappy if i tab the window size, top right or resize it remembers when i open next time round, am win 11 with chrome, tried Thunderbird for a while but couldnt live with it.

Have only just sorted out how to get Google to open UK web pages, i get there eventually like my Focus Ghia 🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

On my 17" lappy if i tab the window size, top right or resize it remembers when i open next time round, am win 11 with chrome, tried Thunderbird for a while but couldnt live with it.

Have only just sorted out how to get Google to open UK web pages, i get there eventually like my Focus Ghia 🤣🤣

I have tried various fixes. Right clicking beside a tab, then 'size' gives a 'cross' cursor, then pressing Ctrl then closing window - nothing. Pressing 'ctrl' then closing (at the size you want) - nothing. Right clicking, and presing, 'reload' then closing - nothing. How can such a simple operation be so darn complicated??

• Haha 2

It's Windows that remembers the size rather than the program.

• Like 1

Just now, alexp999 said:

It's Windows that remembers the size rather than the program.

I never knew that! So how do I get windows to remember what size I want it to open a Chrome window?

Windows.....

I might have two windows open

Show windows stacked - results in two letter box windows each occupying a third of the screen...

Show windows side by side - two narrow portrait windows each occupying a third of the screen.

So winows appears to think I have three windows open, but I've never found the third one, I then have to manually resize them.

Any ideas ? (Apart from Linux?)

You can drag the windows to the edges of the screen to snap them to 50/50, etc.

It won't fully remember though, there seems to be some ability of a program to force itself to a minimum size when opening, even if you can shrink it after.

I tend to just snap things in to place as I open them, as they're never quite where I left them.

That's Microsoft Windows for you though. Win 11 is a bit easier with the templates at the top of the screen and it's supposed to remember across different screens, but it is still often requires manual intervention.

You'd think after all these years Windows would be better at what it says on the tin.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I never knew that! So how do I get windows to remember what size I want it to open a Chrome window?

Have you tried this?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-windows-10-to-remember-window-size/c1df553f-15f5-4994-8ce0-c3bb13d5d7a2

As always with Windows there are 100 ways of doing something and it's just finding the one that works. I'd suggest not messing around with powershell or registry though, if you come across any other guides for that.

they'll update it next week and screw up how youve set it .....................

• Like 1

Annoyingly it usually has to be the 'last' window open of that particular app, and even more annoyingly when you close Chrome there are background processes that don't actually close.

I guess you could try having one window open, closing it, then open task manager and make sure all 'chrome.exe' processes are stopped, then open Chrome back up and hopefully - if you made the appropriate sacrifice to Sundar Pichai this morning, it'll remember it when you re-open Chrome.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club