Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt and auto gearbox oil change query

Tan

Hello, I have a 2017 S Max Vignale which has done 84,000. I acquired the car when it had done 73,000 in 2021 and believe it was mainly motorway driving.

Ford Say the timing belt/Water pump needs to be changed every 120,000 or 10 years but been told by other mechanics it is best to change now especially if I want to keep the car for longer as Ford estimates are unreliable. 95% of my driving is in town.

Also I don't think the auto gearbox oil has been changed and it is driving fine so should I change it? Been quoted £350 which I thought was expensive, maybe its not. I don't know.

Can anyone advise please? Thank you, 

Tan

2017 should still be the old Duratorq 2.0 TDCI with a dry cambelt.  Recommended at 10 years or 144k.

It's the later 2.0 EcoBlue engine that uses potentially unreliable wetbelts with a 120k recommended interval.

Can you confirm that's correct for your car?

• Like 1

Hi Tom - thank you for responding. My vehicle is a diesel 2.0 diesel 207 bhp.it is not the EcoBlue engine.

Tan

• Thanks 1

Hi Tom - thank you for responding. My vehicle is a diesel 2.0 diesel 207 bhp.it is not the EcoBlue engine.

Tan

19 minutes ago, Tan said:

Tan

In that case, I would expect it to last the 10 year recommend interval.  Though if you'd rather have it done sooner for peace of mind, you are of course welcome to do so.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

In that case, I would expect it to last the 10 year recommend interval.  Though if you'd rather have it done sooner for peace of mind, you are of course welcome to do so.

The water pump can fail before the belt does. Did on my Mondeo at 6 years. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, iantt said:

The water pump can fail before the belt does. Did on my Mondeo at 6 years. 

Fail by leaking or seizing?  If it's just a leak, there's no real need to replace early.  Though if it's likely to seize then obviously it would be worth doing.

Fail by leaking or seizing?  If it's just a leak, there's no real need to replace early.  Though if it's likely to seize then obviously it would be worth doing.

The impeller fell off the shaft. So no coolant flowing / overheating. Not unusual as I found out. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

The impeller fell off the shaft. So no coolant flowing / overheating. Not unusual as I found out. 

Difficult to know whether it's worth replacing early or just replace when it fails in that case. 

Not likely to be major engine damage as with a belt failure.  Could presumably be driven a short distance without further damage from overheating so not likely to get stranded on a motorway.  But if reliability is the main criteria for the OP, then perhaps it would be worth doing early as a precaution.

• Like 1

Difficult to know whether it's worth replacing early or just replace when it fails in that case. 

Not likely to be major engine damage as with a belt failure.  Could presumably be driven a short distance without further damage from overheating so not likely to get stranded on a motorway.  But if reliability is the main criteria for the OP, then perhaps it would be worth doing early as a precaution.

Yeah, i managed to drive 14 miles home with it broke, with a couple of 10min stops to cool down a bit. 

• Like 2

I intend to key the keep the car for at least another 3 years - only 3-4 k a year. I am a disabled motorist and certain features of the car really suit me so just for peace of mind i will do it soon . Been quoted £850 for timing belt and water pump.

• Thanks 1

I have exactly the same question about the gearbox oil

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club