Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tick Over Problem

lucas1787

I have a 1999 1.6 zetec Focus,which doesnt like to tick over when stopped.It also will rev really high,almost like the throttles stuck.It doesnt happean all the time and sometimes will be ok.Apart from that,it drives fine.Just annoying when pulling up at the traffic lights and I have to give it some throttle to keep it running.Any ideas if this is an easy fix.? Thanks

i had the same problem with my old 1.8 it was to do with the idel control valve i just cleaned it and it was working fine again.

i had the same problem with my old 1.8 it was to do with the idel control valve i just cleaned it and it was working fine again.

clean the idle control valve with some carb cleaner then retry if its still the same it could be a collapsed pcv hose that connects to the throttle or the pcv valve itself it can also be the vehicl espeed sensor though you normally will notice the mph and revs stop working momentarily

clean the idle control valve with some carb cleaner then retry if its still the same it could be a collapsed pcv hose that connects to the throttle or the pcv valve itself it can also be the vehicl espeed sensor though you normally will notice the mph and revs stop working momentarily

Is the Valve easy to get to, as I wouldnt know where it is and is an easy job?

Is the Valve easy to get to, as I wouldnt know where it is and is an easy job?

I tried cleaning the valve, but made no differance,so I brought a new one and put it on last night and took for a spin and worked lovely.On my way to work this morning, it went back to its old ways a couple of times and the revs cut out completely while I was changing down approaching a roundabout,so I had to coast to the side(if never done this before I changed the valve),Do I have to do anything else,like disconnect the battery so the car will recognize the new sensor?.I have heard of this,but not sure.Thanks.

if you disconnect the battery for 15 minutes it will reset the ecu to base settings. but dont think that will help i had a similar problem on my car for a while and was advised to replace the mass air flow sensor as the element is easily damaged especially i you have an aftermarket air filter, the coil pack, and idle air control valve . but it was none of these there is a pipe at the bottom of the throttle body that bends 90 degree towards the engine and is made out of rubber after prolonged use it gets hot and turns gooey and melts on itself causing a leak in the system which causes these problems you have described failing that there is a charcoal canister purge valve just above the power steering top up reservoir and which is home to a vacuum pipe that attaches to the throttle body. Due to the way it is mounted this joint for the pipe connection comes under alot of force from the engine movement and is subject to breaking . if you cant find it its a black cylinder just above the power steering top up on the left side of the engine bay and the pipe is the one that comes in from the right (if looking face on) and connects at a 90 degree angle to the canister. hope these solutions help . ilanbutler

if you disconnect the battery for 15 minutes it will reset the ecu to base settings. but dont think that will help i had a similar problem on my car for a while and was advised to replace the mass air flow sensor as the element is easily damaged especially i you have an aftermarket air filter, the coil pack, and idle air control valve . but it was none of these there is a pipe at the bottom of the throttle body that bends 90 degree towards the engine and is made out of rubber after prolonged use it gets hot and turns gooey and melts on itself causing a leak in the system which causes these problems you have described failing that there is a charcoal canister purge valve top just above the power steering bottle and which is home to a vacuum pipe that attaches to the throttle body. \due to the way it is mounted this joint for the pipe connection comes under alot of force from the engine movement and is subject to breaking . if you cant find it its a black cylinder just above the power steering top up on the left side of the engine bay and the pipe is the one that comes in from the right (if looking face on) and connects at a 90 degree angle to the canister. hope these solutions help . ilanbutler

Thanks for the info, I will have a look tonight.might try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU first.Cheers

post-6691-023871400 1287674271_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info, I will have a look tonight.might try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU first.Cheers

Tried the resetting of the ECU,still not difference.Started the car and stuck my head under the bonnett and found I could here a hissing noise.After moving some of the breather hoses,found a hose under the inlet manifold which joins into a tee piece that then connects to the engine had split.Moved the pipe and the engine ran better.!!.Stuck on a temp pipe and car runs as it should.Just ordered the new part from Fords,which comes with all three rubber hoses and tee piece and only cost £11.I am amazed at how the pipe has become split,as it was at least 2inchs long.So the moral of the story is"Check your pipes first".Thanks to those who replied and to ilanbutler for the prompting of checking the pipes out. :)

• Like 2

im glad you've found the problem when mine went it was really frustrating, oh well the joy of having a focus lol..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club