Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over Steering

Coves

Just had a service and front offside tyre changed and suddenly the car wants to constantly steer into the nearside [lefthand] kerb. I have to physically wrestle with the wheel to hold it on course!!

The garage checked all the mechanical possibilites and got all the wheels re-aligned by a computer controlled system - all checked out fine but still heads for the kerb. Could this be an electical problem with the power steering?Does anyone know of a Ford recall for this problem?

TIA,

Steve.

It might be down to the off side tyre having more tread and therefore a slightly larger radius, so your nearside tyre isn't in contact with the ground as much. Tyres should ideally be replaced in pairs, front/back.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I currently have the rear tyres on the front and the new and old front tyres on the back so the rears [in theory] should have matching wear. Living in Swindon - with it's zillions of roundabouts - cars are notorious for the front offside to wear out first! So it's often necessary to replace the front offside while there is still little wear on the nearside. I've done it on lots of different cars over the years and never had this problem. I'm sure the pressures would be fine as all that was checked [although I haven't done so myself]. But even if 'uneven' tyres could cause a problem I can't believe it would be more than a gentle drift This is quite a fierce oversteer and happens at all speeds but is more pronounced the faster you go. At speed on the motorway, if you were to only lightly hold the steernig wheel you'd be in danger of turning and rolling the car!!

From what you describe there is something fundamentally wrong with your car. You're going to have to get it checked out by a good steering geometry guy. I used to do it in the main dealer I worked for years ago and I can tell you that if you have such a strong pull to the nearside and you have put the odd tyres on the rear you have either bent something or something has come loose. Have you hit the kerb or a pothole hard? you'd be surprised how fragile suspension components can be when subjected to forces they are not designed to take. You say this started after you had a new tyre? has the suspension been damaged by incorrect jacking? Remember that most tyre shops use kids who don't really know what they are doing, I've seen some 'butes' over the years. I think that you know your car is not right but please be careful when you drive it until you get it sorted.

As a PS I had a fiesta come to me straight after a computer Geometry check. The lad who brought it in said 'F*** you'd better have a look at that Steve' Well you could rock the steering wheel about four inches and the offside wheel didn't move. The track rod end was loose in the hub assembly because the nut was way slack. But in his hand he had a printout from the tyre shop's computer geometry set giving the vehicle a clean bill of health!!

I had exactly the same problem. Swapped wheels, changed tyres, had suspension completely checked, steering geometry correct.Main dealer said they had no idea(what a suprise) After researching all avenues it turned out to be the electric steering!!!!! I spoke to someone who worked for ford in Dunton (technical dept) He said that they know of the problem & there are two things you can do.

1. Take it to fords, they should plug it in to their computer, set the electric steering to '0' turn the wheel full left, then full right then back to straight.

2. Drive down a straight road for 1 mile at 60mph not moving the wheel more than 3 degrees!!! It took me from Chelmsford to Clacton on the A12 before it reset itself.

The car drives dead straight now

After researching all avenues it turned out to be the electric steering!!!!!

That's a worry Pete, unrelated but I've just had my rack changed because it was making a noise. Perhaps the tyre fitter moved the steering somehow and upset the system?

One of my Instructors had their rack changed because it started clunking on lock to lock, It sorted the problem. Its unrelated to the pull to the left fault due to the electric steering needing to be reset

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

As a PS Coves, the term over-steer is when you turn in to a corner and the back end of the car steps out. It's most common cause is flat or bald tyres, it's not skidding but feels simular.

• 5 months later...

Recently bought 10 plate 5 dr focus with sports pack, noticed car pulls towards nearside - not whilst braking - had tracking & tyre pressures checked. What are the general causes of this apart from road camber - heard of chassis problems etc - any ideas. Car still under warranty - should I take it back ASAP!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club