Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Noise When Turning?

SAT7Y

Hi, I've recently been hearing a strange sound when turning around a corner or going around a roundabout. It usually happens at about 20mph and above, the sound is defiantly coming from the back. It is like a grinding noise, sounds like the breaks or a wheel bearing maybe? Sounds like a warping noise (if that makes sense). Has anybody else had this problem? My car is a 59 plates 5 door titanium with just over 20,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

Whack the brakes on hard and see if it clears it.

Whack the brakes on hard and see if it clears it.

I've already tried that mate, still no luck, its been going on for the last week or so. Might just have to take it to the dealers.

I have rubbing noise when turning coming from the front left - comes and goes and really annoys me, sounds like a steam train when I turn (like a chuff chuff noise).

Been to a garage, been to my dealers, neither could see anything wrong. The dealer had even came on a drive and could hear it as well. ( http://www.fordowner...145#entry161145 )

At the minute the noise is back and Im off work Monday so its going back again if the noise is still happening then.

I have rubbing noise when turning coming from the front left - comes and goes and really annoys me, sounds like a steam train when I turn (like a chuff chuff noise).

Been to a garage, been to my dealers, neither could see anything wrong. The dealer had even came on a drive and could hear it as well. ( http://www.fordowner...145#entry161145 )

At the minute the noise is back and Im off work Monday so its going back again if the noise is still happening then.

Thats exactly the same kind of noise that I have. I think mine is coming from the back left.

Thats exactly the same kind of noise that I have. I think mine is coming from the back left.

You going to take it back to the dealers ?

You going to take it back to the dealers ?

Yeah when i get a chance

Yeah when i get a chance

I was going to take mine tomorrow but the noise had gone today. (Maybe coz everything was wet and slippier so couldn't hear the rubbing).

Well I went to the dealers today for the second time regarding this issue, a different guy came out and I drove us in circles in the car park to demonstrate the rubbing noise.

He said he's had this a few times and its the lip on the tyre rubbing against the wheel arch when dry.

He sprayed something around the lip on the insides of the front wheels, and sure enough when we tried turning again the noise disappeared.

Bit annoying that when ever its dry and I have my windows down it sounds like I'm driving a steam train when turning corners but suppose I can't do anything, not until I need new tyres and can try lipless ones I suppose.

He suggested blowing the front tyres up to the recommended pressure for a full car/5 passengers as that would compensate for the heavier transmission (automatic) and see if that stops the rubbing.

Encase I haven't described this lip thing on the tyre walls properly heres a pic of the lip on the outside of the tyre:

IMG_0896.jpg

• 8 years later...

I have been hearing this sort of grinding/stretching kind of sound on front drivers wheel but it’s only when I am turning right, but not on roundabouts, it’s like on a sharp right

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club