Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Misfire P0103

kyle_k

hi all, i have just got my self a 2004 1.4 zetec mk6 fiesta. i new the car had a misfire when i bought it but pretty confident i can fix it. some times it take a while to start and runs rough and has a loss of power at low revs but it runs fine when you get up to 40 and on the motor way it runs great.

so i have had the code reader out and p0103 for the MAF sensor. so i have just bought a second hand one to make sure thats the problem before spend lots on a new one. i know i have the chance of that having the same problem but if its improved or worse i can go from there. or if its ok leave it till it goes again.

any way i have been doing a lot of reading and seen that people have had the same problem and been replacing the coil pack ht leads and plugs as well. but yesterday i decided to unplug the ht leads put a spark plug in one at time and check for a spark. cylinder 1 and 4 i did not get anything, cylinder 2 was the odd one every now and again, and cylinder 3 was good. so i have also got a new coil pack on the way and also some new plugs.

but what i wanted to know was has any body replaced all these parts and still has the same problem?

kyle

I had the problem you described after changing spark plugs and coil pack its ran fine ever since

thanks for the reply. so far then it sounds like an easy fix and the gamble of buying the car is going to pay off, or now i have just jinxed my self?

The problem with a misfire is there are so many things it could be. We had everything changed on my wifes SportKA and it turned out to be a number of things including a dodgy injector. If what you have already done doesn't fix it, you may have air getting into the intake. While its running spray WD40 around the throttle housing, intake manifold and the various pipes running to and from these to see if you get a change in engine note. Also, did you try disconnecting the MAF sensor. If the engine ran exactly the same disconnected you know its the sensor that's died. If it ran worse, then the sensor is working.

funny enough i did run it with it disconnected and it was just the same. I will have a look at the throttle body as well tomorrow and and give it a clean and get the wd40 out. i have read some were else on the forum that they get a bit clogged. thanks for the reply

kyle

I'd say swapping the coil pack and leads certainly won't do any harm.

been messing about again today put the new leads coilpack and plugs on and it has made a big difference. took the pipe of to the throttle body to have a look and its pretty clean. i started it up as well like this and it runs a lot better, i am thinking this is because of the amount of air it can suck in. just waiting for the sensor now which should arrive tomorrow and go from there.

also when i was out in it today i noticed that when i pressed the clutch pedal down it goes a lot quieter so am sure that this is going to be a nice job to do very soon but the car was cheap (for a reason) so i don't mind spending a bit to get it back to good health

maf sensor has arrived and i have put that on. the car sounded better again. now i am getting fault code p0351 - ignition coil A primary/secondary circuit malfunction. so i put the old coil pack and leads back on and its made no difference at all. so i am guessing at a break in the loom at some point between the coil pack and ecu. does any one know of common places for this to break or short on another wire?

Hi i had same problem renewed the whole

Ignition system, only other thing i can think of are the injectors are they all running ok?

i have tested the coil pack today and the loom and all the figures are as what autodata says they should be at. its a weird one? one minute it runs great the next its sluggish. i was speaking to some one before and they were saying injectors so going to have a check of them when i get chance and also the crank position sensor. sometimes as well when you just touch the accelerator pedal, and i mean just touch it, the car just takes off. so am i going to test the throttle position sensor as well whilst i am at it and see what it comes back with but after that i am out of ideas

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club