Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights Dimming

townfan81

Hi guys new to the site and was wondering if you could help me out a week ago whilst driving at night my headlights started dimming on the motorway i went to my local garage the following morning and he did a battery test and said it was pretty much done! i went to euro-parts and got a replacement the same day and swapped it over all seamed OK for a day or so but then again at night and every night this week whilst driving the lights dim again its not constant and it sometimes happens while setting off from stand still but mainly when just in motion I've been through Google for other possible reasons and have got various answers i.e alternator and the wire from the alt to the battery is there anything else it could be just want to rule out as much as possible before trying the expensive alternator?

also can anyone tell me which fuse number is for the 12v cigarette socket it lights up when the lights are on but my SATNAV charger doesn't work.

1 last thing my reverse light and rear fog light don't seam to work I tried the obvious bulb change first but still didn't come on again can someone give me the fuse number to check

any help would be much appreciated

ford focus 2001 1.6 zetec se

Welcome to the family Neil.

To start off with, did you buy a "silver calcium" battery? if not, you bought the wrong one! as fhis is the only battery that the Ford Smart Charge system will operate suitably with!

Secondly, I dont recall the fuse number, but have a look at Stoney871's signature, he has a list of the fuse layouts for a few focus' linked in there.

Finally, the reverse and fog light, it sounds like it could be a bad holder. If the rest of the lights work, I would say remove the cluster, and check the holders for any signs of rust or a bad connection, then clean it up and try again.

Easy way to check the alternator is to put a simple volt meter across the battery terminals and check the voltage. Start the car and turn on the lights and heater and check again. If it goes up to around 14 volts then all is ok, if it stays the same or drops then it could point to the alternator being at fault.

here's the battery i put one http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2001/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770631&1&a6f69dbeaf8e5927fcbd0797a4934ce2740c9f64&000020 the flickering did stop like i say for a day or so I have a replacement alternator (managed to get a second hand unit fully guaranteed for 6 months for a small cost to use as a test unit) then if the problem does stop i will get a new replacement ordered.

Fingers crossed thats the diagnostics session complete!

i will keep you updated once its fitted to see if this cures the flicker!

looking forward to a positive outcome!

Ok quick update alternator hasn't been fitted yet a mechanic friend is doing it as soon as he can squeeze me in (not his garage but his boss lets him work after hours on peoples cars for little jobs as hes still in training) anyway this morning the lights really dipped dim to the point i thought i was loosing them all together! I've just got back from Kwik Fit they did a full battery and alternator test and said the alternator is charging just fine but he thinks the battery isn't big enough? he thinks it should be a 075 if that makes sense? when i got the new battery from euro parts (link in previous post) they said it was the only one listed for this model now im really confused what battery should be fitted to a 2001 focus 1.6 zetec se ?

Update #2 after search the internet for the focus battery out of 12 sites 2 listed the 063 battery (fitted) and the other 10 listed the 075 rung euro parts back explained to them they said its there system that said 063 type but they are happy to exchange the battery for me so will be picking that up as soon as i can get over there.

Go for something like the Bosch S5 or S6, I have one of the Bosch's and its great, does the job brilliantly!

• Like 1

Yeah after looking at a few online i saw good reviews on Bosch think that's the one i will go for thanks for everyone's input on this problem

on another note found the fuse for the reverse light and it was broken replaced fuse and as soon as i selected reverse i heard the fuse go again! probably wait till weekend now then take rear inner arch out and check the wires and lamp holder

12v socket working though again fuse had gone replaced that and the phone charger has life again!

1 definitely done

1 90% done

1 still to do!

what fuse is in the reverse circuit?

10 amp i think found the diagram for the fuse chart and it did state 10 amp aswell

Yeah I think 10amp is right.

Have you cleaned the contacts on the bulb holder? it could be causing some issues?

It could be worth checking all of the bulbs - particularly the stop/tail bulb. I managed to put a single element bulb in there once by mistake - I don't know how it even fitted, but it did. The single contact on the end of the bulb managed to join two circuits together and blew various fuses causing me all manner of problems, and it took me a while to realise what I'd done.

• Like 1

Thats a good thought there BigD

i will check all the bulbs at lunch time would be worth a check i think. also will do the bulb holder i remember an older car i had one of the bulb holders was a green colour inside! on another note the 075 battery didn't make any differance lights still dimming but i did find something that could of been a possible cause this morning see what you think. I took the battery out and then took off the earth cable to the chassis to give it a really good clean with the wire brush and noticed just next to this earth point was another not sure what is for but thought hey its another earthing point clean it! so started to unbolt it think it was a 10mm bolt head anyway a 1/4 of a turn and the head sheers off on closer inspection it was rusted through so i've drilled out the broken bolt cleaned up the chassis for a good contact just need to nip out now and find a replacement bolt never no it could solve my problem if not i will trace each headlight wire back to its earth point and check all them. i read somewhere about another earth cable under the engine on the mount is this true ? as always appreciate your time to read and reply guys

There is the earthing point on the gearbox to look at?

thanks James will check that also the bulb holders are both covered in mud and all sorts! the reverse bulb holder as i thought is green inside on the connections so just ordered the replacements for them!

hopefully a nice easy swap! :)

• Like 1

well i'm all out of ideas had the battery and alternator doubled checked yesterday (went to the garage we use for our work cars and vans) told them the story which now includes the heater fan dipping in power same time as the lights dim! at first they said battery and alt but after testing them said we would need to do a full wire check from all possible sources and that's a few hours labour :(

not sure what to do now is there any other checks i can perform before i have to admit defeat?

has the replacement alternator been fitted?

It sounds like its either the alternator itself, or as our very own JohnH had a similar issue, replaced battery, alternator and the issue persisted.

Turns out that there was a wire going through the wheel arch that was broken, replaced that wire and all was back to life!

The alternator hasn't been done i was reluctant to fit it as 3 separate garages have said its ok I do have a slot with my mechanic friend tomorrow morning was only charging me £30 to swap it out think i will go ahead with it just for peace of mind. whats this wire going through the wheel arch? I don't suppose you have a link to that thread to help locate the wire do you? I'm terrible at navigating this site! thanks for the reply and help so far James.

wow that's an interesting read well I think i'm going to have the alternator fitted tomorrow and see what happens if it continues then will try the smart charge harness (might try to get it on their diagnostics while i'm there!) or at least ask the garage boss what he thinks had a look at the wires around the wheel arch and to be honest couldn't see anything without removing the inner arch so again while its in tomorrow might do it same time.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club