Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6Tdci Oil In Air Inlet And Air Filter.

Siclark

I have a 2005 Focus 1.6TDCi with 79,000 miles and full service history. Everything's been fine until this evening when I noticed alot of smoke coming out of the exhaust, so much that I couldn't see the car behind me ! It doesn't seem too bad at idle but when I drive it on boost there's quite alot of white/blue smoke.

It's only just been serviced a week ago, I checked the oil level and it's right on the max on the dipstick.

I've removed the air inlet pipe between the air box and turbo and it's full of oil, the maf is covered and so is the brand new air filter.

With the engine running with this pipe removed there is quite abit of smoke coming out of the breather on the rocker cover, is this normal ?

The shaft in the turbo seems to have a bit of play in it side to side but I don't think it's too bad, could the turbo be knackered ?

Blue smoke it means that it is burning oil and that might be cause from worn piston rings or problem with valve guide seals, if you see grey smoke then it has something to do with PCV or turbo. If you have black smoke problem (burning more fuel than normal) then it has something to do with air filter, fuel injectors or something else. Let us know so we can help you.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

I'd say it was more like a grey/blue smoke.

I've just had it running from cold, no smoke from exhaust at idle or when revved up to 4000 rpm.

Could it have blown oil from the breather on the rocker into the air inlet pipe due to it being filled right up to the max level ?

was just going say crankcase ventilationm or has been forced thro breather by piston failure.... clean everything up, then have a compression test done on all four cylinders...

Yes clean everything and do a compression test

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I've always had some oil getting through into the airbox and dirtying the filter, but not the thick smoke coming out of the exhaust. There is also an obvious coating of oil on the turbo shaft but it spins freely and with play. I was led to believe that a bit of oil is ok, but a lot suggest something is wrong. Just my experience, but can't suggest any more than has already been said above. The 1.6TDCi is apparently susceptible to turbo failure though

I think its normal to have a thin coating of oil in the turbo/intercooler hoses, but how much play do you have on the turbo?

i believe it is the oil feed pipe to the turbo that is the culprit to the failures on the 1.6, its prone to get clogged up if the oil is not changed regularly

• Like 1

Is that a good reason to change the oil more frequently than specified? I try to do min every 10k miles (instead of 12.5 stated in the book).

Yeah i change it more frequently is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

tbh dude id do it every 6k, and use quality oil ie magnatec, fooks etc...

I've drained some of the oil out this evening so now the level is about 1/2 on the dipstick. I'll clean the intake hose and maf tomorrow and see what happens.

How is the PCM recalibrated ??

I've just cleaned all of the inlet pipe and maf etc.

With the engine warmed up and idling, I can hear the turbo spool up then a fluttering noise from the air box. It does this every few seconds, spool up then flutter etc. I tried revving the engine while it was doing this and it wouldn't rev freely and there was quite abit of blue smoke out the exhaust.

When it stopped the spooling/fluttering noise it revved freely and there was no smoke ! What is causing this ?

Just about to go out for a drive and see what happens so will report back what it does.

I took the car for a long drive last night. Seems to boost fine, was some smoke out the exhaust to start with but I assume it was clearing all the crap out.

Stopped smoking after a while but what I noticed was when driven hard at around 4000rpm there is a loud rattle from the engine, almost sounds like the top of the engine rattling somewhere. Does not do this when revved while stationary only when driven.

Can the turbo make a rattling noise if it's on the way out ?

rattle or knocking or tapping..... ther's a difference....

It's hard to explain but I'd say it's more like a tapping noise, like tappets.

Only does it when driven hard, never under 3500rpm and not at all if revved when stationary.

Sounds like injector knock , inspect the shaft for play and rotors for damage , though as I said I've fixed loads of these with the TSB.

I'm getting really confused with this now. Started it earlier and was a fair bit of blue smoke while idling, when revved there was a cloud of thick black smoke that left a big round black sooty mark on the drive.

Checked the turbo, can't see any damage on the rotors. Shaft does have a little play in it but not sure how much it should have ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club