Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want An Extra Key

jwm

I'd like an additional key for my 2008 Focus Estate.

I presume if I go to Ford it'll cost me an arm and a leg and I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a source of good value keys?

Presumably I need a blank with suitable chip in it, to get it cut to match mine and then go through the procedure in the manual to set the key to work on my car's immobiliser.

Thanks

Buy a new key off eBay and call a couple of auto locksmiths for quotes.

Ford charge big bucks for their keys and always insist on doing unneccesary diagnostics too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3-BUTTON-UNCUT-FLIP-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-for-FORD-FOCUS-MONDEO-CMAX-FIESTA-/331149537650?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item4d1a0cf172

You can programme ther key to your central locking yourself but the immobiliser part has to be coded using an IDS unit via the OBD port (takes seconds).

I keep meaning to get another key done, but they ain't cheap.

Mine only came with one key, but I have key cover on my insurance, so if I ever lost my key, they would come out and sort it within 2 hours. Excess only £25, so I keep thinking I will leave it, and rely on the insurance if I ever lose or break it.

Not sure if that's wise or not

Thanks

My key doesn't look like the one on eBay that you gave a link to Stoney871 - the handle/buttons bit I mean. The blade bit looks similar. Maybe this doesn't matter. I do like the look of it. I guess it's the electronics that matter.

I rang an independent place today and asked how much for a new key and they said £70 for a plain one and £99 for a remote one. Sounds as bad as Ford might charge!?

The key I linked to is the flip version which is fully compatible with your car (and a much desired upgrade for many).

Ford would charge about £100 just for the key and would flatly refuse to touch a self-sourced key and insist you buy one of theirs.

They would also refuse to do anything without doing a diagnostic on the car (another £100ish) and then promptly call out an auto locksmith (most likely one you'd end up using yourself) then charge you two hours labour for the honour.

An auto locksmith would charge £60-£90 and cut, code and programme to the central locking in five minutes flat.

I bought a pair of used (like new) folding keys from a local scrap yard for €25,- a piece. Next I bought some keyblades from a seller on eBay (UK) who sells keyblades which are already cut for your vehicle. You only have to send the key number (from the tag which should be provided with the car) or send a picture of your Original key. As far as I remember I paid about €15,- a piece for a cut keyblade for the Original folding key.

This way a complete original folding key costed me €40,- a piece. The remote control can be programmed without any problems using the procedure which is listed in the instruction manual. Programming of the PATS immobilizer system can only be done with a suitable diagnostic system which has the ability to program the Ford coded PATS system. Because I own A FoCom diagnostic system which has these capabilities I can do the programming myself. Programming of the PATS system is basically a 5 minute job. There is no need to perform a diagnostic on the car. Any Ford dealer, independent garage or locksmith with a suitabel diagnostic system should be able to program the PATS system. In my opinion programming the key should cost less than €40,-. My experience is that some Ford dealers even do it for free for regular customers.

Thanks for that info folks it's very helpful and I am now feeling a lot more confident and informed about this subject.

Unfortunately, I now discover the eBay item in question has sold out but I'll keep an eye out for when it reappears.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club