Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford St Performance Driving Training

gasket

Noticed that in the US, Ford are offering some new Fiesta ST owners a complimentary session at their "ST Octane Driving Experience Centre".

I was a Land Rover driver for 15 years, I used them heavily off road for work and it wasn't until about 8 years ago that I finally had some training from Land Rover that I really learned how to drive them to their potential. Even the first simple half-day training session improved my technique enormously.

Now switched to road cars and have just ordered a Fiesta ST and would be keen to get some similar training, albeit for performance hot-hatch driving.

Does anyone have any recommendations for venues/schools? I'm not really interested in a quick experience day just for thrills - rather I'd like a short course that could help me to get the most out of the little pocket rocket.

Many thanks indeed.

Plant the old right foot to get the most outta the st. Peak power at 3, 500 rpm what more do you need to know?

I get the impression that gasket would like a little more constructive advice than you're offering.

Haha yes my apologies the time of my post says a lot really. It might not be ST but See if the police in your local area do skid pan sessions, I know my dad once got himself on one and said it taught him a lot.

Most tracks offer training of some kind. Won't be specific to your car, but I'm sure it would still be helpful.

Or, go to some amateur motorsport events. The drivers are generally happy to speak to people and give out some great advice if you ask nicely.

There is always learning the way I did? Keep pushing till you crash! Then you'll know what NOT to do!

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

As a primer to performance driving, I strongly recommend the book: "Advanced Driving: How to Further Skill & Enjoyment in Motoring" by John Lyon, and also "Paul Ripley's Expert Driving" is another good 'un to look out for..... both written by advanced driving instructors with experience developping the skills used by Police rapid response drivers, and both previously also appeared in Advanced Driving articles in the now defunct "Performance Car Magazine" in the early 1990's (where the Clarkson off Top Gear used to write until about 1994).

Couple of options to consider:

1. Get yourself on a car handling course, skid pan, etc - Various companies out there, have a search to see if you can find one local. (About £300 to £400 for a full day)

2. Track day - most track days have experienced race drivers available for 'tuition' on the day (although caveat on this is that whilst track driving will certainly teach you how to drive on the limit, it is not really applicable to driving on real roads, with potholes, kerbs, traffic, pedestrians and speed limits!). (From £100 to £500 for a full day).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club