Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Advice On Selling A Car Privately

HShaw

Looking to sell my car very soon.

Anybody have any advice on the best ways/ best places to advertise the car?

Cheers

Autotrader, gumtree, eBay local newspapers or adds in shop windows

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

As above, they are your options lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Forums, and if you're going to any car shows/meets especially make up some signs for the windows as if you can reach like - minded people you're more likely to have an easier time selling :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks guys. Never sold a car privately before! Haven't had the car that long but change of situation means the car needs to go.

from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

and make sure that any potential buyers have the correct insurance with them so they can legally take a test drive.or ammend yours to allow any drivers.

and make sure that any potential buyers have the correct insurance with them so they can legally take a test drive.or ammend yours to allow any drivers.

What would the correct insurance be sorry? Like how could I check it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

well they would need to be fully comp or able to drive someone elses car with permmission.

1 thing you have to bear in mind,god forbid they were on a test drive and got into an accident,they might not be insured and this would cause all invovled a HELL of a lot of trouble.

Yeah that's what my main problem with letting people test drive. I'd feel more comfortable just taking them for a drive but then I know for most people that won't be enough.

Give your insurance company a call, they should be able to advise you on what to look for, or even temporarily adapt your policy to cover any driver.

Might cost you, but at least you know you've covered your !Removed!!!

I'll definitely have to look into that! Hopefully my car will get enough interest to sell fairly quick. Worst case would be getting desperate and selling it to a stealers!

Just ask if anyone wants to test drive to bring there insurance cover letter if it says able to drive other cars it should be ok but alot of companies dont cover like this even if your fully comp

It's worth bearing in mind too that if they can drive your car under their policy it will only be 3rd party, so any damage caused to your car won't be covered.

• Like 1

No cash no test drive, you hold the cash while they hold the keys,

Never meet at your house,

Always claim the car is 100% always,

Keep some auto care paper mats to cover the dirty carpets and tell em its been valeted,

If they begin to talk about a suspension knock or panel rattle: quiclly divert the conversation to "how good the premium stereo sounds"

And advertise the car for sale but set your location as an apartment block around 30 minutes drive from your home,

Meet potential buyers in the car park of that apartment block,

Then when you get the cash for the car.

Walk towards the apartments,

They will of course assume you live there,

No come back on you if theres ever a problem,

Thats how i bought my last car 3 weeks ago

• Like 1

:lol: remind me never to buy a car from you Lenny!

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny! Exactly what I was looking for. Will follow this advice to the letter. :ph34r:

• Like 1

That sounds the best idea ever! We just wait for another new member asking all sorts of advice because they've just bought a heap of junk and can't get in contact with the seller. Best of all, you'll be in the know of all its faults and you will be the good guy for helping them as to where the problems lie. :angel:

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Hey my car isn't a heap of junk!!! But I do like your thinking.

Hey my car isn't a heap of junk!!!

That's the spirit!

• Like 1

That's the spirit!

+1 if the buyer is a boy racer and asks "why are you selling?«

Tell him: " i lost my licence got caught Choppin a Vauxhall Vectra"

if he asks did the vauxhall driver get done too?

Tell him: "nah i was so far ahead of him, the police had me booked and in the back of the van by the time the vauxhall even got close,

If its a good lookin girl:

Tell her " i just got a job promotion and the car no longer represents my financial status"

If its an elderly person and they ask

Tell them: well the cars too economical your trying to chat up the girl on the checkout at the fuel station but the car is so frugal: you rarely ever see her and lacks power. Doesnt make choo choo noises or appeal to my friends and its too easy to park, i like a chalange,

Never ever tell the truth,

And if the carpets wet remember you just got it cleaned and its a bit damp,

I swear to god if i could track down my seller,

Id drive the polo through his !Removed! front window and hand back the keys.

In any case tell them:

Your mate put in an offer on buying it but he's such a boy racer at the wheel, you would really prefer not to have to sell it to him because its never been driven hard, and he would wreck it drivin like he stole it, however he did offer me a bit more than what your offering me now,

• Like 1

Ow and if it leaks oil,

Tell them: i always wax the underbody of the car to prevent the road salt from rusting the body, so if you see oil dripping or oil stains on the body, thats all it is mate nothing to worry about atall,

Don't forget too that it's intentionally devoid of oil and in fact makes a point of consuming any put in. This is to help with weight reduction and also prevent the need for oil filter changes which cuts down on running costs.

I feel our comments aren't being that helpful here Lenny.

• Like 1

Don't forget too that it's intentionally devoid of oil and in fact makes a point of consuming any put in. This is to help with weight reduction and also prevent the need for oil filter changes which cuts down on running costs.

true mart,

Ya know what:

I think you should just buy it mate :) my drive way is full of quality used cars already pal i dont want to be greedy,

Well you are a trustworthy member of the community, and even though I have no need for a second car I can't help but feel like I should buy it. Meet me in a Halfords car park later, don't bother with the paperwork, who needs that anyway. Would you accept my credit card if I give you the pin number?

• Like 1

nah mart,

From personal experience in buying an oil burner,

You leave only 1ltr of oil in the engine,

And tell the buyer "its just been serviced yesterday"

Then when they buy it,

And phone you to say "the oil light has come on"

Then you immediatly blame that !Removed! mechanic whom serviced your car must have drained the oil and forgotten to refill,

It is then a question of "has the buyer damaged seals by driving it without oil"

the new buyer will then assume they caused the consistant oil burning, and leave you alone,

If they ask to speak to the mechanic say no,

Even if they have an oil filter that looks like this from the engine:

IMG_20140415_090905_zps2de6ruar.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club