Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's A Question Of Keys..

desmond

Hi folks, so I have a question about the locks and keys and central locking.. So it looks like at some stage that a previous owner changed the locks on the car, except they didn't change the boot lock!! So the 1 key I got with the car won't open the boot! Is there anyway to modify the lock to work or can I buy a new lock that'll match the others?

Also the car has remote central locking (according to etis) however I never got a Fob with the car either.. I've seen plenty on how to get a new key coded if you have the old one but how do I get a completely new Fob and get it coded?

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It's more likely the previous owner replaced the boot lock but never bothered cjanging the lock barrels over which is a 20 minute job.

The lock is pretty much tamper proof and I don't know of any rebuild kits available for the boot lock.

What year is the car?

A half decent auto locksmith can read the boot lock T-code and cut a key to match the barrel

There are plenty of new uncut keys on eBay, just make sure they are complete (central locking circuit board and immobiliser transponder chip).

Thanks Stoney!

It's a 2002 mk6 Fiesta that I have.. The 1 key I have works for the doors and ignition but not the boot (I have to use the dash button to open!)

I'm hoping I can go the other way and just have 1 key for all things, but based on what you're saying it looks like the only way I can do this is to replace all the locks.

I'll check eBay and see if I can find a complete fob too for the remote locking.. Once I have the new fob how do I get it programmed to the car? Any guides seem to say that I need the old fob

You would need two functioning keys to add any more yourself.

An auto locksmith can add keys using an IDS unit, I'd ring for quotes.

I believe that on your car that if you had two working keys in your possession programmed to the PATS II immobiliser on your car now, you would be able to programme extras to your car yourself (an ability removed from later models).

As you only have one key programmed to the car to add a second key you need someone with access to a programming interface (namely IDS) to plug into your cars diagnostic port to add the second key to your cars PATS II system.

Once you have two keys coded to your car (and any lost/missing keys deleted) you can add up to 6 more keys yourself very easily.

Ah, ok!! Thanks for that! So, based on what you're saying, each key is programmed to the car, so I can't just get a duplicate cut.. It needs to be set to the car too (or the car programmed to accept the key really).

Cheers for all your help!! Now I can actually seen like I know what I'm talking about when I call them!!!

Yep, theres two parts to a central locking fob.

One bit is the battery powered circuit board which locks/unlocks the car.

The other bit is the passive transponder (on most keys a small glass tube like a dog's id chip) it doesn't need power but must be recognised by the car or it won't start.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club