Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattles from underneath my Fiesta

sezimodo

:unsure: I am worried about my Fiesta.

Last week I had the front break pads changed on my 05 Diesel Ghia. All was fine until a few days later i started hearing a metal rattle from the front end of the car (like the noise of a coin in a tin can), whenever i drove over a pothole of speedbump.

That noise went after a couple of days and was replaced with a louder rattle from underneath (again only when i went over a bump). If i accelerate in the 'wrong' gear the engine makes a rumble as well as the diesel chug. I assumed that I had lost a clip off the exhaust, but the garage have checked it and says it all looks fine, exhaust is firmly attached and theres nothing obviously out of place.

There is nothing in the boot, and the spare wheel is firmly secured down.

Any ideas? The garages cant find anything, but the car sounds awful when i drive over a bump and am getting a bit paranoid.

Thanks

Sezimodo

I assume they have been out for a drive with you to hear what it is

• 2 weeks later...
:unsure: I am worried about my Fiesta.

Last week I had the front break pads changed on my 05 Diesel Ghia. All was fine until a few days later i started hearing a metal rattle from the front end of the car (like the noise of a coin in a tin can), whenever i drove over a pothole of speedbump.

That noise went after a couple of days and was replaced with a louder rattle from underneath (again only when i went over a bump). If i accelerate in the 'wrong' gear the engine makes a rumble as well as the diesel chug. I assumed that I had lost a clip off the exhaust, but the garage have checked it and says it all looks fine, exhaust is firmly attached and theres nothing obviously out of place.

There is nothing in the boot, and the spare wheel is firmly secured down.

Any ideas? The garages cant find anything, but the car sounds awful when i drive over a bump and am getting a bit paranoid.

Thanks

Sezimodo

I had a similar noise with my car except it was related to the exhaust, there was some sort of metalic heat gaurd over the exhaust which was loose and rattling around a little bit. since I have had my new Fezza I have had no rattles like it though

I had a similar noise with my car except it was related to the exhaust, there was some sort of metalic heat gaurd over the exhaust which was loose and rattling around a little bit...

Same here. I had a similar rattle...more of a knock really - whenever I went over a bump/uneven surface/pothole etc. This was a few years ago in my Vauxhall Astra. It turned out to be the exhaust pipe wasn't particularly well-fitted & would 'knock' against the chasis every now & again over a bump. That would be my guess as to the problem. Check near the manifold too (as Trav says above) as most cars have a flimsy heat guard that covers the manifold - but the bolts eventually rust & can cause the cover to vibrate/rattle over rough surfaces.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club