Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Revised Engine

Dave_TDCI

Well lads, as we are all aware of the dreaded turbo problems with oil starvation on the 1.6 TDCI engines I'm wondering was there a certain model or year that these engines were revised to stop this from happening? I vaguely remember reading somewhere before that the engines from 09/10 had some change, I think to do with the oil sump or something to make this problem less likely to happen? Just curious :)

i think the 2008 / 2009 changed the position of the feed pipe to keep it away from the dpf to reduce oil cooking. but I think the issues are many, ticking them off is your best defence and changing oil a lot!

after about 2000 miles my oil catch can has kept about 10ml of oil from the turbo air intake, thick oil goo cant be good to ingest!

Dee if you have manage to keep 10ml of oil from the turbo at 2000miles then it's not surprise these turbos are falling at 100,000miles and less. They must be caked in oil come that stage. I don't have a 1.6 TDCI anymore but my last one had 92,000miles on it and had a turbo already replaced and I changed the air filter for a K & N one and the amount of oil sludge build up in the turbo air feeder pipe to the air filter housing itself and covering all that area amazed me. It's a pity because I think the 1.6 TDCI is a really enjoyable engine to drive

The turbo impellor won't get caked in oil. It's spinning fast enough to just blow it straight through into the intercooler...that on the other hand will fill up with oil reducing cooling efficiency. And of course some makes it through to the engine where it's burnt but it's such a small quantity you won't even notice.

I'm not aware of any major design 'fixes' to the DV6 engine myself. Only that the oil drain pipe route changed slightly and that the gauze in the banjo bolt was removed. From 2009 they fitted a coated DPF which is much better than the useless Eolys one, reducing backpressure on the turbo and reducing the DPF blockages that lead to fuel-thinned oil. From 2011 (I think) they changed to an 8 valve head and also fitted a slightly different turbo so may have made further improvements at that point.

I must admit I'm not impressed with the DV6 at all. It looks so good on paper but just doesn't deliver in reality. Only good thing about it is the £30 tax, but tbh I'd rather pay £100 extra tax to get something faster and without so many faults. MPG wouldn't be much worse either, in fact I've had cars with nearly twice the power doing better MPG!

• Like 1

dv6 been a disaster for not only ford, but peugeot/citroen, volvo, mini. and probably other brands.the oil blockages was confined to the earlier focus up to around 2008/9 im guessing and as tom just said the earlier dpf with fuel additive. after that its was just the other problems .

as for the newer 2011 era engine, it is far better and more reliable,(still has occasional issue or two)

im not a fan of diesel cars , never had one , never will.

• Like 1

the amount of oil that I found all the way up to the intake manifold was staggering, combine that lot with the crap spewing out the EGR and you end up with sticky lumpy crap caked to everything. if that lot can get back in to the oil it would explain the lumps.

Yeah that's what I find so hard to understand. You would say something if it was just a bit of a design flaw for Ford but when you think of the amount of different car brands that this engine is fitted to it's shocking. I just find it hard to see how so many different car manufactures can use an engine with such an expensive potential problem and that it's still be fitted to brand new models today.

I appreciate some of the trouble is just sheer neglect, too many people in Ireland and the UK don't maintain or service there cars on time and this is an engine that can't stand any neglect but even still it was always something I had in the back of my mind while I owned one and I serviced and maintained it religously.

And because of 2009 when they changed the DPF which helped a bit, would that mean you would still be far safer getting the 90bhp 1.6 tdci version rather than the 110bhp as that doesn't have a DPF fitted therefore meaning there's far less back pressure to the turbo on those models?

Hi

I have had 3 Foci with the DV6 engine (1.6 tdci)

2010 60 plate 109 ps (DV6-TED4)

2012 12 plate 115 ps (DV6-C)

2013 13 plate 115 ps (DV6-C)

No problems on any of them

Current Car in signature has 19500 miles on the clock Just been serviced. No turbo problems

Jamie

Hi

I have had 3 Foci with the DV6 engine (1.6 tdci)

2010 60 plate 109 ps (DV6-TED4)

2012 12 plate 115 ps (DV6-C)

2013 13 plate 115 ps (DV6-C)

No problems on any of them

Current Car in signature has 19500 miles on the clock Just been serviced. No turbo problems

Jamie

You don't keep them long enough for turbo problems! :D
  • Like 2

shhhhh dont tell them that :P

LOL :-)

The fault that i keep having is the stop start turns itself off (light illuminates seconds after engine starts

I'd be really gutted if I had a turbo problem 19500 miles and one way to reduce the chance of problems is not to keep the car long enough! Mines been ok untiil now after 8 years and 106k miles - touch wood. Regular oil changes and mainly motorway miles must help, as well as getting rid of the dpf a couple of years ago. I've had the egr blanking plate on the list of things to get fitted but not got around to it yet.

which reminds me need to get mine fitted if it every stops raining here

I'd be really gutted if I had a turbo problem 19500 miles and one way to reduce the chance of problems is not to keep the car long enough! Mines been ok untiil now after 8 years and 106k miles - touch wood. Regular oil changes and mainly motorway miles must help, as well as getting rid of the dpf a couple of years ago. I've had the egr blanking plate on the list of things to get fitted but not got around to it yet.

get that plate on mate, mine had 50k on the clock without a plate on the egr and I ran a borescope through the inlet manifold and its truly shocking, the oil from the breather is combining with the soot and making a right mess in there, further down in to the engine there is clear baked on carbonisation restricting air flow. ive also added an oil catch can to help this further, collected jut under 10ml in 2000 mmiles

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club