Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Power To Obd Diagnostic Port

hifromrich

Hi all,

In the last few days a 'Engine System Failure' message has appeared on the dash together with the car going into limp mode. (2006 Focus 1.6TDCI).

I've got several OBD code readers but neither of them will power up using the diagnostic port, both readers have worked on the car before. I've put a multimeter to the power pins but not getting anything.

Has anyone had any experience of this before?

Have you checked the relevant fuse?

I've checked a few fuses, although it's not clear from the diagram which fuse it uses.

Some references online say it uses Fuse 39 (12v Outlet), that was blown but now works fine and some say Fuse 46 (Instrument cluster/on board diagnostics) but that checked out OK.

I suppose I might have to check them all, just in case.

Hi, a little OT but, where is the OBD port on the mondeo 2015 and what app can you use on the android phone or iPad? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've checked a few fuses, although it's not clear from the diagram which fuse it uses.

Some references online say it uses Fuse 39 (12v Outlet), that was blown but now works fine and some say Fuse 46 (Instrument cluster/on board diagnostics) but that checked out OK.

I suppose I might have to check them all, just in case.

Ok, I've checked all the fuses and all are ok. Could there be a fuse for it somewhere else?

Could it be a fuse under the bonnet? I'm not familiar at all but it could be.

Fuse 46 it should be if your car made after12/2005, before is fuse 44

• Like 2

Have you got 12v at those fuses? And no voltage at dlc pin 16? And you have earth on pin4?

If you do have power to fuse but not at dlc then theres a break in the circiut somewhere, you need to trace the pin on connector of cjb and do resistance check between connector pin and dlc pin 16.

If you do have power to fuse but not at dlc then theres a break in the circiut somewhere, you need to trace the pin on connector of cjb and do resistance check between connector pin and dlc pin 16.

I'll re-check those fuses and see if i've got power there. If it's shared with the instrument cluster then it should be ok as it works fine.

I think i'll do another check on the pins tomorrow. Thanks all for the input.

Ok, problem solved. It was as simple as replacing a missing fuse! Oddly it was a fuse in a slot listed as 'Unused' in both of the different fuse box diagrams I found!

Thats good, now you can let us know what your engine light on was.

• Like 1

Thats good, now you can let us know what your engine light on was.

Yep, the P2002 DPF efficiency code was present and the other one was P0380 Glow Plug circuit.

Both have now cleared off as current codes, but it's still in limp mode with the little red LED and Engine System Fault on the dash.

Apparently it's not uncommon for a faulty glow plug to bring up this warning as they are used for other tasks other than just starting the car. I think changing these is the next step forward although i'm conscious of the fact that (as far as I know) the car is still on its original DPF with 112k!

Thats good, normaly dont get past 80k, you need a proper dtc check that reads more than the generic codes of than a normal reader.

• Like 1

Thats good, normaly dont get past 80k, you need a proper dtc check that reads more than the generic codes of than a normal reader.

Well, I bought the car with 79k on the clock and there's nothing in the service history to say that it had been replaced, but I suppose it could have!

Yes i'm going to get it booked in to get a garage to have a look, i'd change the plugs myself but they don't look easy to get too. Also going to have a look at the hoses for the DPF to see if it's causing the P2002 code.

Mine needed glow plugs replacing not long after I got it, mine had 63K or 68K on it when I bought it. And yes glow plugs can cause the red engine light and limp home mode.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club