Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Canbus Or Not

joe bloggs

does my 2008 Focus Zetec have canbus or not?

thanks in advance guys

yes i had to use a relay box when i fitted the tow bar because its cambus :)

Does a 2005 MK2 also have a CANBUS? (Slight thread highjack)

yes same car just not face lifted

• 1 year later...

I guessing yes, but Focus Estate Style TDCi 2009, canbus? I read in another forum that any ford before 2013 was non-canbus so just trying to clarify...thank you!

41 minutes ago, narra1985 said:

I guessing yes, but Focus Estate Style TDCi 2009, canbus? I read in another forum that any ford before 2013 was non-canbus so just trying to clarify...thank you!

Almost all Fords designed since about 2001 have a CANBUS of some sort. All Mk2 & Mk2a Foci have two CANbusses. The Mk3 Focus has three CANbusses and several LIN busses.

But the usual reason people ask about this is because of the lighting circuits, whether for LED upgrades, or towing mods. And for this, the presence or absence of a CANBUS is almost entirely irrelevant. All the advertising stuff about "CANBUS freindly" bulbs and things is very misleading. There is no direct link between intelligent light fittings that sense the current drawn, and a CANBUS in the car. Similarly with "intelligent" towing modules that can modify the whole performance of a car when a trailer is attached. It is the module that matters, not whether the car has a CANbus.

On the Mk2 (and 2a) Focus, very few of the lights are monitored for current. Indicator bulbs possibly, but then that has always been the case from the days of thermal-magneitc indicator driver units, decades ago.

On the Mk2 (&2A) Focus, you can use a basic, cheap relay unit to add the trailer wiring. I have done it. It is always a good idea to use some sort of relay unit, it saves damage to the car's wiring & fuses if the trailer wiring gets damaged: That happened to me too. The cable got trapped in the handbrake, and shorted out an indicator. Blew up the (cheap) relay, but no damage to the car.

If a car has warning lights that come on when a bulb fails (or is removed), then there will be some current monitoring, and an LED may need some sort of ballast resistor somewhere to bump up the load. Otherwise it should be fine to fit ordinary, low power LEDs.

LED lifetime is extremely temperature dependent. Fitting a high power ballast resistor inside a LED bulb, to make it "CANBUS friendly" (I hate that term!), is a really good way to drastically shorten the life of the LED.

Hi Peter, thank you for the confirmation. 

I fit a tow bar and am just finishing up the electrics for the 7 pin adapter. The wiring, in principal, is all very straightforward electrics, but adding a replay required 12V. I didn't like the idea of sending a 12V line all the way from the battery so I was hoping to use the rear 12V port, as seems to be on dedicated 20 A fused line (shared with front 12V port). 

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting 12V from the rear port. Possibly I made a short while splicing in the 12V to the relay. The fuse seems fine and the front 12V is operational, so I can only conclude that something is a bit dodgy with the wiring thereafter.

Anyway, the reason for my canbus question was because I was thinking if I actually need the relay at all (if not then it would remove my need to the 12V). But, I like your tip about it, at very least, offering protection for the car wiring, so I will continue to get the 12V line operational.

Thanks for you info! 

43 minutes ago, narra1985 said:

I was hoping to use the rear 12V port

Yes, I wired my relay straight off the power outlet port in the boot.

It is a bit of a pain if the power port is not working. Check F119 (15A) though. On my drawing, it shows this as the fuse for the rear power port.

The Green/Yellow wire to pin 1 of the reversing sensor module is 12v from the ignition switch. It is only a 10A fuse (F100), but would do as a temporary measure, maybe.

• Like 1

Peter, you are were absolutely right! F119 was correct. Unfortunately, it took me until 3 in the morning to figure this out after having probed the entire 12V and ground line back to the fuse box. With all appearing to be intact, to decide to revisit the fuse table and finally realising F119! I was very happy at the time. All is working perfect and, if anything, I learnt a lot about the internal wiring! During that time I also decided to remove all of the scotch clips (after one failed on me) and strip and solder each light cable nice and neatly to makes things more robust. 

I have ordered a fuse kit and I think will put a 20A (temporarily I am using the front 12V 25A fuse). 

Anyway, thanks for your prompt help. Next time I will ask before I try!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi I'm needing to find out what electrical 7 pin hook up for a trailer I require for my Ford galaxy 59 plate please and how easy is it to fit

10 hours ago, Kerrie Nisbet said:

Hi I'm needing to find out what electrical 7 pin hook up for a trailer I require for my Ford galaxy 59 plate please and how easy is it to fit

I think there are only two practical options:

1) Use a basic 7 pin relay unit that usually comes with a socket, and is available from any towbar supplier & many other places. It provides the needed indicator buzzer, and isolates the car lighting circuits from the trailer. It will be fine for a smaller trailer well inside the car's tow limit, or occasional, short distance use with a bigger one. You may have to find a way to disable the reversing sensors, if fitted to the car. I have a simple 2 way switch, so when I switch the relay unit on, it removes power to my (aftermarket) reverse sensors. The Ford park aid for the Focus does have a simple disable input.

2)  Use the Ford Tow module specific to the car, and probably only available from Ford dealers. It would probably have to be fitted and programmed in to the car by them also. So it will be very much more expensive. However it can adapt the car's characteristics like traction control, abs & ESP to suit towing. For towing big caravans or boat trailers over long distances, this is probably the best route.

For caravans, I think the newer 13 pin system is more or less obligatory on new systems now. It can also be used on other trailers, and provide them with reversing lights.

• 2 years later...

Hi. Does my Ford Focus MK2 (2010) have canbus or not? Or do I need to connect the line to canbus box (number 1), that came with the android radio? Or do I make the other connection (number 2)? Thank you for the answers!

Screenshot_4.jpg

2010 Focus has Canbus  

When I fitted my Android based head unit it was initially keeping can bus awake and it wouldn’t lock the doors properly. Pretty sure I had to disconnect the plugs similar to 2 on your photo above - it was actually in the instructions somewhere but I’d missed it. 

Best to try it all with the parts loose fitted before fully fixing into the fascia and fitting to the dash. 

Sorry, but I'm feeling now a little dumb. Should I keep the box (number 1) connected and disconnect the plugs (number 2) or to connect the plugs and disconnect the box?

No problem

Definitely keep the box #1 as this does the canbus work for steering wheel controls etc 

Also try disconnecting plugs 2 as suggested above. 

Thank you 👍 radio works already.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Ford Focus 2007 and use Ts7 Android, do I need a Canbus decoder box to use steering wheel control? 

I would expect so yes

3 hours ago, NightFury said:

do I need a Canbus decoder box to use steering wheel control? 

Or Harry Potters wand 😉

• Haha 1

The steering wheel (audio) controls (SWC) is just an analog resistance circuitry where every button has a different resistance value. It is a misconception that the SWC has anything to do with CANbus.

Most Chinese aftermarket audio systems have the ability to process the analog SWC resistance circuitry just like the original audio system without the need of a CANbus box. On these systems there is no need to use a CANbus box to make the SWC functionality work.

Some Chinese aftermarket audio systems however lack the ability to process the analog SWC resistance circuitry (cutting costs by deleting these components). On these systems the CANbus box is used to process the analog SWC resistance circuitry and converts the analog signal into a digital serial communication.

The CANbus box is basically just a gateway:

Vehicle CANbus communication / analog SWC signal -> Vehicle specific CANbus box -> Digital Serial communication -> Chinese aftermarket audio system.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club