Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to a TDCI, and Problems....

alfacloverleaf

Hello all, fairly new to Fords, as the name suggests more of an Alfa guy really but a Fiesta is much easier to work on!

So on to business

I bought a Fiesta TDCI mk6 with a leaky injector seal so it sounded like a steam train. So I replaced all the injector seals with genuine Ford parts (much cheaper!) and also did the cambelt as it was clear it was original.

On restarting the original chuffing sound has gone, but there is a loud hiss at 2000rpm upwards and six fault codes stored {more of which later) I am not sure whether this hissing sounds was there previously and just obscured by a louder one orwhether is is new and I have casused it. I also replaced the inlet manifold seal as I thjought that would be good practice. I cannot find any leaks but it sounds like it is at the front of the engine and the turbo rather than the injector area

The codes I get relate to fuel rail pressure, TDC position sensor (turned the car over with it not fitted when doing the belt), temp sensor because its a cold day, something about fuel injector connector. 

So, is the cameblt messed up (done one before no issue and used pins to lock the sprockets and paint marks as back up, all ok. Or is there some part of the injector work not gone right although I have double checked both.

And does FORScan allow the codes to be cleared or just allows reading them?

Eitherway, message of doom is on the dash and now wont rev over 2000.

Ideas gents?

Cheers

Which engine is it? The 1.4 or the 1.6? What code numbers are they? Have you checked that the rail pressure connector wasn't knocked/disconnected when the intake manifold was taken off?

Hi, thx for the reply, its the 1.4.

I haver had another play with Forscan and have managed to remove most of them, leaving P0200 which is an injector fault of some sort. That said I did not drive round this time so it may change. It is still in limp home mode and I can hear the hissing sound, which is constant, not changing in pitch or rhythmic like the injector seal. I take it the EAC fail on the dash is connected with the engine, or is that something else!

Cheers

Right, bit of an update

I am thinking the new hissing sound is the wastegate opening, and that is how the limphome system works, kills the power at 2000rpm, above that no power, drops below and power is restored. Seeing as it was hissing before I did the belt, I can, as I expected, remove any wrong doing in the belt area. It also explains why I can here the hissing in the turbo area.

So that just leaves the injector problem, the car drives fine up to 2000rpm, clean power delivery, no excess smoke and no noises. I marked eash injector to make sure they went back in the same order they were removed, so that is not it either. 

I need to goback and check my work I guess, although there is not much there to go wrong, bolt it in properly and connect it up!

just thought, is there anyway on ForScan I can determine which injector is at fault? Maybe some crud (the was quite a bit of carbon to remove) got into the injector or the lines and is restricting the fuel flow?

Have you checked that there aren't any boost leaks at all in the pipework - might find that it hits boost above 2krpm and then you have no power as a pipe leaks all the boost.

Also check that you didn't catch the fuel lines under the OEM airbox as well - sometimes these can get pinched when taking parts on and off.

I am guessing the car doesn't sound like a steam train on idle anymore though?

Hi, thx for the suggetions

The car no longer sounds like Puffing Billy, and you are spot on M1tch, I trapped the main leak off pipe with the airbox, and that was throwing up the injector fault.

Then using some tissue on the end of a screwdriver I found No3 was blowing so removed it and some crud must have dropped in there when putting the injector back in, clean it up and used very fine wet and dry down the hole to get the last bits off and all is good again.

Thx for your help 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2016 at 5:39 PM, alfacloverleaf said:

Hi, thx for the suggetions

The car no longer sounds like Puffing Billy, and you are spot on M1tch, I trapped the main leak off pipe with the airbox, and that was throwing up the injector fault.

Then using some tissue on the end of a screwdriver I found No3 was blowing so removed it and some crud must have dropped in there when putting the injector back in, clean it up and used very fine wet and dry down the hole to get the last bits off and all is good again.

Thx for your help 

Glad its sorted, its usually the simple things that seem to have issues, its quite hard to keep certain parts of the diesel engine perfectly clean - glad the lapping of the seals worked, should be ok for a while now.

Injector #3 is commonly the problematic one re: the turbo failure problem.  

I'd recommend oil change every 5k rather than the ford service schedule. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club