Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Ford Fiesta on its way out?

R1an

Hello, I'm new here but realise there's a wealth of experience and good opionions here. 

My Fiesta 1.4 tdci (06) recently started leaking oil from the turbo at the top and a significant amount of white smoke at times coming out the back of my car (seems to go and then come back), does mean I need a new turbo? Also the cam belts due and coolant needs changing. Thing is last year I got the injector seals replaced which cost a lot, new brakes, new tyres and new suspension springs. Is it time to ditch my car and move on or is it worth repairing. Should I cut my losses now?

Any help or advice is really appreciated

injector seals, new brakes, new springs in 1 year, that is pennies compares to what I  spent repairing my focus in the last 9months. now I'm told head gaskegone again and ge won't redo it so have to pay outr for that,also need ene mount, new turbo oil feed pipe,mayb e gearbox, need wiring loom to maf fixing .

a recon turbo for your car will c so maybe you should stop drivingost around £200, a cambelt around £350 but once done won't ndoing for 3ears.

sounds like you can't afford to keep it on the road so maybe you should stop driving

1 hour ago, Fastlife91 said:

injector seals, new brakes, new springs in 1 year, that is pennies compares to what I  spent repairing my focus in the last 9months. now I'm told head gaskegone again and ge won't redo it so have to pay outr for that,also need ene mount, new turbo oil feed pipe,mayb e gearbox, need wiring loom to maf fixing .

a recon turbo for your car will c so maybe you should stop drivingost around £200, a cambelt around £350 but once done won't ndoing for 3ears.

sounds like you can't afford to keep it on the road so maybe you should stop driving

What an insulting thing to say!

The work described would still be cheaper than buying a new car though, so if you can do the work yourself I'd quote up the parts, or if you'd be getting it fixed by a mechanic take it in and get a quote.

It is at least worth finding out where you stand before writing the car off.  It may be cheaper than you think.

• Like 1

Should've cut your losses last year imo...  But now you've done that work, might as well go ahead and sort the other bits this year assuming the rest of the car is in good nick.

I only kept the Vectra a whole year because in the first week it needed a new spring (snapped!), tyre and a £70 thermostat...  Wasn't gonna sell up before getting my money's worth even though I hated the car! :laugh:

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Should've cut your losses last year imo...  But now you've done that work, might as well go ahead and sort the other bits this year assuming the rest of the car is in good nick.

I only kept the Vectra a whole year because in the first week it needed a new spring (snapped!), tyre and a £70 thermostat...  Wasn't gonna sell up before getting my money's worth even though I hated the car! :laugh:

That's the same situation my grandfather was in with his Meriva.  It cost close to £1,000 to get through the last MOT but because he had spent a lot on paintwork shortly before, the amount of money lost in getting rid of it would have outweighed the repairs.  

It's strange you should say that about your Vectra's spring, as in my MOT history searching I have found that they always have fails or advisories for them! 

Vectra's and Mondeo's are always breaking springs and I have no idea why!!  It's one of the most common fails on them.  I couldn't really ignore mine until MOT though...

BrokenVectra083_zpsa9d4b021.jpg

Never could trust it after that.  That was about half a mile at 30mph, dread to think what would've happened had it been at 70mph with nowhere to stop...

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Vectra's and Mondeo's are always breaking springs and I have no idea why!!  It's one of the most common fails on them.  I couldn't really ignore mine until MOT though...

BrokenVectra083_zpsa9d4b021.jpg

Never could trust it after that.  That was about half a mile at 30mph, dread to think what would've happened had it been at 70mph with nowhere to stop...

That's bad, even by my standards!  Looked like a decent tyre too, shame.  I know what you mean about the trust issues.  As much as I hate to say it, after the gear linkage and then the handbrake cables detached leaving us with no gear selection on one occasion and no handbrake on the other, I couldn't fully trust the Focus again.  Same as with our old Rover when the HG failed, even after it was sealed my eye was always glued to the temperature gauge.

That tyre was only about a month old iirc.  The spring snapped the day after I bought it.  Had it delivered by previous owner.  Next day coming off the driveway I heard a 'thunk' and just assumed a caliper was unsticking after the rain.  Drove about quarter of a mile with plumes of smoke and an awful burning smell...no-one even flashed me!  Pulled over to check and nothing appeared to be wrong, all tyres inflated, no oil under the bonnet or in the exhaust (thought turbo may've popped), somehow the ride height was even unaffected!

Moved off and plumes of smoke again, turned round and drove home as obviously something was wrong.  Jacked it up and saw that...threw a rage fit... :laugh:  Even more annoying, all my tools were in the old car on Nans driveway 5 miles away as it was about to be broken for parts! 

I never really trust anyone or anything lol.  But things like that keep happening to me in various cars!  A blown headgasket caused a radiator hose to explode outside college one night.  A brake shoe failed and locked the drum solid at 50mph forcing me into a ditch on a blind bend.  Turbo oil seal failed causing plumes of white smoke and the lack of oil caused internal engine damage.  A faulty rear suspension beam caused me lose the rear end of the car in a huge tank !Removed!. (that's supposed to be sl4pper, only offensive if you live in EastEnders)

Buying different cars hasn't worked though, don't think I'll ever fully trust one, even if it was brand new. :sad:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club