Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta MK5 build

Saddened

Hello!

My name is Matej from Slovenia and I currently own a 2007 FIesta ST which I dumped a whole lot of money into to make it quicker and more stylish. I wanted a NA Fiesta that looked special so I spent a lot of money building it and bringing out the HP. I do not mind it either, but it was my first project and I have made a lot of mistakes that cost me a lot of money. I did learn though. Simplicity is key, stock look draws far less attention, suspension and power is more important than looks.

RIght now, I am in the process of selling my MK 6.5 ST and when I do, I would like to go on to the next project. Do it right this time. Money wise, project cars are a bottomless trap hole and considering this could end up being the third car I want it to be cheap this time around.

My idea was to buy a basic MK4 and go from there. But then I thought how much more like a modern Ford the MK5 looks with those lights.

So what I want to do is:

Ford Fiesta MK5, 3 door, 1.3 engine

-no power steering

-no AC

-no radio

-swap the front seats for more supportive aftermarket lightweight seats, lose the rear seat and put a nice carpet in instead

-aftermarket steering wheel

-swap the engine for Puma 1,7 125HP Duratec and modify it

-good air intake

-bigger throttle body

-full aftermarket exhaust

-mild camshafts

-a remap

-swap the suspension and brakes for Pumas and modify them

-add front and rear anti-roll bars

-add Poly Bushes and mounts

-lowering springs (maybe coilovers)

-light set of rims, most likely something from OZ Racing (still 15")

-wide tires (195 instead of 155?)

-wheel spacers if needed

-Zetec S bumpers

-custom wider wheel arches to fit the wider wheels

I will be buying used parts, conversion parts, the 2 cars I need are under 500€ both.

I estimate total cost with labor between 2 and 3 thousand euros which I am willing to invest for a car like that.

I am turning to you good people to asses my idea and give criticism. I also need you to share your experience with certain things I have not done research on yet or couldn't find any good answers.

1.7 Duratec Engine from Puma:

1.7 Puma engine and transmission should fit into the MK4 bolt on. Is that the case with MK5 as well? Will any modifications be required?

Camshafts. Does any other engine share the same camshafts as the 1.7? 

Exhaust manifold. Does any other engine share the same exhaust manifold?

Throttle body. I would go for a 5mm wider throttle body (maybe 10mm if it fits), are the holes for the bolts same as on other (2.0 litre or bigger) engines?

Wiring. A 1.3 engines wiring probably won't be good. Do I remove the entire wiring for the entire car and swap it or is there another way?

Transmission. Is it in the exact same place, so the gearbox lever comes into the cabin in the same spot? Opinions on a short shifter?

Suspension:

I read that the suspension from Puma should fit perfectly too. I think I will be able to figure out how to swap them. Is there anything Puma/MK5 FIesta specific I should know?

Are there aftermarket anti-roll bars for front and rear of this little car? Do any of them come standard?

Should I go for coilovers (used) or just lowering springs? I am not going too low. 25-30mm only.

Opinions on home made strut braces for front and rear opposed to aftermarket parts?

Puma should have rear discs. Will the braided lines from Puma fit exactly on to the MK4-5 Fiesta or do I need new lines? I plan on keeping ABS and power brakes from Puma if it has them. ABS is important :)

How wide should I go with the tires?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club