Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical whine/buzz type sound from near coolant reservoir

Jason87

Notice my tdci has a sort of whine/buzz coming from the area near the coolant resevoir, the noise changes as I turn the wheel, is this Anythjng bad? 

The Electro-Hydraulic Steering pump is just below the drivers side headlamp, not far from the reservoir.

Some sort of sound from this will be normal as the steering wheel is turned, or if there is any force applied to it (assuming the engine is running).

Perhaps check the fluid level in the reservoir (I have a mk 2 Focus, & the cap is easily visible if the headlamp is removed).

If the level is ok, if the steering feels ok, if the warning light or message for the steering stays off, and the noise does not appreciably change, then I do not think there is anything to worry about. These steering units are usually very reliable.

Peter.

• Like 1

It was a constant sound and it changes when I move the wheel which must mean it's the steering pump, but I don't know if the sound is normal being constant or means a fault? 

i think the whine is coming from the air intake system, where the air comes up from the intercooler and joins the hand plastic part that I think is the bypass for the turbo? there is a connector there which I think might be the anti shudder? sounds like its coming from there

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club