Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting insurance to MOT and tax SORN vehicle

mike6688

I currently have a second car that's been off road a while. It is SORN, has no insurance (on private driveway) and no tax. I'm hoping to be able to get it booked in for an MOT and service soon. I know it can be driven to and from a pre booked MOT test without tax. However, I need insurance and believe insurance is invalid if a car has no MOT or tax? Does anyone know of any insurance company that would give temp cover to allow me to get the car to garage and back for the purpose of getting an MOT?

• Like 1

You can legally drive the car to a pre-booked MOT without tax, but it will need to be insured (as you said).  Obviously in the event of an accident you'd be pretty much screwed, but legally speaking any insurance will cover it if you were pulled over.  Insurers don't do MOT or Tax checks when insuring the vehicle, so you won't be refused - but as I said, if you had to claim that'd be another matter...

Another option would be to get a garage to pick it up and take it there themselves, which some do. 

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for short term insurance if you like.

Regards,

Dan.

I would phone up the company you plan on going with. I suspect you may well be covered providing it is only going for its pre booked mot but might depend on the company. 

It's your duty to ensure your vehicle is road worthy, so regardless if it has an mot or not it needs to be safe. 

Thanks everyone for your replies. The cars been checked by my neighbour who builds cars and all should be fine, just the insurance needed. 

Thanks Dan, I'll give Adrian Flux a call as it's who I'm currently with on my main car and see if they will cover it short term for this purpose if not I'll get it towed or picked up. 

Ok no worries.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club