Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 gearbox oil change

m1tch

Hi all,

My 1.4 TDCi mk6 has just clicked over to just 120k miles, I am guessing that the gearbox oil should be changed at some point although I know some Mercedes gearbox oils are 'sealed for life' - just wondering what the usual service life is. Also where the drain and fill plugs are, I can't see any fill plug on the top or side of the box - there are LOADS of pipes and cables over the top of the box. The gearbox itself shifts fine and its smooth so I am guessing the oil has either been changed previously or its not something of concern.

Thanks in advance!

The drain plug should be at the lowest point of the box.   If you can't find a fill point you can probably use the hole that the gear change lever goes into.

18 hours ago, Bobr said:

The drain plug should be at the lowest point of the box.   If you can't find a fill point you can probably use the hole that the gear change lever goes into.

Thanks will take a look around next time I am under the car, hopefully the fill hole will be easy to get at as there is a LOT of pipework on the top of that box!

I always change the gear box oil at 50,000 miles.   In 63 years of motoring have never had a gearbox problem.

On 9/10/2016 at 3:51 PM, iantt said:

no change interval

On 9/10/2016 at 8:54 PM, Bobr said:

I always change the gear box oil at 50,000 miles.   In 63 years of motoring have never had a gearbox problem.

Thanks guys, I will still look to change it at some point but if there isn't an interval then its not a higher priority, I know that the Mercedes 'sealed for life' oil does have a change interval at something like 250k miles so some of the OM606 engines will need the box oil changed a few times during its life. Will see if I can find the filling port on the box next time I am in the engine bay though.

There is no drain plug as there is no need to change or drain . As for level plug its behind the plastic cover

Surely the box, clutch or driveshaft will fail at some point so it'll get changed then anyway?  I wouldn't worry about doing it otherwise.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club