Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford st cluch gone after 6 month 7400 miles

John mc

Help I bought a new ford fiesta st in mar 2016 it has 7,400 miles and is six MONTHS OLD the clutch has gone in the car called the AA they brought it into the garage the garage has just looked at it and said it was my fault and would not be covered by warranty what can I do.

Hello and welcome John

Sounds like one used and abused ST if clutch has failed 7.400 Miles and 6 months old.

How many miles have you driven it since taking ownership?

Have you been driving in a silly manner.?

The garage needs to clearly state how they have come to the conclusion that it's your fault In writing.

Most warrantee cover fair wear and tear. How do the garage know how the car was driven previously to you buying it.

Be honest, Have you been a loon in it?

Have got in touch with customer relations and they are of no help. the AA mechanic said it was not burnt as he would be able to smell it, he said the garage would try and say it was my fault which is what has happened.

When in march 2016 did you buy it?

For first 6 months, it is the dealers responsibility to prove the fault was not present at the point of sale.

Otherwise if it's already more than 6 months, you need to try and stand your ground, say it has not lasted a reasonable amount of time.

If they won't budge, say you'll have to have an independent engineer assess it and provide a report to prove it is faulty manufacturing and they will be liable for cost of repair and the engineers report under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Say you'll also be forced to get trading standards involved.

If they still don't budge, get the report done and take it back to them proving it was faulty and with the bill for the report.

Still no budging it's trading standards time.

• Like 1

Is it actually the friction material that has worn down?  I can't believe that would happen in 7,400 miles, even if you were driving it like you stole it!! 

• Like 1

Got to talk to John Tissiman a manager in customer Relationship all he wanted to do was talk me down and when i said about the AA report all he said was he did not recognise them, i asked why did Ford use them for there recovery. I asked how did they know the car  had not been driven correctly and he said the tyres were worn in the end up he put the phone down on me . THAT'S CUSTOMER RELATIONS  FOR YOU

Customer relations are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The only part of Ford that is more than fob offs is Brentwood HQ.

You need to remember that each dealership is a franchise and treat them as such. An independent dealer.

Your contract of sale is with the dealer, not Ford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

Have you been driving like a lunatic?

Of course not, it's only an ST after all 

• Like 1

For clutch friction material to 'wear' down, then it's a either user or release bearing. 

A manufacturing fault would likely have the face break up, rather than wear down. So do you slip the clutch and attempt burnouts, wheelspin, drag races etc? Be honest your amongst fellow loonies/enthusiasts  except some of us have aged  

Has there been any odd noises when dipping the clutch? If the release bearing was sticking, the clutch could be sticking in a semi engaged state. Has s would lead to slip and friction wear.

• Like 1

Guys we are talking about a brand new car here which has 7K odd miles on it and is only 6 months old.

There is absolutely no way anyone can kill a clutch in 6 months and that mileage on a brand new car, unless riding the clutch constantly and wheel spinning and harsh gear changes etc.

To kill a clutch in less than 10K miles on a brand new car just is impossible.

I would go back to the dealer and ask for proof that it is your driving that has damaged it, then write to Ford head office about it and the treatment you have received.

It is under manufacturer warranty so the garage shoudl strip it to diagnose the fault, then they shoudl repair it and claim for the repairs from Ford direct, sadly a lot of garages try and avoid claiming under warranty for whatever reasons and the owner gets told oh it's your fault.

If they are still not forthcoming then reject the car as not fit for purpose.

Amazingly we all think we're the best driver in the world but in reality we're not! Anyone can burn a clutch out and some do, in less time than others, the fact his tyres are also worn might be the decider in this....any photos of said worn tyres?

If it was a 1.1 NA Fiesta then yes I'd agree  instead we are referring to a 180bhp pocket rocket. Improper use could fry a clutch way quicker than 7.4k miles. I agree a strip down is required but still could be user error. 7,400 mile could be 30,000 1/4 mile drag races after all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Russ said:

Amazingly we all think we're the best driver in the world but in reality we're not! Anyone can burn a clutch out and some do, in less time than others, the fact his tyres are also worn might be the decider in this....any photos of said worn tyres?

That's true, but I think you'd know if your driving was so appalling that you could kill a clutch in less than 10k!  You'd have to be constantly riding the clutch, which would be completely obvious unless the driver had no knowledge of driving/vehicle mechanics whatsoever.  It definitely isn't something you could do and then say "I didn't do it!", unless you were blatantly lying.

18 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

That's true, but I think you'd know if your driving was so appalling that you could kill a clutch in less than 10k!  You'd have to be constantly riding the clutch, which would be completely obvious unless the driver had no knowledge of driving/vehicle mechanics whatsoever.  It definitely isn't something you could do and then say "I didn't do it!", unless you were blatantly lying.

Some people don't realise their driving is appalling. My own son burnt a clutch out in his fiesta because he drove with his foot touching the clutch! Even when the clutch burnt out he had no idea why his revs were rising but he was getting nowhere. The fact the original posters tyres are supposedly worn would show he's been 'ragging' it hence my comment about photos so like I said, some people think they're the worlds best drivers when in fact they aren't!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Some people don't realise their driving is appalling. My own son burnt a clutch out in his fiesta because he drove with his foot touching the clutch! Even when the clutch burnt out he had no idea why his revs were rising but he was getting nowhere. The fact the original posters tyres are supposedly worn would show he's been 'ragging' it hence my comment about photos so like I said, some people think they're the worlds best drivers when in fact they aren't!

Good Lord!  Mind you, my mother does that from time to time and it irritates the crap out of me.  Never often enough, or severe enough to burn out the clutch though.  I don't understand how people can drive with their foot resting on the clutch all the time, and actually press it enough to increase the revs without realising.  I tried doing it deliberately myself to see how it feels, and by the time the clutch slipped I was pressing the clutch so hard that it was obvious to my foot that I was doing so!  How people can do it "accidentally" is beyond me.

That's true about the tyres...  If they are truly worn-out after just 7k then he must have been doing burn-outs or drifting around every corner! 

Tyres being worn could have nothing to do with the clutch. If tracking is out tyres can wear badly and sane with pressures.

Only the OP knows how they have been driving the car, if they have killed the clutch by being daft then it will be an expensive lesson.

10 minutes ago, simcor said:

Tyres being worn could have nothing to do with the clutch. If tracking is out tyres can wear badly and sane with pressures.

Only the OP knows how they have been driving the car, if they have killed the clutch by being daft then it will be an expensive lesson.

But even then it shows that the driver hasn't checked the tyres and/or noticed that the tracking/pressures were out.  Still negligence either way.

That said, I'm not trying to slander the OP and as you say, only he knows what the true story is, and it isn't really anybody elses business!

On 26/09/2016 at 9:19 PM, simcor said:

Your right worn tyres have nothing to do with the clutch, worn tyres 'could' show the car has been wheelspun/ragged/thrashed away from a standstill. I second what Jmurray01 says