Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 Focus Zetec towbar.. Easy to remove??

Zebedru

Picking up 2011 focus zetec sport tomorrow and it has a towbar fitted. does anyone know if this is easy enough to remove? (new to cars) can the dealership even do it for me?

Thanks 

Screenshot_20161024-180621.png

Should be an easy job to remove it, even easier if you have access to a ramp, I would think the dealer would do it for you if you ask nicely.

Nice car by the way, good base to start with if you're thinking of doing some mods. Mine was similar when I bought it, check out my build thread if you want some ideas20161017_172401.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SuperOwls said:

Should be an easy job to remove it, even easier if you have access to a ramp, I would think the dealer would do it for you if you ask nicely.

Nice car by the way, good base to start with if you're thinking of doing some mods. Mine was similar when I bought it, check out my build thread if you want some ideas

Thanks mate. That looks sweet! Yeah I definitely am wanting to start on it soon as! Still figuring out how to maneuver this forum too! Lol will check it out! 

Bumper off, remove tow bar and then remove trim to disconnect wiring depending on what type is fitted. But you will need a new crash bar to replace behind the bumper as this is removed when fitting the tow bar.

Reasonably easy to DIY if your reasonably competent DIY mechanic and can get hold of a crash bar for the car.

Otherwise ask the garage to remove it for you and hope they will cover the cost of the crash bar, although they will likely charge you for removing it and dealer cost for a new crash bar and they will then likely sell the tow bar kit too.

May also need a diagnostics session to alter trailer settings if it had the proper dedicated Ford loom and the car has ESP etc if it uses the can bus for the lighting rather than a 7 way bypass relay.

This is of course assuming the bolts that hold the bumper brackets on either side will undo, rather than spinning the captive bolt in the plastic.

Where you based ? I'd take it off for free, well I'd use the tow bar on wife's focus :p

The other option is to remove the tow bar fitting and bar, replace the crash bar and trap the socket bracket between the crash bar mounting and crash bar like someone did on mine, leaving the wiring in tact but the tow bar removed. That is the easier DIY option as removes the need for removing wiring and trim and possibly making things worse.

Your choice of course which avenue you go down.

52 minutes ago, Rs2k said:

Where you based ? I'd take it off for free, well I'd use the tow bar on wife's focus :p

I assume his location says Down as in Ireland, long way to go for a free tow bar lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, simcor said:

I assume his location says Down as in Ireland, long way to go for a free tow bar lol

Ah, didn't notice that lol :( damn

• Like 1

On 31/10/2016 at 3:19 PM, simcor said:

The other option is to remove the tow bar fitting and bar, replace the crash bar and trap the socket bracket between the crash bar mounting and crash bar like someone did on mine, leaving the wiring in tact but the tow bar removed. That is the easier DIY option as removes the need for removing wiring and trim and possibly making things worse.

Your choice of course which avenue you go down.

Thank you for your help. im not handy at all when it comes to cars so best for me to take it to the garage! you're help is greatly appreciated 

No problem buddy, ask the garage, if your lucky they will remove it free of charge and get a new crash bar for you. I have the crash bar off of mine after refitting a tow bar, sadly the postage cost would be too high to send it to you. It would be cheaper to get a used one from a breakers yard.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club