Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flip Key for a 2006 Zetec?

robjsteve

Hi all,

Last week I bought a 2006 '56' Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate. Always loved my fords and this one is giving me no reasons to change my mind :wub: (touch wood!).

It came with one remote locking key and one non remote key. As I'm not the only driver of the car I'd like to get another remote key. I really would like a flip key as I think they look much better and don't dig into your leg when you keep your key in your jeans pocket!! So I popped into my local dealer to enquire about getting a flip key. This caused the guy behind the parts desk to look at his computer screen in a confused :huh: fashion for several minutes before disappearing to ask someone else for several more minutes before coming back and telling me he didn't know if I could get one or not!! He explained that they are standard on the ST, titanium and ghia models but were not available on anything else. He couldn't tell me if it definitely would work or definitely wouldn't or if I could program it myself if I did get them to supply it :rolleyes: . All he could tell me was that if I bought another key like the one I already have (for £90) I would be able to program it myself. So I said I would think about it and left.

So does anyone know if I can buy a flip key for my zetec? and if I did would I be able to program it myself or is that going to mean a £90 diagnostic on top? I've googled the subject but haven't been able to find a consistent answer. Some seem to say it can't be done but others have apparently done it! I'm happy to spend the money if its going to work but don't want to be stuck with a key that won't do anything,

Thanks for reading and for any info you have

Rob

Hi all,

Last week I bought a 2006 '56' Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate. Always loved my fords and this one is giving me no reasons to change my mind :wub: (touch wood!).

It came with one remote locking key and one non remote key. As I'm not the only driver of the car I'd like to get another remote key. I really would like a flip key as I think they look much better and don't dig into your leg when you keep your key in your jeans pocket!! So I popped into my local dealer to enquire about getting a flip key. This caused the guy behind the parts desk to look at his computer screen in a confused :huh: fashion for several minutes before disappearing to ask someone else for several more minutes before coming back and telling me he didn't know if I could get one or not!! He explained that they are standard on the ST, titanium and ghia models but were not available on anything else. He couldn't tell me if it definitely would work or definitely wouldn't or if I could program it myself if I did get them to supply it :rolleyes: . All he could tell me was that if I bought another key like the one I already have (for £90) I would be able to program it myself. So I said I would think about it and left.

So does anyone know if I can buy a flip key for my zetec? and if I did would I be able to program it myself or is that going to mean a £90 diagnostic on top? I've googled the subject but haven't been able to find a consistent answer. Some seem to say it can't be done but others have apparently done it! I'm happy to spend the money if its going to work but don't want to be stuck with a key that won't do anything,

Thanks for reading and for any info you have

Rob

Hi Rob,

I bought a Zetec climate and it only came with the standard key. I asked Ford about another key and it would cost approx £200 for a new key (standard key not flip) and programming. The programming you do yourself only allows you to open the doors and nothing else. I found an auto locksmith who supplied the flip key plus full programming (opening doors, starting the car) for £90. Had I gone for the standard key it would have cost £75. So in summary you can get a flip key for your car, you can't program it yourself and don't get it from Ford! find an auto locksmith and save yourself a load of cash!

Hi Rob,

I bought a Zetec climate and it only came with the standard key. I asked Ford about another key and it would cost approx £200 for a new key (standard key not flip) and programming. The programming you do yourself only allows you to open the doors and nothing else. I found an auto locksmith who supplied the flip key plus full programming (opening doors, starting the car) for £90. Had I gone for the standard key it would have cost £75. So in summary you can get a flip key for your car, you can't program it yourself and don't get it from Ford! find an auto locksmith and save yourself a load of cash!

Ah - stealer told me I could do it myself but that it might not work and if it didn't they would do it for £90 (wonder how often that one works!). I'll ring round a couple of local auto locksmiths on Monday and hopefully get something sorted. Thanks for that, exactly what I needed.

Rob

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club