Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 1.6 TDCi stalling issue

davek2568

Hi guys,

Some help needed please!

I have a Focus Estate MK2 1.6 TDCi, and recently it's developed a fault where after taking engine revs over around 2000rpm, and then depressing the clutch to change gear, the engine will stall. It can go a little over 2000, but not much. When it stalls, the engine restarts, but it has to turn over a few times before it will fire again. 

For every day driving, this is ok but frustrating. Have to take it very easy! But you certainly couldn't accelerate hard, or pull out of a junction in a hurry.

I'd be really interested in your thoughts on what this could be? I'm going to book this into the garage of course, but would be keen to narrow down the options.

Cheers,

Dave

Are you sure that it has anything to do with the clutch? I only ask because I had a similar issue where the car would stall at high revs (it was at about 3000 though). This was due to low fuel pressure due to a clogged fuel filter.

Either way I would recommend plugging in diagnostics equipment if you have access to any and reading any available codes. This should be the first step aside from booking it into a garage to have a professional look at it.

i totally agree with first reply and was thinking low fuel pressure before i saw the first response. 

fault code readers cheap on eBay. I have one that connects to laptop computer to show the readings etc.

I had problem with my fiesta 1.6tdci . fault code said low fuel pressure. new fuel filter fixed it (filter was 80k miles beyond the reccomended replacement mileage)

Plus one for dirty fuel filter.

These engines are super sensitive to inadequate fuel flow through the filter and use a decent make not Micky Mouse brand.

You will need a priming bulb to get the diesel through to the injection pump after the filter change. They can be a pain to get running after!

If the filter hasn't been changed in the last year it's worth a try.

and why don't they have a priming bulb fitted in there as standard, some cars do...

I did mine by connecting some clear pipe to the return pipe and sucking it. i still got a mouthful of diesel even though i was using clear pipe so i should have seen the diesel getting close to the end in my mouth. I had real problems getting the car started again after changing the filter due to the air in there but the new filter did fix it

Agree! Would have cost a couple of quid to fit a priming bulb on manufacture and made life so much easier!

I bought an ink jet syringe, filled it with diesel and squirted it down the feed pipe to the injection pump before reconnecting the feed pipe to the filter after priming it. Gets it going in a couple of cranks.

• 4 years later...

Hi Dave I’m fully aware this is an old post, but did you ever get the problem sorted, as I have a 58plate focus estate 1600 tdci with the same problem, I’ve changed the crankshaft sensor but it’s still the same thanks 

Hi Gary you need to start your own new thread. 

Dave like so many newbies joined posted and left. He has not been back to the forum since 14th November 2016

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club