Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Mondeo Headlights

tompka

Hi All,

I've got a 2015 Mondeo Zetec with the DRLs in the headlights not in the bumper.

I've noticed recently that the headlights on dipped beam are shocking. Can probably see about an arms length in front of the car.

I've checked the manual height adjustment to make sure its set to 0 when I have an empty car and its still the same. Moved it through positions 1 to 4 and its still the same.

I was thinking about changing the standard halogen bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers but as the front bumper has to be dropped to do this I'm wanting to double check that its not an issue with the lights.

I know there has been a recall on the versions with the Active LED headlights but I'm not covered under this as I just have standard headlights.

Has anyone had any similar experiences to mine?

Thanks

Jordan

Hi Jordan. In my experience it's not an issue with the head light units themselves other than the whole setup is *****. I have a zetec with the DRLs in the headlight unit, an H15 bulb. I have changed my bulbs for Phillips bulbs, the ones that offer 130% improvement. They don't! I think it's the setup. I was just thinking tonight that I might see if I can upgrade the whole unit to bi xenon or get an auto elec to fit an HID upgrade. I'd do that myself as I have done with every other car I've owned but I can't remove the bumper myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jonro,

Thanks for your reply. Pleased I'm not the only one who's having an issue with the headlights.

My friend has the same shape Mondeo but the Titanium with the Active LED headlights and they're really good...especially in comparison to mine.

I've got an HID Kit knocking about which I was tempted to stick in but I cant help thinking it's just going to light my bumper up a little bit more than it already does.

On a normally lit road you can get away with them but as soon as you go onto an unlit country road they are shocking, literally an accident waiting to happen. Even with full beam on they make no difference. 

I think I'm going to give Ford a call and see if they have any recommendations.

For being such a good car the headlights are such a let down. 

Hey Jordan,

I'm getting my Mondeo Titanium (with standard headlights and DRL in the bumper) in feb, I'd heard talk of these poor quality headlights and to be honest its a bit concerning!.  How can Ford think this is acceptable??  Moreover, why have most of the reviewers not mentioned it!

Do you need to drop the bumper to change these headlight bulbs?

Also, with the nightbreakers, I take it they will work with the headlight assembly?

Cheers,

Lat

Hey Lat

The headlights are like candles to be honest, I wish I had upgraded but my car was a showroom model with a load of other toys for a ridiculous price, too good to pass up. Ford just do what they have to to sell cars, same as any manufacturer. My last car was a brand new Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo with 'black pack' lights and they were exactly the same, I ended up putting HID upgrade kit in it.

The night breakers will work no bother at all. Same as the OEM bulbs, just remove and replace. Yes, unfortunately it is a bumper off job and Ford normally want at least 2 hrs labour to do this! I don't know how, in this day and age any manufacturer can sell a car that you can't change a bulb at the roadside. If a bulb goes does everyone have £100+ to get it changed?

I'm wondering if it is possible to change the whole unit for Xenon or LED? I am not sure as there may be an issue with self levelling and washers, although they aren't strictly legal to have, they just need to work IF fitted.

Jon

The other thing I forgot to mention was that my headlights were set quite low in the unit itself, I know you have the option to change the height on the dash from 0-4 but there are adjustments that can be made at the unit itself. I took mine back and complained asking them to raise the beam to the highest level accepted by MOT centres. That made a little difference.

Thanks for the info, 

shocking on 2 counts, firstly that the headlights are so poor (here in Scotland there are quite a few unlit country roads) and secondly that you have to drop the bumper, remove the headlight unit and then change the bulb.  What the hell ford!

How did these lights make it past any QA inspections either by Ford or by any of the various safety associations?

Overall, I'm still looking forward to my shiny new Mondeo, and I suppose I should be glad that Ford care so much about my well being that they don't want me driving at night.....

Where about are you in Scotland? You could always put a bar on the roof with a few spotlights on it....

When do you get your new mondeo? Make sure you have the most up to date map with it, I think it is F5 now

Getting it in Feb apparently, been quoted the 11th as a delivery date, but we all know how reliable dealers are with dates.....

I live just outside Cumbernauld in the Central belt (about halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, for those who don't know)....... Was actually thinking of putting torches on the bonnet........:smile:

Despite the lights and the silly little alloys (16" on the Econetic Titanium) I'm actually starting to really look forward to it.......I do love my current car, but onwards and upwards...

Sorry for not replying for a while...

I've got mine booked into Arnold Clark this coming Friday for its 37,500 mile service and the headlights to be looked at.

I'd swapped cars with my friend on Monday night, the LED lights are far more superior than the standard (which is to be expected). He called me saying he was basically guessing where the edge of the road etc. was due to the poor light output. 

When we swapped cars back last night, we looked at how far up the street my lights went, shocked to say it was about the width of a standard 1 car drive way. The reflector part of the headlight doesn't seem to actually be reflecting. The light is bouncing off the projector lense, leaving a tiny beam on the road which is no use.

It will be going in on Friday and I won't accept it back until the lights have been sorted as personally I think they are a hazard and make the car dangerous to drive. 

Fingers crossed they find the issue and sort it. 

• Like 1

Hi Tomka
Please let us know how you get on, I have the same opinion as you. The lights are borderline dangerous at best and to be honest they have a cheek calling the lights at all [emoji3] there is something very wrong with them and if they sort yours I'll be in the garage behind you, not had a lot of luck with AC myself though. My car is in on Monday next week for its service, which incidentally free due to the prolonged problem with stop/start system.

Latman, I live up in the highlands so a bit of light up here would be nice! Both Tompka and I have the lights that have the DRLs in the unit, yours may be better if the DRLs are in the bumper, it's obviously been changed. So don't write it off just yet haha

Yeah I noted that they moved the DRLs into the bumper (unless you have the Active LED ones......actually, bit of a con charging extra for them, considering those LED lights are a big part of Fords marketing for the car..) so hopefully they will provide the missing light!

Plenty of streetlights around here, but the M73 is largely unlit at night so as I do get called out in the evenings would make driving a bit more challenging!

Let us know how you get on at the dealer, good luck if its AC though!

Tompka, was your car in today? How did you get on?

Sorry to bother you again Tompka but if you see this can you let me know what the garage said about your lights please. My car is in tomorrow and i plan to speak to them and any info you have could help me. Also getting the indicator 'tick' sorted and my free wash of course!

Let us know how you get tomorrow Jonro!

I've a funny feeling I might need to be shouty at a dealer when I get mine!

I was in today, they said the lights are up to MOT standard so there is nothing wrong with them. They agree they are poor but that would be Fords position. They also went on to agree that the LED lights on the £30k+ edge are not too great on dipped beam.
They did a BCM refresh for me to see if that cures the 'silent' indicator

12 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

They agree they are poor but that would be Fords position. They also went on to agree that the LED lights on the £30k+ edge are not too great on dipped beam

Hey buddy,

Thanks for the update, have you had any more silent indications?

Re the lights, that's pretty poor all in all.  I get the fact they want to make money on upgrade able options, but having decent headlights is a must, having these poor quality ones is a no no.  Are they any better on Full Beam?

This actually reminds me, prior to the GTC I have now, I had a '58 plate Focus Titanium Hatch, and I do recall having to complain to the dealer several times about the poor light from the headlights as well.  They told me there was nothing wrong with them and that they were up to MOT standard, but I always thought they were poor on unlit roads, especially if something else drove past me and the two headlight beams were side by side.

Do you think having the bulbs swapped out for those ones earlier on ion the thread would improve them, or is it more to do with the narrow shape?

Lat

Lat, I kind of give up complaining about the lights, if the dealership manager agrees the lights are poor but can't do anything because his hands are tied by Fords specs then what's the point. The lights are as you describe, poor on unlit roads especially with oncoming vehicles whose lights always seem to over power my own. Full beam is adequate at best. Speaking with other people it would seem no one with Halogens thinks their lights are any good regardless of manufacturer.

The bulbs I switched to don't seem to do a blind bit of difference to the throw of the light, they still fall short. They do give off a whiter light though which I wanted. I found the best thing I have done to improve external visibility is to reduce internal visibility I.e turn the dash lighting to minimum.

No further silent indicators but to be honest it only ever happened about once a month.

I enquiries about changing the whole headlight unit, my dealer who is a good guy said they would fit but he wasn't sure about the wiring. He also went on to say. That they are over £1k per unit.

So all in all, do you regret getting the Mondeo?

You'd mentioned earlier that perhaps having the DRL in the bumper might improve the general light given off, with some cars the LED DRL's go off when headlights are activated, hopefully this isnt the case. 

I don't regret it at all, it's a great car for what I need. It's boot is huge, the rear is nice and spacious and it has all the toys I wanted and more. The auto parking is great for tight spaces, I have no issues trusting it. I also love the looks too.

The DRLs have to go off or at least dim down when the side lights are activated so don't rely on them to help your visibility. I was thinking that with the DRLs out of the light cluster the othe bulbs and lenses may be better placed and directed. I find the beam very narrow in all aspects. Dimming the instrument panel at night does help because otherwise it brighter in the car than it is outside!

Don't worry, I'm sure you will like the car

I'm actually really looking forward to getting the car, warts and all!

the test drive I had was great, I don't understand some of the criticism of the steering.  I found it really well weighted and responsive.

Im getting the Econetic with its silly little alloys, however I also believe it's got the sports suspension, any experience of this?

Lat

The 16's give a very nice ride, if you've got sports suspension then the best of both worlds IMHO

Hi, new on here so please bare with me. This headlamp issue is really a safety thing, I have a 15 plate mondeo titanium estate fitted with standard bulbs in low and high beam, and I have to say they are quite simply the very worst set of lights I have ever had fitted to a car. It's such a shame as everything else about the car is great, but the headlights are atrocious.

I was hoping that someone would be able to advise me as to what bulbs are fitted, as I am definitely going to try and change all four bulbs. The handbook says that they are all H7 for both the low beam and high beam, would anyone be able to confirm this before I purchase some bulbs and before I go through the rigmarole of taking the bumper off etc etc. And are night breakers very reliable?

Thanks for any input on the above.

Hi

I have just come over from a Vauxhall insignia with halogen lights .... I can say compared to the Vauxhall the Mondeo Ecoboost 2015 I have's halogen lights are like night and day .

They aren't great but they aren't that bad ... I'm reasonably happy with mine although there is room for improvement.

The Vauxhalls lights should be illegal they are that poor .

I had to put a HID Kit in mine to see the road.

Over the years I have toyed with hid kits and led units as well.

Anyway there are LED Bulbs these days that look promising. Does anyone have images of the Mondeo standard halogen headlight removed to see what room there is inside the light unit ? If it would be possible to used LED Bulbs with the associated driver / ballast kit.

I put led H7's in my Vauxhall and the difference was incredible .... I however like everything hidden inside the light unit. It was possible with the halogen Vauxhall units but it was very very tight.

I wonder if this would be possible with the Mondeo headlights ???? And the added bonus is that there is no grey area with the LED Bulbs unlike the hid kits

They are 100% legal and its a possible route for better lighting.

If any one had a pic or two of a removed light unit and the bulb access areas it would be really handy .

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club