Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what options do i have for more performance? mk3 focus 1.6 econetic

Imelliot

looking to get a bit more power from my focus 1.6 diesel, was originally going to get a tuning box but decided i want to go a little further.

The car already has a cat back exhaust system with no middle box or back box,

Thinking of getting the cat removed as well as the EGR and DPF and adding a front mount intercooler and possibly a bigger fuel pump and injectors then mapped. Is this possible without blowing the engine up and what kind of power and torque would i be looking towards currently 115 bhp 260nm of torque i believe. Also what options do i have in terms of upgrading the fuel pump and injectors? i have no idea where to start looking. 

any help appreciated and merry Christmas all  

15134708_1248100981900321_6183035503739329651_n.jpg

• Like 2

Oh. I got more power from my 1.6 tdci tit x by getting the tit x sport mondeo ecoboost. Vast improvement.

• Like 1

i was thinking about a new car but at 19 a focus st Diesel is still over £400 a month to insure and the petrol is nearly 600 a month! im currently 200 with the 1.6 diesel so that why i was just going to spend some money on this rather than get something else thats going to cost a silly amount to run and cheers pal back end is the best part of the car only problem is the exhaust comes across as fake as the exhaust gasses only come through the left one causing it to get black really quick while the right one remains immaculate haha  

Didn't know you're only 19 (gawd that was a few decades ago lol)
OK then. You've got a great looking car. How come the exhaust isn't a true duplex type?
As for tuning start with the K&N 57s air filter. I had one on mine and it feel like a couple of extra horses were found.
On this forum site quite a few with the 1.6 diesel have done various tuning mods. More have gone the tuning box route but a dedicated remap is better. That with a better intercooler should see around an extra 30 to 40 horse and that should be very very noticeable.
Lower suspension and upgraded brakes have been added and the results favourable.
Scan thru the forum and you'll learn a lot.
The mk3 focus is a fantastic car and great looker. Keep us updated on your mods. Best of luck pal.

thanks bud and i currently have a Halfords mushroom filter since it was free from a mate, probably makes the car run worse but it was free and sounds good haha. As for the exhaust if the car does a dpf regen a small amount will come through the right one i think the engine just doesn't have it in it, maybe once the cat is removed it will be a bit better. heard of a guy from Ireland on the focus forum on Car throttle who had his 1.6 diesel focus remapped with a k&n and a intercooler seen him to 165bhp which is pretty impressive. After previous cars I'm never lowering a car again unless it on air haha, being the zetec s it already has sport suspension and is the best handling car i've ever drove no matter how hard you go it just eats the corners up so don't really want to f**k with it and ruin it haha. appreciate the help man and might start a progress thread next year when i get into modifying it again.

Word of advice m8. Don't remove the CAT or DPF coz your car will fail it's MOT. Unless you replace them with straight thru pipes which are removable so original can be put back before the MOT. Hope this makes sense

Is the CAT on a diesel not a visual test? where as long as the CAT is in place it would pass even though there would be nothing inside the CAT? That was the way i done it on my old 206 diesel and never had problem

20 minutes ago, Imelliot said:

Is the CAT on a diesel not a visual test? where as long as the CAT is in place it would pass even though there would be nothing inside the CAT? That was the way i done it on my old 206 diesel and never had problem

It's changing for 2017.  No longer just a visual test, if you've got a 'friendly' tester who'll pass anything it'll probably still pass but if not no chance. 

I've got the older 110bhp 1.6, simple stage 1 remapped to 140bhp for over a year now, no stupid air filter or anything extra lol. :wink: 

• Like 1

It's coz of new rules coming out that a replaceable CAT/DPF is the only way. By replacing it with a straight thru pipe then put back to "standard" for the MOT.

11 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

It's coz of new rules coming out that a replaceable CAT/DPF is the only way. By replacing it with a straight thru pipe then put back to "standard" for the MOT.

Not sure I'd choose that either personally, don't forget you can get pulled by DVSA for random stop checks, it happens fairly regularly round here though apparently not much in some areas.  I don't think they'd go to the hassle of getting diagnostics out to check but it'll be pretty obvious if there's just a straight pipe there staring at them when they lift the bonnet.

Tbh the DPF isn't even that restrictive if it's still original, if anything it helps with low down torque which you want a diesel, although you loose a bit of top end but who's redlining a diesel anyway.  I've always been disappointed with decats on both petrols and diesels tbh, only thing they're good for is noise...and coal if that's your thing.  A sports cat is a far better option on a petrol, still get the noise but keep the low torque and fully legal and MOT passable.  I wonder if anyone will start making a sports DPF... :laugh: 

• 2 months later...

Haaaa! This is my issue at the same time!

I have the 1.6TDCi MK3, Done a Stage 1 Remap, K&N Airfilter, 128Bhp 230Nm Torque. - I hear that the 2.2 Mondeo ST Turbo, Injectors and ECU might fit.
I'm always doing stuff to mines follow me on Insta: @PaulMcCafferty97FullSizeRender.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club