Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk3.5 questions

B0D0

53 minutes ago, B0D0 said:

Well in the book that I have(it has about 6 months) it says that over here (Spain )used to emit only 98. But it had Start/Stop and only the 95 HP version had 105g/km. Now both get 105 g/KM

Now I have a question: Over in the UK does it come with Start/stop as standard? Mine didn't came with Start/Stop. It used to but not anymore. Now it's a 250€ optional extra. But only on the 1.5 Tdci and of course the old 1.6 petrol Ti-Vct.  The rest of the engines do have Start/Stop.. Not that I care about the system, I would have turn it off anyway and I prefer not to have it and I will never pay for it in a million years.

How strange (seems to depend on auto start stop being factored or not) - The German (http://www.ford.de/Hidden/BroschuerenPreiseDaten) current online Focus brochure dated December 2016 looks very similar to the Ford.es (http://www.ford.es/Hidden/Catalogo_Turismos/DescargaCatalogo) version (August 2016 ?) at face value. But in the German version it states 98g/Km for the 1.5 120 TDCi manual.  

I'm pretty sure Start/Stop is standard on the UK 1.5 TDCI and maybe other variants as well.

17 minutes ago, avi said:

How strange - The German (http://www.ford.de/Hidden/BroschuerenPreiseDaten) current online Focus brochure dated December 2016 looks very similar to the Ford.es (http://www.ford.es/Hidden/Catalogo_Turismos/DescargaCatalogo) version (August 2016 ?) at face value. But in the German version it states 98g/Km for the 1.5 120 TDCi manual.  

I'm pretty sure Start/Stop is standard on the UK 1.5 TDCI and maybe other variants as well.

I have the "paper" version from about mid 2016 and it is different. On the new catalog there are some new things like sync 3 and it says that Titanium comes with Keyless. But when I was at the dealership talking about prices(december), he printed out for me all the equipment available on the car and that feature was not there. 

If you look at the 1.5 tdci engines  it says sin auto start stop in the es version, but uk and de versions have the feature. But on the romanian one the 95 hp gets no start stop while the 120 hp has one with and one without, and the powershift with.

Very weird. 

Just an update from Ford re the AGS (active grille shutter).  

Very cagey language from Ford via the dealer but it appears the AGS has been removed as a cost saving exercise on some models such as Diesel and 1.5 petrol engines. Apparently this is to allow Ford to better compete with model from other manufacturers and the AGS isn't cheap to fit. 

As a consequence there will be a small increase in Co2 emission but Ford would not answer the likely MPG impact relating to its claimed cost saving due to better aerodynamics.  Because this is a material change that may affect real world MPG compared the same model I had with the AGS I can cancel the order and my deposit will be refunded in full.

Very sneaky since Ford is still marketing the feature to improve MPG and cost saving yet they quietly dropped it from some model over 6 months ago !

1 hour ago, avi said:

Just an update from Ford re the AGS (active grille shutter).  

Very cagey language from Ford via the dealer but it appears the AGS has been removed as a cost saving exercise on some models such as Diesel and 1.5 petrol engines. Apparently this is to allow Ford to better compete with model from other manufacturers and the AGS isn't cheap to fit. 

As a consequence there will be a small increase Co2 emission but Ford would not answer the likely MPG impact relating to its claimed cost saving due to better aerodynamics.  Because this is a material change that may affect real world MPG compared the same model I had with the AGS I can cancel the order and my deposit will be refunded in full.

Very sneaky since Ford is still marketing the feature to improve MPG and cost saving.

What a load of bo*locks, cost savings my a*se. The 1.5 tdci it's to green for them and the 2.0 tdci needs a bit of "tweeking" so it's in between the "standards"?

Why don't they put it on the optional list for example? So people can choose if they wanted or not. 

Maybe on the lower models yes, why not, but not on the higher trims Titanium/Titanium X. 

Now how much can they save by using only one light in the boot?

I don't know how much they drop the price over in the UK, but as I said they drop a lot from the asking price over here in Spain. 5-6 k (euros) easy. And they have to if you ask me. I would never pay 26k for my car, it's not worth it. 

I hope with the new one they will improve on a lot of aspects, but they will increase the price as well.

Look at the new Ibiza  for example. Fiesta will have a tough task ahead. They made it smaller in length but wider, and inside it's big with a huge boot. 

But to come back I can't wait for the laws to change. Emissions and REAL mpg figures. It's a disgrace now. 

In the end are you going to cancel your order?

10 minutes ago, B0D0 said:

What a load of bo*locks, cost savings my a*se. The 1.5 tdci it's to green for them and the 2.0 tdci needs a bit of "tweeking" so it's in between the "standards"?

Why don't they put it on the optional list for example? So people can choose if they wanted or not. 

Maybe on the lower models yes, why not, but not on the higher trims Titanium/Titanium X. 

I don't know how much they drop the price over in the UK, but as I said they drop a lot from the asking price over here in Spain. 5-6 k (euros) easy. And they have to if you ask me. I would never pay 26k for my car, it's not worth it. 

I hope with the new one they will improve on a lot of aspects, but they will increase the price as well.

Look at the new Ibiza  for example. Fiesta will have a tough task ahead. They made it smaller in length but wider, and inside it's big with a huge boot. 

But to come back I can't wait for the laws to change. Emissions and REAL mpg figures. It's a disgrace now. 

Yeah Its gotta a bigger boot than the current Ford Focus never mind The Fiesta ha. 355 litres vs 316 litres and probably is just as big inside.  Ford need to improve the next Focus big time or else it will be left behind.  

34 minutes ago, B0D0 said:

I did ask if cost was an issue why Ford then included more options in the standards price i.e. would I prefer more miles per gallon or passive door locking ??? There's no point going any further with it thou.

I don't know how MPG is calculated under the Euro testing spec but I was told manufacturers go to extreme lengths i.e. taping over panel gaps, blocking grilles and removing weight etc. Apparently it's allowed because it's not real world and only a "relative" test. So removing the AGS probably wouldn't make a difference to this test result only on the real world MPG.  

Given I'm coming from the same car with AGS my concerns is what impact this will have on real world MPG ? Whilst Ford would not say it seems it's material enough to allow me to cancel a custom order without penalty.

The whole industry is a mess with regard to MPG and emissions. What's your MPG like ?

The car is discounted by almost 30% (saving over 8.5k at todays rate)from Fords UK on the road price and like you l wouldn't pay list price.

Not decided what to do yet but will start to look at options and I do like the look of the new Seat. Maybe time to ditch Ford.  

As a SEAT (Exeo) owner previous to the Focus, I tried hard to get a Leon with a decent spec, but they were expensive, and very plasticky inside, very quickly knocked off the list.  Recent Focus is a good value car in comparison.

On 10/02/2017 at 2:33 PM, avi said:

I did ask if cost was an issue why Ford then included more options in the standards price i.e. would I prefer more miles per gallon or passive door locking ??? There's no point going any further with it thou.

I don't know how MPG is calculated under the Euro testing spec but I was told manufacturers go to extreme lengths i.e. taping over panel gaps, blocking grilles and removing weight etc. Apparently it's allowed because it's not real world and only a "relative" test. So removing the AGS probably wouldn't make a difference to this test result only on the real world MPG.  

Given I'm coming from the same car with AGS my concerns is what impact this will have on real world MPG ? Whilst Ford would not say it seems it's material enough to allow me to cancel a custom order without penalty.

The whole industry is a mess with regard to MPG and emissions. What's your MPG like ?

The car is discounted by almost 30% (saving over 8.5k at todays rate)from Fords UK on the road price and like you l wouldn't pay list price.

Not decided what to do yet but will start to look at options and I do like the look of the new Seat. Maybe time to ditch Ford.  

My real mpg is 47 mpg (6l/ 100km) with a full tank. On the trip computer is 50/5.6l/100km. Normal driving/sporty ish, with about 80% motorway and most of the time 130km/h (80mph) with cruise control on and Heat/AC on. Still early days today i hit 3000km so I hope the mpg will increase/drop(l/100km). I always use Shell normal or vpower..

Don't get me wrong, we do like the car a lot. It's not pwrfect but I can live with it. I don't think we would have got a car with so much equipment for the price we paid for the Flocus.

I would never go for most of the vw products. I do like skoda octavia and superb or audi a3 sedan but that's about it , but wright now I am not in the market for such a big car.

From the compact hatch I like the new Astra too but I don't know how reliable they are.

HOPE you decide. Keep us posted.

On 10/02/2017 at 2:26 PM, James said:

Yeah Its gotta a bigger boot than the current Ford Focus never mind The Fiesta ha. 355 litres vs 316 litres and probably is just as big inside.  Ford need to improve the next Focus big time or else it will be left behind.  

Indeed. I totally agree. The Focus it's not a lot bigger than a Fiesta leg room wise.

What Ford does is making a bigger car to get extra space, while Vw with the mqb platform makes it smaller on the outside but it's bigger inside.

I am.curios to see the new Focus. I hope I get to see the new Fiesta at the Geneva motorshow this year.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club