Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pads and discs

ScottlGH

So A few month ago I got some new blueprint pads for my mk7.5 1L and recently they have started whistling/squealing.

One mechanic has told me one of the pads have been wearing down wrong causing the noise.

Ive also been told by another mechanic that the disc is warped and causing the noise; which would wear the pads down wrong.🤔

So I'm wondering if I should change the discs or the pads, or both and if so what brand do I choose? Brembo, EBC, Eicher etc.

Would like to know some opinions and experiences [emoji106]

Sometimes it can be a build up of brake dust, first of all I'd try cleaning the pads up, chamfer the edge of the pads and regrease them and see how that goes before you replace them

Also what condition are the discs in? If they have a lip on the edge that could also be the cause

Appologies forgot to mention that I have had the wheel off with brake cleaner in hand.

Additionally from what I could tell the disc look alright. The pads are already chamfered and have copper slip on the correct areas. The disc has no lip on it.

From memory is Blueprint not a very cheap motor factor type brand? Should really be going genuine or a premium make if you can afford it for braking and tyres.

• Like 1

Eicher may sound German but they are cheap & nasty and wear out faster than a woman can chose a top in a clothes shop :ohmy:

Stick to what you know works the best and for me it's Ferodo discs & pads, always has and always will be!

Recently changed the discs & pads on our Fiesta and Ferodo now has a special anti-corrosion coating on all the metal, it wears off on the braking surface but the rest stays lovely and rust free.

Oh regarding the noise & squeal & wearing down unevenly can be from the brake calliper guides not moving freely.

• Like 1

Definitely check the caliper slide pins to ensure they aren't seized. Ensure that the piston is free to move. Check that there isn't anything caught between the disc and dust shield. Next check the pads for signs of cracking or separation of the friction material from the backing. Then the discs for cracking, grooves or warping/heat damage.

I would definitely recommend getting branded brake pads at the very least. Mintex and Pagid will serve you well and aren't very expensive if bought online.

Can you take a picture of the worn pads? The wear pattern is usually indicative of specific causes.

Thanks for your replies, I'll try take the brake off tomorrow for some pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club