Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tips for changing oil filter?

MJNewton

I did an oil change on my 2013 1L Ecoboost today and couldn't believe how awkwardly positioned the oil filter was. If it wasn't bad enough being on its side at the back of the engine it was also located above the driveshaft clamp/bearing and so no means to allow oil to run out without covering stuff on the way.

I had reasonable success with a plastic bag over the filter - this caught quite a bit of the excess oil - but I was wondering if anyone had any other tips that they can offer up to minimise mess?

Going to watch this post, I just got 1L ecoboost recently so I'd be interested to learn too, my old Focus was a real PITA to change.

Can you see the fiesta filter from the top of the engine Mathew? I like to mark the filter with a felt pen or something so I know at a glance it's been changed. A garage I used to use I found charged you for oil filter but left the old filter on.

I think you can just about see it, although I'm not sure if you'd be able to get your arm down to mark it. It really is buried away!

Easier to mark it from below

when i see a customer has marked there filter , i re-mark the new filter with a smiley face with the date on. lol

• Like 6

One particular garage I used for years getting a oil change with each mot ( I didn't do more than 6000 mls a year ) I think it had been a number of years since they last changed the filter but charged me all the same. When my son got his new workshop I decided to do the job myself as he had all the tools/jacks needed, i had great difficulty getting the old filter  off trying the usual methods. Eventually putting a long chisel through it for leverage.

The seal on the filter had stuck to the block like glue the filter ended up torn to bits getting it off. It's the reason I get a bit suspicious. I wouldn't mind the fitter putting a smiley on it as long as long as I'm sure the filter has been changed. 

Talking of garages and oil filters! some years ago me and a friend visited a dodgy garage to buy a spare part, my friend told me never to use this garage! I asked why and he said when you go in the back room have a look at all the shelves which have oil filters neatly laid out, all labelled up for what engines they are for, each oil filter 'looked new' but was infact was ALL used filters!! This dodgy garage would service a vehicle and take the filter off and put on another 'new one'.... The filter which had just came off would then be flushed with petrol and re-labelled and back on the shelf, ready for the net sucker!!

Also the dodgy garage re-used old engine oil in customers cars! The oil would be allowed to settle and he had a series of industrial filters to 'clean up the oil'

Last time I knew this garage was nolonger in business, I'd like to think he got done :smile:

Now that I've got a spare engine to play with I took the opportunity to make an 'oil catcher' out of a old bottle:

ecoboostoilcatcher1.jpg

ecoboostoilcatcher2.jpg

Does it work? Well, admittedly I haven't tried it yet. I'll report back in ~6 months time!

• Like 2

think you will find the driveshaft and front subframe will be in the way, the main problem everyone finds is the oil drips on to the driveshaft support bearing and housing

You might be right but I think it should sit forward of the subframe although the driveshaft may sit too high to allow runoff (the right way!). Next time I'm underneath I'll give it a try - I'm planning on replacing the brake fluid soon so will give it a go then.

• 3 years later...

Just done this job on a 1.0 Eco B Max. Yes the oil does pour out of the filter all over the drive shaft. I wondered about some form of catcher as illustrated, but he is only clear route to remove the filter was from underneath and that tray would obstruct it!? 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried drilling the old filter casing to drain off oil stuck in the filter. Still managed to drop loads down the engine etc despite the drain hole.

Not impressed 😣

Not sure of next plan....got plenty of time to think about it

• 3 years later...
On 4/8/2017 at 9:02 PM, MJNewton said:

I did an oil change on my 2013 1L Ecoboost today and couldn't believe how awkwardly positioned the oil filter was. If it wasn't bad enough being on its side at the back of the engine it was also located above the driveshaft clamp/bearing and so no means to allow oil to run out without covering stuff on the way.

I had reasonable success with a plastic bag over the filter - this caught quite a bit of the excess oil - but I was wondering if anyone had any other tips that they can offer up to minimise mess?

The OEM Ford filter is quite thin and can be deformed easily best to use a 76mm 14 flute socket.
Really difficult to reach on one jack stand and from above only a skinny arm but remove right wheel, flex inner arch over and the oil filter is more readily accesible.. gee thanks, Ford.

3 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

The OEM Ford filter is quite thin and can be deformed easily best to use a 76mm 14 flute socket.
Really difficult to reach on one jack stand and from above only a skinny arm but remove right wheel, flex inner arch over and the oil filter is more readily accesible.. gee thanks, Ford.

This is a blast from the past! 

Since first posting I fabricated a kind of funnel out of the side of a plastic bottle and wedge it on top of the oil cooler before spinning the filter off. This catches any falling oil and diverts it over the drive shaft bearing into my container. I've got used to it now and it isn't as much of a faff as it was at the beginning. 

• Like 1

I just use an old tee shirt myself, soaks up any excess oil and drips 😄

Get the car raised up off the ground as much as possible, drive it onto some thick short planks if nothing else, short sleeve shirt, oil pan, large pair of adjustable grips. Come on, a bit messy job but it's not that difficult and a bit of oil on your arm isn't going to kill you. I changed my axle bushes same day (£55 genuine Ford part) and I'm 72 years old. I still drive it like I stole it. Love my Fiesta 1.0 140bhp Zetec S, it's actually worth more now than I paid for it 5 years ago. So hang on to it and keep it safe from the thieving scumbags.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club