Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Modify extended warranty with remap?

Laird_Smith

I have been mulling over the idea of getting my Fiesta remapped for a while.   I am aware that modifying the car would effect my current extended warranty on the vehicle.  Given that it has been reliable, so far, it is something i do not want to risk.

The question that i am in need of an answer for is: is there a possibility of adjusting the extended warranty cover taking into consideration a potential stage 1 remap?  I currently have the Zetec Eco-boost (99bhp) model.  Given the Zetec S Eco-boost has 125bhp should there really be much of a problem doing so?

It's a modification

If they found out then they'd void your warranty.  it's as simple as that 

I purchased an extended warranty and then modified my car to high heaven and spoke to a few service lads who said even just the map on its own has voided it. 

The warranty is only void on the parts affected by the modification, for example fitting an aftermarket HID Kit would only void the electrical side of things so if your boot started to suffer water ingress this would still be covered. A remap on the other hand could be linked to many different aspects of the vehicle, and ford would try anything to get out of a warranty claim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Problem is, a remap makes more power.  More power has an affect on engine, transmission, steering, brakes, suspension.  In most cases the effect will be negligible at most, but it'll be sufficient for then to bin any claim.

However, unless the engine blows up they're unlikely to scan the ECU for records of the devices that have been plugged into them (they do store that data) so you're probably on safe ground. Probably, not definitely.

Conversely, to not tell them of you made a claim would be fraudulent, and as these extended warranties are technically Mechanical Breakdown Insurance Policies, underwritten by one of three or four companies, you'd struggle to get insurance of any kind ever again.

The risk is slim.  I'd risk it myself, but id then probably punch myself in the face if the engine suffered a major failure.

One thing to consider.  Any service updates involving the ECU will have them overwriting your map.

Edited by Jethro_Tull
Speelign
  • Like 2

When the map killed my engine, it was taken into ford for a diagnostics but they obviously said if the car was found to be modified then I'd have to pay for all the work hence told them to leave it. 

I then fitted a new engine and took it back to ford for a PCM update to remove the map. Because my car was due an update anyway, the first that that happened when they plugged it in was it was automatically updated, the could not touch anything until it had updated and they said there was no trace of a remap. 

If it's a risk you want to take, go for it 

If you're gonna moan if it goes wrong and they won't fix it then leave it. 

Also, who is the extended warranty with? As companies such as warrantywise have an exceptions list as long as the car itself. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Jethro_Tull the company offering the warranty would use any excuse to get out of a claim, I think at best the hinges on the bonnet would be covered but not a lot else.

I once had a golf, lovely little car but it looked like a sheep in wolfs clothing it was all show and no go. I did a lot to the looks of the car but left the engine completely standard and changed the back box for something better looking but as quiet as OEM. I upgraded the bulbs to Night Breakers and had every intention of upgrading to an HID Kit when I had done enough research into them (first time I was going to try it), anyway coil pack caught fire and torched most of the electrics and bubbled the bonnet. Fire brigade were really quick and caught it before it took hold. VW tried to void my claim because "my bulbs had put unnecessary strain on the wiring looms". If I wasn't so angry I'd have laughed! There was a few choice words uttered and a suggestion that perhaps the wrench monkeys might like to come and explain how that could possibly have any bearing on a coil pack. They declined and paid out instead, but goes to show they will try anything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply/advice folks!  I know that any sort of modification would pretty much eradicate my extended warranty on the vehicle (if i can remember correctly it covers engine and clutch).  However, would there be an option to "modify/adjust" warranty to consider a stage one remap (to similar output of a Zetec S) or would that just be wishful thinking?  I strongly believe it would most likely be the later..

Many thanks again!

Chances are they'd laugh in your face if you even suggested it. Either leave the warranty, or leave the modifications 

Or if you've paid for the warranty, modify accepting the fact that it's now void 

Who is the warranty with?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The warranty is with Arnold Clark.  

It's a case of 'choice' & 'conscience'.

What makes us human.

In my personal opinion a bluefin or dreamcast Ecuador remap is minimal.

you can modify your car with ford approved parts and it will not void your warranty.

So again it comes down to choice. Your own choice and no one else's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Bluefin seems to be the sound choice, looking into the other options i could pursue.  Will do a bit more research into it.  In the meantime It is good to get practical and balanced opinions from people in the know! 

So thanks once again folks!!

" When the map killed my engine "

I think that would put me off.

Interestingly, if its the original Ford warranty certain Mountune maps and mods to not void them.

56 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Interestingly, if its the original Ford warranty certain Mountune maps and mods to not void them.

Mountune don't map the 100ps model but, the hoses and airbox will be ok.

• Like 1

It's Arnold Clark's "Autocare" - extended warranty.  

25 minutes ago, Laird_Smith said:

It's Arnold Clark's "Autocare" - extended warranty.  

May the Lord have mercy upon your soul!

LOL!!!  Seemed like a good idea at the time..... :D

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club