Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with non running engine!

mac801123

Hi All, 

The engine went bang on me some time ago and over the past year I’ve tried to rebuild the engine in amongst doing other things. well the engine is now rebuilt and the car is back in one piece, since I had to remove the engine I planed a major project and removed the wiring loom from the inside of the car to change the heater for an upgraded one with the digital dash. I left the loom for the engine in place and also the loom to the ECU. I rebuilt the interior with a loom from a 4 door car I modified to fit at the rear of the car and put back all the modules I removed. Everything works apart from the fact it seems I’m not getting fuel past the injectors so no start! I have fuel to the injectors and if I spray a small amount of easy start into the intake it tries to start but then dies when I stop spraying. So in my mind if the fuel was getting past the injectors it would start, the timing can't be out or it wouldn’t even try to start. I had to reprogram the injectors as one broke on removal so I then got another one off eBay, I programmed the injectors in the order of 1342 as I'm sure that’s how it’s supposed to be done. I think it's an electrical issue as everything else works fine, it’s probably something stupid like a missed earth or a knackered wire to the injectors... what is the voltage to the injectors? And as I’ve not removed the ECU or its wiring to the engine could something have gone wrong over the past year with no battery fitted?

Any thoughts or assistance in solving this problem is much appreciated. Mike

Well done in getting everything back together after the rebuild and hopefully not too many bits left over. I think the 1.8 tdci engine like the 1.6 PSA tdci doesn't have a fuel lift pump and needs the diesel bleeding manually to the injection pump particularly if the fuel filter has been disconnected or changed. There are several schools of thought in achieving this but the easiest is a hand bulb primer connected after the fuel filter and then priming the feed pipe to the HP pump to eliminate entrapped air. Once the pump is primed it is capable of maintaining the necessary suction on the inlet side of the pump. From what you describe it sounds like a fuel issue and these engines can be very stubborn to get running after disturbance to the fuel feed circuit. It may be worthwhile changing the fuel filter as well whilst you're at it if it hasn't been done in a while. Avoid extended cranking the starters soon overheat and you'll  end up with flat battery as well!

• Like 1

Hi, I know what you eat about the fuel side of things, however I have fuel to the injectors and cracked of each nut nearest each injector one at a time then got a mate to crank the engine and the fuel has squirted at me. So I know there is fuel at the filter, pump, pipes to injectors and the injectors them selves. Which then led me to believe it was a power or wiring issue. When I get a chance and the weather is better I'll recheck every connector and see what voltages I get to the injectors. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club