Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential battery issues

lloydyyy

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, guys. The new battery is due to be delivered tomorrow. I found my dad''s old battery terminal cleaning brush in my shed, so I'm pretty much set for this job on Saturday. 

Had the new battery delivered and gave it a once-over. There's some slight pitting on the positive terminal and some very slight discoloration at the bottom of the negative terminal. Is this anything to worry about?

Positive 1.jpg

Positive 2.jpg

Negative.jpg

All done. Spent a bit of time cleaning the terminals thoroughly with some baking soda/water mix and a wire brush - they came up like new! Then coated them with some white lithium grease. Quite pleased with it - now I know it's been done properly and the terminals are fine.

20171119_144601.jpg

20171119_154620.jpg

20171119_161342.jpg

they do like like new. and to think, you were convincing yourself you needed new ones.

8 hours ago, isetta said:

they do like like new. and to think, you were convincing yourself you needed new ones.

Yeah lol - was worried the terminals had started to corrode but turns out it was just old grease and dirt but it came off quite easily. I read in the Haynes Manual about letting the car sit at idle and wait for it to reach operating temperature so that it can relearn; I let the car sit for 5-10 minutes and it reached about a quarter of the operating temperature before I took it for a drive. Did I leave the car idle for long enough or would it be worth disconnecting the battery, reconnect it and let the car sit for longer?

I wouldn't worry about it.   You certainly did a good job on those terminals.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club