Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering 'Notchy' Advice Please

chris301up

Recently, whilst stationary, the front off side spring broke on my 2002 Fiesta MK6 1.4 TDCI. I have no idea why this occurred, but it did, and for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Anyway, I have now replaced this and now I have noticed that the steering has become 'notchy', for want of a better word.

I don't know if this is related but it certainly wasn't doing it before I changed the spring.

Any ideas please ??

Springs do snap, and usually when they feel like it so nothing out of the ordinary there.

possibly a dry top mount bearing, now that it's been disturbed to fit the spring has possibly done it in. 

• Like 1

I had something similar on my last Focus.

Spring snapped and the steering sounded like a ratchet noise when steering.

I was told by the mechanic the top of the broken spring had stuck into the top mount bearing.

They replaced the bearing at the same time as the spring.

Hi Mavroz

Thank you for the information

I suppose you could be right about the Macpherson strut top bearing? I didn;t relly suspect that as a probable cause. I will have to 'live with it' for the time being then as I'm not prepared to remove it again in the foreseeable future. Maybe it will 'settle down', or not? Will just have to see how it goes!

Hopefully it will settle down but if the bearing seal and/or inner cage have been damaged then it may get worse. Time will tell.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club