Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 powerfold issues

Hettrick44

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted elswhere but I can’t find any info. Unfortunately the mirror was knocked off my 2013 titanium the other day and I ordered a pattern replacement part.

After fitting this the mirror doesn’t stop “rotating” when locking the car. The mirror is fully in but the motor continues to work and the mirror is trying fold in on itself.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

James

Check the wiring of the replacement mirror and compare it with the original mirror.

I have seen before that the connector pinout of a non original Focus MK3 mirror was not correct. This resulted in sympoms that are compareable to the symptoms you have.

Thanks for the reply jw1982!

have checked the pins this morning and they appear to be the same. If the two pins leading to the motor in the mirror were reversed could it have this effect?

had this issue on the original mirror on my old mk6.5 fiesta. It started doing this when it was about 5 years old. When I googled it I found that it was a common fault and people said the only fix was a new mirror. I just disconnected the wires and left it permanently in the out position (passenger side so did not matter so much).  I don't know what actually stops the motor when the mirror gets to end of travel. is it a switch it pushes on to signal end of travel or is it something that cuts the power when it detects the higher load on the motor as it strains at the end of the travel. does anyone know?    anyway sounds to me like you just unluckily got a faulty one.

The autofolding Focus MK3 mirrors do not have end switches. The mirrors are controlled by the door control modules. The door control modules monitor the current drawn by the mirrors. When the mirror reaches its end position the current goes up and the door control module switches the power off. When blocking the mirror manually it stops almost immediately.

I have seen before that one of the mirror adjustment wires was mixed up with one of the folding wires. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club