Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery

The Latman

They've probably charged the battery ...
And/or/maybe done a reset on the software side, when I did a bit of Forscan tinkering on mine it ended up resetting something on the battery side of things as it temporarily fixed my Start Stop and Heated Screen until it realised and went back to normal. [emoji38]

16 hours ago, Proz said:

They've probably charged the battery ...

I think they did, so it will slowly lose its charge until replaced.  Annoyingly still, heated screen and S/S working perfectly from cold today......

• 2 weeks later...

Been back at the dealer today, they replaced the battery under warranty.

Whilst there, the technician/mechanic had a word with me, said that he'd seen a few batteries behave like this.  He also said that the mechanism behind operating the S/S is based on a scientific calculation between the battery level and the level of charge being directed to it.  The minimum the battery can be at is 60%.  He also said the technicians arent all fully clued up as to exactly how this works.

He also suggested after a motorway cruise, when coming onto a slip road, to floor the accelerator briefly as this will make the S/S work as it directs enough current.  

For what its worth, the S/S is behaving as is the heated screen.

Whilst there, the technician/mechanic had a word with me, said that he'd seen a few batteries behave like this.  He also said that the mechanism behind operating the S/S is based on a scientific calculation between the battery level and the level of charge being directed to it.  The minimum the battery can be at is 60%.  He also said the technicians arent all fully clued up as to exactly how this works.
He also suggested after a motorway cruise, when coming onto a slip road, to floor the accelerator briefly as this will make the S/S work as it directs enough current.  
So this pretty much confirms the charging during overrun behaviour mentioned earlier... Interesting.

I charged my own battery again the other day, got it to 90% but it's not been left untouched long enough I don't think as neither S/S not heated screen are working still.

Unless I can get around to getting a new battery soon I will have to give that slip road acceleration a try.

Thanks for sharing Latman.

On 09/02/2018 at 8:22 PM, Kyutu said:

So this pretty much confirms the charging during overrun behaviour mentioned earlier... Interesting.

I charged my own battery again the other day, got it to 90% but it's not been left untouched long enough I don't think as neither S/S not heated screen are working still.

Unless I can get around to getting a new battery soon I will have to give that slip road acceleration a try.

Thanks for sharing Latman.

No probs, for what its worth, its been working perfectly since I got her back.  I think its a case of Ford are trying to be too clever hampered by poor quality batteries.   Everybody who's replaced the battery seems to be back on easy street again.

• 3 years later...
On 1/17/2018 at 8:11 AM, Bob3 said:

One of the problems on the Mk5 is that the alternator only charges on acceleration and decouples on the overrun. I wonder if these fancy pulleys are to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure this is correct. It would make more sense for the alternator to kick-in on the overrun and to de-couple under acceleration. That would provide a CO2 and mpg benefit by converting unwanted kinetic energy into stored electrical energy during deceleration.

Hello @MartinH I'm sure you're correct but it's 4 years since this thread was started so I wouldn't worry.

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hello @MartinH I'm sure you're correct but it's 4 years since this thread was started so I wouldn't worry.

14 minutes ago, unofix said:

On 2/9/2018 at 2:25 PM, The Latman said:

That technician gave you the wrong advice - when coming off the motorway onto a slip road your foot should be off the accelerator as it is under those conditions that the smart alternator charges. Accelerating under those conditions would disable the charging.

@MartinH this thread is DEAD.

Why are you replying to me ?

The original post is more than 4 years old

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 9:32 AM, MartinH said:

That technician gave you the wrong advice - when coming off the motorway onto a slip road your foot should be off the accelerator as it is under those conditions that the smart alternator charges. Accelerating under those conditions would disable the charging.

To be fair when he was explaining all of this to me, it was like listening to a dog try and explain quantum theory.   

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club