Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help needed on my New Battery...is it no good??

jace1969

OK had a New battery fitted on the 1/12/17 so just over 2 months old,they did check the old one and said is was not that good,well dead'ish,had it from CHEMIX.

New battery is a NUMAX PREMIUM 063-41AH (with 3 year warranty) and read some very good reviews on these and cost £65.

Left car for 2 whole nights so say.... all Monday/all Tuesday then went to it early Wednesday morning and just started as turned over slow and reset MPG read out as so low.

I do very local drives as carer at home so cant give it long drives and sometimes it could stand for a good 48 hours as above.

What is there on these cars 2011 titanium fiesta 1.6 that runs when car is off,its got the Alarm and that's it when locked,when driving being

dark there are lights on/heater/2 dash cams but all off ignition not when off,any advice would be great as this is a 24/7 car needed for a quick jump in and go if needed.

Thanks

New Battery is a NUMAX PREMIUM 063-41AH (with 3 year warranty) and read some very good reviews on these and cost £65.

41 is not a lot of ampere-hours these days, with all the electrical  kit in a modern car, which you seem to have added to (and it isn't clear from what you write how they are wired). incidentally Tayna list a Varta C6 for 59.97 plus deliv  (and also the Bosch S5001 which is the probably the same battery but more expensive) and that has 52Ah 520 CCA and a 5Yr guarantee.

I do very local drives as carer at home so cant give it long drives and sometimes it could stand for a good 48 hours as above.i

This is probably your fundamental problem. You probably are not fully charging the battery. Did you ensure that the battery was at 12.5 volts or  more before it was fitted?

You probably have to ether make the time to take the car on a longer journey or put it on a battery charger, eg, overnight otherwise you will always struggle.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

41 is not a lot of ampere-hours these days, with all the electrical  kit in a modern car, which you seem to have added to (and it isn't clear from what you write how they are wired). incidentally Tayna list a Varta C6 for 59.97 plus deliv  (and also the Bosch S5001 which is the probably the same battery but more expensive) and that has 52Ah 520 CCA and a 5Yr guarantee.

This is probably your fundamental problem. You probably are not fully charging the battery. Did you ensure that the battery was at 12.5 volts or  more before it was fitted?

You probably have to ether make the time to take the car on a longer journey or put it on a battery charger, eg, overnight otherwise you will always struggle.

All items are wired up from fuse box into a power point but off the ignition,2 way power points that run the  2 dash cams.

They said this is the one for the car as i aint got a clue with batteries just went and they looked at it and fitted this,would a bigger AH help like last better over 2 days.

I know i will have the problem but i cant do a lot being cant leave person for a long period,i ask as next door has a Honda Jazz 1.4 2009 and when they go away her

car is there for a good 7 days plus and starts first time after.

Would leaving it run on the back help with lights/heater off just to warm it up as my only other option is remove rear dash cam and stuff like that.

£65 for that battery?  Can buy them online for almost half that. :sad:   It is Silver Calcium though, so will work with the smart charge ok.  But it is a bit small, should be 44AH and 440CCA for Fiesta.

Do you leave anything pugged in the lighter socket, phone charger or sat nav for example?  Does the dash cam definitely go off with the ignition off?

I often do a short drive Friday night and leave the car until Monday with no issues so far.  But it does get a few decent runs through the week.  Idling doesn't really charge the battery, it needs a few revs to spin the alternator fast enough, would take ages just to charge it enough to cover starting the engine that time.  

it would be interesting to put an ammeter in between the battery terminal and battery cable with the ignition turned off to see how many amps are being used. For example if fully charged and it's taking 1 amp then it will go flat in 41 hours (for a 41AH battery).  1 amp is only 12 watts, it's not a lot.   The AH number is directly proportional to how long it will last from fully charged to flat.  Do you know what AH your original battery was, it was probably quite a lot more  eg. 60 perhaps

I have taken a couple of things off but is there anywhere where i can get proof ford recommends a Higher AH as i will get onto them and have a go.

Dont like being ripped off and i would of gone online or other places but car was started by leads when it went dead so closeted place was here.

Mine to be honest never gets a good run all week so where people give it a goos run say work 5 days and left over weekend i don't get that.

My work is at home 24/7 as a carer so car is just left,nothing at all is left on in the car only locked with alarm on,i only have 1 dash cam now as taken other

out so a bit less when running as dark morning its lights/fan and was 2 cams.

The original battery was the one on the car from new what ford put on but aint got a clue.

Any help on what ford says would be great and what you would recommend on the AH so i can check.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

If you message me the reg, I'll get you a screenshot of the battery in the Ford parts catalogue for your car.

Thanks,just sent a PM.Just looked online on a battery checker for your car and comes up with at least a 60AH.

I will take it down to Chemix local to us and show them on my phone.

Thanks for that,nice phone call tomorrow for me as I did ask for the best one as I do small journeys,cheers.

Would Etis say what battery was on my car from new as I know it's Ford as I can see it on a picture.

A big thanks to all,been down and got the Numax 075 premium and no extra cost,there mistake so a 60AH from a 41AH.

it would be interesting to put an ammeter in between the battery terminal and battery cable with the ignition turned off to see how many amps are being used.

If you put one connector on the positive terminal where would I put the other one to measure the draw from the battery when ignition is off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

If you put one connector on the positive terminal where would I put the other one to measure the draw from the battery when ignition is off?

Ammeters have to be in series (inline) to measure, rather than parallel like voltmeters.

So you disconnect the positive terminal cable from the battery and have the ammeter between the battery and the cable that connects to it.

Just make sure you don't try turning the engine over while it's connected.

Ammeters have to be in series (inline) to measure, rather than parallel like voltmeters.
So you disconnect the positive terminal cable from the battery and have the ammeter between the battery and the cable that connects to it.
Just make sure you don't try turning the engine over while it's connected.

Cheers, i think that’s what threw me, I’m more familiar with running the probes in parallel.
I’m going to have a look at mine on my next days off.

Yes they checked this on mine again today as i watched them when they took the battery of and put the other on