Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR VALVE ISSUES ???

Focus57

Hi people just need some advice please, Mechanic has blanked of my EGR VALVE what ever that is ???

Can this affect how the car runs ?? Acceleration has gone a bit erratic and car whistles like mad is this normal ?? Engine management light stays on as apparently ist still connected to ECU ??

I wouldn't be able to afford a new EGR Valve however would a second hand one suffice ???  Would like some info before I take back to garage.

Thanks to all who have read and any advice is very much appreciated before I take car to Garage Cheers  

If it's whistling the gasket may have been put the wrong side of the blank or been damaged so letting some air blow past it.

EGR valves often get blocked with oily soot and break, I wouldn't risk a second hand one.

Blanking or unplugging the EGR won't remove the engine light.

Which size engine is it?

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Basically reduces your emissions. Talking £60 ish for a new one. Did the garage take yours off? Or did they just put a shim inbetween the flanges?

Blanking them off means the exhaust gasses no longer flow through there and can cause fault codes to appear as the car will think it's faulty.

The majority of the time they just clogg up with carbon build up, but a lot of people just blank them at that point rather than clean them out.

As long as the valve seal is good I guess a second hand one will work, but no idea how much life it has left in it. It's not something I would personally do. It's a bit like buying second hand tyres; no way of telling till you put them on and find a massive air leak.

You mechanic is an idiot.  Over 20,000 people a year die from nitrous oxides pollution, the very sort that the EGR helps reduce.  A new one doesn't cost much, get it fixed properly.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, TomsFocus said:

If it's whistling the gasket may have been put the wrong side of the blank or been damaged so letting some air blow past it.

EGR valves often get blocked with oily soot and break, I wouldn't risk a second hand one.

Blanking or unplugging the EGR won't remove the engine light.

Which size engine is it?

its a 1.8 tdci

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, Luke4efc said:

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Basically reduces your emissions. Talking £60 ish for a new one. Did the garage take yours off? Or did they just put a shim inbetween the flanges?

Blanking them off means the exhaust gasses no longer flow through there and can cause fault codes to appear as the car will think it's faulty.

The majority of the time they just clogg up with carbon build up, but a lot of people just blank them at that point rather than clean them out.

As long as the valve seal is good I guess a second hand one will work, but no idea how much life it has left in it. It's not something I would personally do. It's a bit like buying second hand tyres; no way of telling till you put them on and find a massive air leak.

They blanked it of like, Hills are selling them with some sort of warranty like ??

1 hour ago, Focus57 said:

They blanked it of like, Hills are selling them with some sort of warranty like ??

Now you've lost me.

Oh and btw with the new MOT test coming in May, having emissions devices (such as a DPF filter or EGR valve) removed or modified is a instant fail. I'd get one fitted if I were you.

32 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Now you've lost me.

Oh and btw with the new MOT test coming in May, having emissions devices (such as a DPF filter or EGR valve) removed or modified is a instant fail. I'd get one fitted if I were you.

This, EGR's and DPF's absolutely strangle engine power but I'd rather drive slower than be breathing excess fumes

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : sales@tmsmotorsport.co.uk

whatsapp-25px.png
WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – AP Racing – BUY ONLINE

-   We ship worldwide to your door  -

-  Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza  - Honda S2000 -

Working EGRs don't reduce power.  They're closed at full throttle.  Bit of soot sludge in the intake might reduce power a bit but not noticeably.  They're usually blanked because they're broken.

You also can't see the EGR blank on a lot of cars so it won't fail MOT but is technically illegal.

Get the fault codes read to see what's causing the engine light would be the next step imo.

EGRs on diseasels tend to cause problems because people use them for repeat short journeys and the carbon accumulates instead of burning off.  Get the EGR fixed, and don't use it regularly for journeys of less than 7 miles, and it'll be sweet.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club