Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO: SYNC2 --> SYNC3 upgrade

Bannko

Hi Together,

so i did this upgrade in Nov 2017.

There were already few vids on youtube available regarding this upgrade and also Ford has in the meantime released official guide for Forcus MK3 RS SYNC3 upgrade.

The videos are great but as they are for US version there is a small difference and also the Ford's guide has tons of unnecessary steps and parts you have to buy.

So i have decided like to put everything together and write for you the guide with my experience and tips what to do and how ).gif

PS1: This guide can be applied to each Ford car with SYNC2 (not just Focus). Of courste the panel removal will be in each car different but the needed parts are always the same.

PS2:  If you have Focus MK3 preFL, upgraade radio/SYNC1 to SYNC2/3 is also possible and will fully work. You only have to have better knowledge with wires harness and pins as there will be a need to add additional pins into main connector.

PARTS NEEDED:

1. SYNC3 (apim + screen)

2. GPS Antena (the one from SYNC2 is not compatible as it is a GPSM module)

3. Media HUB in armrest (optional, will explain below)

4. Power connector reduction (in case you will buy new HUB)

5. ELM327 diagnostic device (Forscan compatible)

WHERE TO OBTAIN NEEDED PARTS + ADDITIONAL INFO

1. SYNC3 (apim + screen)

Well here you have really plenty of options, depends on your budged. The factory navigation is good but if you want a cheaper option you can go for the nonNAV version and use the navigation apps from ANDROID or APPLE.

a.) more expansive option and the best one: is to find a used EU navigation version from eBay, junkyard etc. Even better if you can somehow also obtain the VIN no. of the donor so you can later use it for the map updates. Price are approx. 500-600 Pounds

My SYNC 3 is a EU nav version and has this part number: HJ5T-14G370-GNG

faa09132fa8ae14amed.jpg

b.) you can buy also a new one from factory, i have found this guy in Facebook Focus MK3 Owners Club group and he sells the sat nav version for 500 Pounds which is pretty good price: https://www.facebook.com/InCarNavi/

c.) If you have bigger budget you can already buy a whole ALL-IN-ONE upgrade kit, where you will have all needed parts and at least you do not have to bother with buying stuff separately. I know that you can buy those kits from US but they are overpriced also some Russian sites are selling the SYNC 3 kits but i do not know the prices. And i personally know one Polish guy who also sells those kits for Ford vehicles the price from him is i think about 640 Pounds. So if maybe someone will be interested you can PM me and i will forward you the contact info.

d.) cheapiest option: to buy one from US and you will later install the EU update there to make it EU version. If you will buy a navigation version it will not work here in EU (US nav version has 32GB internal storage, EU nav version has 64GB storage) but there is a possibility to install there the cropped EU navigation without some unnecessary voices so it will fit the 32GB storage.

In US they have a site where the scrape yards  are selling car pars and you can find a SYNC 3 just for 100-200 Dollars. Or you can just search eBay. Very hard is just to find it as sellers are describing items like they want. The site is: http://car-part.com/ and the best way is to look for Ford models 2017+ and as a part choose: Radio/CD. From the descriptions it is hard to assume that they are selling SYNC 3 but if you will find something that might look like a SYNC3 8" touch screen just contact them. Just make sure they are selling APIM+screen not just the screen ).gif

E.g.:

f61b86041efb25a2med.png

2. GPS Antena

You need a new GPS antena for both, nonNAV and NAV version (emergency calls). You do not need the original Ford antenna for SYNC 3, just any cheap that has the blue connector. e.g.:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-RG174-GPS-Glonass-External-Navigation-antenna-3M-Fakra-C-connector/32808397482.html?

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AKVX2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cd336d06084c4ffcmed.jpg

3. Media HUB in armrest

The Finish no. for the proper Focus media hub is: 2026703 (price about 50 Pounds)

New media hub is required only if you will use iPhone or Apple Car Play. On the old hub if you will use Android Auto you will only get an error message each time you start you car but it will work. But if you want do do it the proper way just buy the new HUB anyway ).gif

This proper HUB has one USB nest and it loops to the front so you have also working the USB slot under climate control.

You can buy it at your dealer, or any web store that sells Ford parts or just search e-bay.

For my upgrade i did not use the proper Focus USB HUB. I have the one with the 2 USB slots that does not supports the one in the front, badly i did not have better info while buying needed parts, but what ever. ).gif This is the pic. of mine media HUB:

0d0cb8e2f8f24839med.jpg

The Finish no.: 2209060 (unfortunately the price now is about 209 Pounds)

Again, you can buy it at your dealer, or any web store that sells Ford parts or just search e-bay.

Luckily for you this original Ford part is not mentioned in any other guide. BENEFIT OF BUYING THIS PART: it comes with a SYNC3 LICENSE. What it means is, that when you will bring it to your dealer, he is able to add the info of SYNC 3 upgrade to your car on Ford ETIS site and you will have the SYNC 3 in your car like officially. But i guess like 99% dealers have no idea that such a thing exists, lol.

17568b1a0017a7f5med.jpg

OR Buying just cheaper aftermarket reduction from US company:

https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-2b/

OR If you know ho to cut wires, you can use this Ford's pigtail (info from 2GFusions.net)

CU2Z-14S411-AA (WPT-1239) - installation of this harness will be described below.
048d846ee76332ecmed.jpg

5. ELM327 OBD diagnostic device

This one you will need to configure the the SYNC 3 for your car. As an example i will say this:

You have a rear parking sensors and you can see them working on SYNC 2 screen. If you will upgrade to SYNC 3, you will have no visual aid on the screen as the SYNC 3 does not know that you have the rear parking sensors so you must configure it, the same goes to parking camera etc. Just buy one from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XELM327+Forscan.TRS0&_nkw=ELM327+Forscan&_sacat=0

INSTALLATION PROCESS:

Saving data from SYNC 2 using Forscan and ELM327 cable:

Well before the removal process you have to save the as build data configuration from SYNC2 (APIM Module) in order to load them again into your SYNC3. Firstly check this video that show were to download and how to set up the Forscan program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJiXehdN6Q

For some deeper explanation how the configuration works in FOrscan you can check the official forum:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1932

Secondly the saving and loading function from the APIM module. I do not have the screenshots for you guys but you can check this youtube video. The guy shows it already on the SYNC3 installed but you have to save the data first from your SYNC2 actually. And then after the HW change, load it again into your newly installed SYNC3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF1VLpr0Mvs&t=317s

TOOLS NEEDED for removal:

• T25 Torx
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Plastic removal tools are very helpful (you can get them cheap on Aliexpress/ebay)

Installation time:

• approx 1h

As a base guide (when you have all parts gathered) use this video, it is a must to watch as my steps and info below will be just an addition and tips to it. Also note that the removal process of the dash parts on this video looks very simple and almost each part can be easily removed. THE REALITY is different, it will be maybe 3x harder to remove everything in your car and you will constantly have a feeling that you gonna brake something, lol. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V8PFLSHwD0

Installation TIPS:

• Video position: 0:50. Removal of the trim around the shifter. I had a serious problem to remove it exactly like on the video so i did it by removing it from the other side.

d8992ff16a421e44med.jpg

• Video position: 1:35. Removal of the plastic cover below the radio. Well this was the hardest part for me. I really could not pull it like on the video and i almost broke it. Luckily i had also few pictures of the Ford's official manual that saved me. So i really recommend here to use Ford's step with the screwdriver. Pic below:

0f3bcbbe2e287ad5med.png

• Video position: 3:45. Removal of the trim panel of the shifter. This step is almost like on the video but i want to just show you the difference with the stick for the manual transmission. Because i firstly tried to remove also the silver frame.

0f8e992d6bcd288fmed.jpg

• Video position: 4:20. What to do with the climate panel. Well i did not want to bother later to connect everything together so i just disconnected the switch for the "start/stop,parking,heated steering wheel" and left the panel aside with other wires connected.

85bfe4109cca97f6med.jpg

• Video position: 6:30. Removal of the dash bezel around the display. Well this part holds like it is glued but you just need to do a quick strong pull. It will be 10x harder then on the video, lol. And again i just left it hanging.

1921fdbe4fb88e0fmed.jpg

• Video position: 8:35. Removing the brackets from SYNC2. This part you can skip. Not needed for the EU specs.

• Video position: 12:00. Placing GPS antenna into the dash board. he i just want to give you a detail where exatcly it is placed as it is not seen very well in the video.

4fe3d32c5de5aacamed.jpg

• Video position: 18:00. Removing the old USB hub. Do not do it like on the video. I used the video instruction then struggled with pulling it out causing a small damage to the plastic parts with the screwdriver. Also the wires in my Focus were lot shorter so the manipulation was very complicated even for a small hands. Instead i recommend you again to use  official Ford's instruction. You will add a few minutes to it but you will have a nice space for manipulation.

56f8ae998da4aceemed.png
9814d3db62fcababmed.png

Installation of the pigtail for the new USB hub:

- this is only in case you decided to connect the USB hub with the pigtail and not with the p&p adapters described above.

Installation of WPT1239 Harness (Utilizing Pins 1 and 4):
Pin 1 is going to  Pin 1  on Existing Media Hub Harness - Yellow/Blue Wire
Pin 4 is going to Pin 10 on Existing Media Hub Harness - White/Blue Wire
Pins 2 and 3 are NOT used and should be taped off, Pin 4 is the one closest to connector release tab

Power wires spliced into existing connector wires, soldered, and ready to be taped up:774c2b4b0ff7cbfcmed.jpg

Using FORSCAN and ELM327/UCDS to configure your freshly installed SYNC 3 for your car.

Again at the end you have to load the configuration from SYNC2 into SYNC3. The process is mentioned already above.

Well that's it. With that video and my tips you should be able to do it much faster then me  ).gif i know that this guide will maybe need some adjustments but in case you will face any problems feel free to write here and ask anything.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

One again, you're the man!

Another great guide which surely should be getting stickied shortly!

• Like 1

@mastachaz have you tried sync3 somewhere? It was definitely worth it. Sync2 is just an old, slow stupid system with big screen, good only for one thing, sat nav.

Sync3 is completely different story mate. The Android Auto capabilities these days are awesome, of course with the unofficial apps from developers like CarStream that allows you to browse tge internet watch youtube and movies from internal memory. Or Android Auto Mirror that allows you to mirror the screen and if your phone is rooted you can also control the phone's screen from Sync3 meaning running almost any app from your phone on sync3. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bannko said:

@mastachaz have you tried sync3 somewhere? It was definitely worth it. Sync2 is just an old, slow stupid system with big screen, good only for one thing, sat nav.

Sync3 is completely different story mate. The Android Auto capabilities these days are awesome, of course with the unofficial apps from developers like CarStream that allows you to browse tge internet watch youtube and movies from internal memory. Or Android Auto Mirror that allows you to mirror the screen and if your phone is rooted you can also control the phone's screen from Sync3 meaning running almost any app from your phone on sync3. 

not yet but for now I want to do some other upgrade like st line body kit and 17 inch wheels then probobly will do sync 3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.02.2018 at 2:48 PM, Bannko said:

Hi Together,

so i did this upgrade in Nov 2017.

There were already few vids on youtube available regarding this upgrade and also Ford has in the meantime released official guide for Forcus MK3 RS SYNC3 upgrade.

The videos are great but as they are for US version there is a small difference and also the Ford's guide has tons of unnecessary steps and parts you have to buy.

So i have decided like to put everything together and write for you the guide with my experience and tips what to do and how ).gif

PS1: This guide can be applied to each Ford car with SYNC2 (not just Focus). Of courste the panel removal will be in each car different but the needed parts are always the same.

PS2:  If you have Focus MK3 preFL, upgraade radio/SYNC1 to SYNC2/3 is also possible and will fully work. You only have to have better knowledge with wires harness and pins as there will be a need to add additional pins into main connector.

PARTS NEEDED:

1. SYNC3 (apim + screen)

2. GPS Antena (the one from SYNC2 is not compatible as it is a GPSM module)

3. Media HUB in armrest (optional, will explain below)

5. ELM327 diagnostic device (Forscan compatible)

WHERE TO OBTAIN NEEDED PARTS + ADDITIONAL INFO

1. SYNC3 (apim + screen)

Well here you have really plenty of options, depends on your budged. The factory navigation is good but if you want a cheaper option you can go for the nonNAV version and use the navigation apps from ANDROID or APPLE.

a.) more expansive option and the best one: is to find a used EU navigation version from ebay, junkyard etc. Even better if you can somehow also obtain the VIN no. of the donor so you can later use it for the map updates. Price are approx. 500-600 Pounds

My SYNC 3 is a EU nav version and has this part number: HJ5T-14G370-GNG

faa09132fa8ae14amed.jpg

b.) you can buy also a new one from factory, i have found this guy in Facebook Focus MK3 Owners Club group and he sells the sat nav version for 500 Pounds which is pretty good price: https://www.facebook.com/InCarNavi/

c.) If you have bigger budget you can already buy a whole ALL-IN-ONE upgrade kit, where you will have all needed parts and at least you do not have to bother with buying stuff separately. I know that you can buy those kits from US but they are overpriced also some Russian sites are selling the SYNC 3 kits but i do not know the prices. And i personally know one Polish guy who also sells those kits for Ford vehicles the price from him is i think about 640 Pounds. So if maybe someone will be interested you can PM me and i will forward you the contact info.

d.) cheapiest option: to buy one from US and you will later install the EU update there to make it EU version. If you will buy a navigation version it will not work here in EU (US nav version has 32GB internal storage, EU nav version has 64GB storage) but there is a possibility to install there the cropped EU navigation without some unnecessary voices so it will fit the 32GB storage.

In US they have a site where the scrape yards  are selling car pars and you can find a SYNC 3 just for 100-200 Dollars. Or you can just search ebay. Very hard is just to find it as sellers are describing items like they want. The site is: http://car-part.com/ and the best way is to look for Ford models 2017+ and as a part choose: Radio/CD. From the descriptions it is hard to assume that they are selling SYNC 3 but if you will find something that might look like a SYNC3 8" touch screen just contact them. Just make sure they are selling APIM+screen not just the screen ).gif

E.g.:

f61b86041efb25a2med.png

2. GPS Antena

You need a new GPS antena for both, nonNAV and NAV version (emergency calls). You do not need the original Ford antenna for SYNC 3, just any cheap that has the blue connector. e.g.:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-RG174-GPS-Glonass-External-Navigation-antenna-3M-Fakra-C-connector/32808397482.html?

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AKVX2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cd336d06084c4ffcmed.jpg

3. Media HUB in armrest

The Finish no. for the proper Focus media hub is: 2026703 (price about 50 Pounds)

New media hub is required only if you will use iPhone or Apple Car Play. On the old hub if you will use Android Auto you will only get an error message each time you start you car but it will work. But if you want do do it the proper way just buy the new HUB anyway ).gif

This proper HUB has one USB nest and it loops to the front so you have also working the USB slot under climate control.

You can buy it at your dealer, or any web store that sells Ford parts or just search e-bay.

For my upgrade i did not use the proper Focus USB HUB. I have the one with the 2 USB slots that does not supports the one in the front, badly i did not have better info while buying needed parts, but what ever. ).gif This is the pic. of mine media HUB:

0d0cb8e2f8f24839med.jpg

The Finish no.: 2209060 (unfortunately the price now is about 209 Pounds)

Again, you can buy it at your dealer, or any web store that sells Ford parts or just search e-bay.

Luckily for you this original Ford part is not mentioned in any other guide. BENEFIT OF BUYING THIS PART: it comes with a SYNC3 LICENSE. What it means is, that when you will bring it to your dealer, he is able to add the info of SYNC 3 upgrade to your car on Ford ETIS site and you will have the SYNC 3 in your car like officially. But i guess like 99% dealers have no idea that such a thing exists, lol.

17568b1a0017a7f5med.jpg

OR Buying just cheaper aftermarket reduction from US company:

https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-2b/

OR If you know ho to cut wires, you can use this Ford's pigtail (info from 2GFusions.net)

CU2Z-14S411-AA (WPT-1239) - installation of this harness will be described below.
048d846ee76332ecmed.jpg

5. ELM327 OBD diagnostic device

This one you will need to configure the the SYNC 3 for your car. As an example i will say this:

You have a rear parking sensors and you can see them working on SYNC 2 screen. If you will upgrade to SYNC 3, you will have no visual aid on the screen as the SYNC 3 does not know that you have the rear parking sensors so you must configure it, the same goes to parking camera etc. Just buy one from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XELM327+Forscan.TRS0&_nkw=ELM327+Forscan&_sacat=0

INSTALLATION PROCESS:

Saving data from SYNC 2 using Forscan and ELM327 cable:

Well before the removal process you have to save the as build data configuration from SYNC2 (APIM Module) in order to load them again into your SYNC3. Firstly check this video that show were to download and how to set up the Forscan program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJiXehdN6Q

For some deeper explanation how the configuration works in FOrscan you can check the official forum:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1932

Secondly the saving and loading function from the APIM module. I do not have the screenshots for you guys but you can check this youtube video. The guy shows it already on the SYNC3 installed but you have to save the data first from your SYNC2 actually. And then after the HW change, load it again into your newly installed SYNC3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF1VLpr0Mvs&t=317s

TOOLS NEEDED for removal:

• T25 Torx
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Plastic removal tools are very helpful (you can get them cheap on Aliexpress/ebay)

Installation time:

• approx 1h

As a base guide (when you have all parts gathered) use this video, it is a must to watch as my steps and info below will be just an addition and tips to it. Also note that the removal process of the dash parts on this video looks very simple and almost each part can be easily removed. THE REALITY is different, it will be maybe 3x harder to remove everything in your car and you will constantly have a feeling that you gonna brake something, lol. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V8PFLSHwD0

Installation TIPS:

• Video position: 0:50. Removal of the trim around the shifter. I had a serious problem to remove it exactly like on the video so i did it by removing it from the other side.

d8992ff16a421e44med.jpg

• Video position: 1:35. Removal of the plastic cover below the radio. Well this was the hardest part for me. I really could not pull it like on the video and i almost broke it. Luckily i had also few pictures of the Ford's official manual that saved me. So i really recommend here to use Ford's step with the screwdriver. Pic below:

0f3bcbbe2e287ad5med.png

• Video position: 3:45. Removal of the trim panel of the shifter. This step is almost like on the video but i want to just show you the difference with the stick for the manual transmission. Because i firstly tried to remove also the silver frame.

0f8e992d6bcd288fmed.jpg

• Video position: 4:20. What to do with the climate panel. Well i did not want to bother later to connect everything together so i just disconnected the switch for the "start/stop,parking,heated steering wheel" and left the panel aside with other wires connected.

85bfe4109cca97f6med.jpg

• Video position: 6:30. Removal of the dash bezel around the display. Well this part holds like it is glued but you just need to do a quick strong pull. It will be 10x harder then on the video, lol. And again i just left it hanging.

1921fdbe4fb88e0fmed.jpg

• Video position: 8:35. Removing the brackets from SYNC2. This part you can skip. Not needed for the EU specs.

• Video position: 12:00. Placing GPS antenna into the dash board. he i just want to give you a detail where exatcly it is placed as it is not seen very well in the video.

4fe3d32c5de5aacamed.jpg

• Video position: 18:00. Removing the old USB hub. Do not do it like on the video. I used the video instruction then struggled with pulling it out causing a small damage to the plastic parts with the screwdriver. Also the wires in my Focus were lot shorter so the manipulation was very complicated even for a small hands. Instead i recommend you again to use  official Ford's instruction. You will add a few minutes to it but you will have a nice space for manipulation.

56f8ae998da4aceemed.png
9814d3db62fcababmed.png

Installation of the pigtail for the new USB hub:

- this is only in case you decided to connect the USB hub with the pigtail and not with the p&p adapters described above.

Installation of WPT1239 Harness (Utilizing Pins 1 and 4):
Pin 1 is going to  Pin 1  on Existing Media Hub Harness - Yellow/Blue Wire
Pin 4 is going to Pin 10 on Existing Media Hub Harness - White/Blue Wire
Pins 2 and 3 are NOT used and should be taped off, Pin 4 is the one closest to connector release tab

Power wires spliced into existing connector wires, soldered, and ready to be taped up:774c2b4b0ff7cbfcmed.jpg

Using FORSCAN and ELM327/UCDS to configure your freshly installed SYNC 3 for your car.

Again at the end you have to load the configuration from SYNC2 into SYNC3. The process is mentioned already above.

Well that's it. With that video and my tips you should be able to do it much faster then me  ).gif i know that this guide will maybe need some adjustments but in case you will face any problems feel free to write here and ask anything.

Did you buy anything from this in car navi guys ?

@mastachaz i personally found a good deal on Allegro.pl ;) so you can also search there. But those in car navi guy - they are reliable as they sell a lot of things on this FB sell group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1296317503759939/?ref=bookmarks

For the future do not quote such a big posts ;)

58 minutes ago, Bannko said:

@mastachaz i personally found a good deal on Allegro.pl ;) so you can also search there. But those in car navi guy - they are reliable as they sell a lot of things on this FB sell group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1296317503759939/?ref=bookmarks

thanks :) I will buy some part just want be sure they are ok :) I know allegro but contact will seller are very poor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26.02.2018 at 12:20 PM, Bannko said:

Hi mate could you help this is gps antenna ? its possible to remove it from sync 3 car ?

s-l1600.jpg

also will that be ok ?

s_2.jpg
s_l500.jpg
s_l5003.jpg
s_l16004.jpg

@mastachaz, that is GPS antenna yes but you also need to remove the wire from the sync3 car and then change it in your car. I think that this is too much work and hours of work to do.

It is really best to just buy a cheap GPS antenna from China saves you a lot of money and time with installation.

And i cannot see the part number from the first picture, very small resolution. 

On 7.03.2018 at 9:39 AM, Bannko said:

@mastachaz, that is GPS antenna yes but you also need to remove the wire from the sync3 car and then change it in your car. I think that this is too much work and hours of work to do.

It is really best to just buy a cheap GPS antenna from China saves you a lot of money and time with installation.

And i cannot see the part number from the first picture, very small resolution. 

s-l500.jpg

@mastachaz you do not have to change the RADIO. I would recommend to keep the one you have. 

And the SYNC3 APIM modul is correct it is a EU navi version. ;) so you can buy it if you have a good price.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bannko said:

@mastachaz you do not have to change the RADIO. I would recommend to keep the one you have. 

And the SYNC3 APIM modul is correct it is a EU navi version. ;) so you can buy it if you have a good price.

300 all this from photo its worth it  ?

2 hours ago, Bannko said:

@mastachaz definitely ;) very good price.

how much did you pay for this ?

I payed for everything about 650 Euro.

1 hour ago, Bannko said:

I payed for everything about 650 Euro.

wow so this must be super cheap then.

• 1 month later...

if I dont change usb hub what will happen ?

Apple Car Play will noy work on the old one. But Android Auto will work, you will only receive a warning pop up message each time you start it ;) 

• Thanks 1

what about usb under climate? it will still work ?

Yes of course that usb port will be working :) why have you thought it won't? 

1 hour ago, Bannko said:

Yes of course that usb port will be working :) why have you thought it won't? 

I was thinking if you dont change usb hub in arm rest then usb will stop working

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club