Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hullo!

forquare

Good morning all!

I know little to nothing about cars, I'm a computer person most of the time. I drive a 03/2013 reg Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (according to my documentation…) which I've had for a couple of months (previous owner was a rental firm, I received it at just under 1 year old and just under 8k on the clock). My partner drives our 2009 1.6 Fiesta.

As I mentioned I'm mostly interested in computers. I studied computer science in Aberystwyth and found a job working on the first installation of a new computer based railway signalling system (ERTMS). I've recently moved to Somerset to work for an IT consultancy firm. I'm a Mac user mostly, with my other areas of expertise being around UNIX and Linux systems.
Apart from computers I'm interested in the evolution of language and enjoy reading about etymology, phonology, and typography.

• Like 1

Good morning all!

I know little to nothing about cars, I'm a computer person most of the time. I drive a 03/2013 reg Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (according to my documentation…) which I've had for a couple of months (previous owner was a rental firm, I received it at just under 1 year old and just under 8k on the clock). My partner drives our 2009 1.6 Fiesta.

As I mentioned I'm mostly interested in computers. I studied computer science in Aberystwyth and found a job working on the first installation of a new computer based railway signalling system (ERTMS). I've recently moved to Somerset to work for an IT consultancy firm. I'm a Mac user mostly, with my other areas of expertise being around UNIX and Linux systems.

Apart from computers I'm interested in the evolution of language and enjoy reading about etymology, phonology, and typography.

Welcome to the forum Ben,

I recommend you blank your EGR valve on the 2.0TDCi this will prolong the life of your turbo, keep your oil cleaner for longer and give a slight increase in power and mpg,

Look up egr blanking plates on eBay,

But only purchase one made from stainless steel, do not fit an alluminium one because they break through causing damage,

Stainless steel blank is the correct job and will help prolong the life of your mondeo,

Is the 1.6 fiesta a petrol or diesel ?

Welcome to the forum Ben,

I recommend you blank your EGR valve on the 2.0TDCi this will prolong the life of your turbo, keep your oil cleaner for longer and give a slight increase in power and mpg,

Look up egr blanking plates on ebay,

But only purchase one made from stainless steel, do not fit an alluminium one because they break through causing damage,

Stainless steel blank is the correct job and will help prolong the life of your mondeo,

Is the 1.6 fiesta a petrol or diesel ?

Hi Lenny,

Yes, the Fiesta is a diesel too. Forgive my ignorance (and possibly improper place of posting), but what does the EGR valve do? Are there any negative effects to blanking it?

• Like 1

Hi Lenny,

Yes, the Fiesta is a diesel too. Forgive my ignorance (and possibly improper place of posting), but what does the EGR valve do? Are there any negative effects to blanking it?

no problem mate, were all here to learn and sgare interest,

The EGR vale is Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve,

Its a butterfly valve situated between your exhaust m\nifo"d and induction manifold,

It opens at low rpm and heavy acceleration recirculating up to 20% of waste gases chucking them back in for re-combustion,

This is a problem because well its carbon sute deposits cause lumps to gather in the engine oil,

Your turbo has a bolt called a banjo bolt,

Its constantly surrounded by oil and is situated between the compressor wheel and induction turbine,

The oil is fed to the turbo banjo bolt via a small metal pipe,

Over time the egr lets in the harmful deposits causing clumps to form in the oil which then gather in the turbo oil feed pipe slowly restricting flow until your turbo eventually becomes starved of oil and pops,

This is one thing that blanking the egr with a stainless steel plate helps to prevent,

There are no negatives to blanking the egr atall,

Since you have a 1.6tdci aswell then if you get time why not have a read of my guide on blanking the EGR in the 1.6tdci

The thread shows step by step instructions aswell as tins of pages of reviews from various members of the forum whom have blanked theres and felt the positives aswell

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

The egr valve was created to help lower emissions and fuel consumption,

But the diesel engines dont get emissions tested at MOT inly smoke tested, the emissions test inly matterd for the competition of car reviews on the sales markets when the car was first released, instead of the carbon goung out the exhaust it would becime trapped in the engine oil,

The reality of blanking actually gives a small increase in fuel consumption aswell,

Because by blanking the egr, the potential 20% max of waste gases is no longer being recirculated instead its going down the exhaust where it should,

This gives an increase in exhaust back pressure,

The turbo compressor wheel is spun by the flow of exhaust gases, so the higher the back pressure is,

The faster your turbo spools up,

Meaning the turbo lag is reduced,

Thus the car is slightly more responsive so you dont have to push as hard to get the desired speed,

Blanking the egr means the induction filter is sucking in 100% clean atmospheric air all of the time instead of 80% and 20% exhaust gases,

This means a cleaner induction,

Further responce can be felt by upgrading the stock induction filter to a Green Cotton induction filter,

If you have time you may also like to view my guide aswell as 10% discount code to purchase a filter for your ford.

See here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

I highly recommend fitting a Green filter after blanking the egr as the green filter allows the air to flow more freely,

However if i had to choose only one item, id blank the egr, the aftermarket filter is not essential but it helps increase flow and mpg

Now the egr is blanked the engine relys in the fresh air induction 100% so for maximum air/fuel ratio mix, cleaner induction, cleaner oil for longer and prolinged turbo life, id blank the egr and fit a green cotton induction filter,

See others reviews for yourself and i live in ireland, im an independant enthusiast, i have no ties with any companys my opinions are from personal experience which has been proven to be sucessfull which is why i recommend to others,

Now if i was a mechanic, or a car manufacturer

"would i fit egr valves to cars?"

Yes i would

"why"

Because id be in the business of making money on swappin) out carbon caked oil sumps, blocked turb9 oil feed pipes, blown turbos, and caked up egr valves,

All this expence can be avoided by fitting a blanking plate cosing less than 8 GBP

Another modern day nasty is the DPF

Diesel Particulate Filter,

But by blanking the egr and increasing back pressure this can help prolong the life of the dpf aswell,

Shir have a read of the guides and independant reviews when you get time and you can then make up your own mind what you would like to do mate,

Im always in here most days if you would like to discuss things further, myself or fellow members of the forum are always more than happy to advise an( inform,

Thanks for reading and i hope this helps you get the most from your motor,

hi and welcome to the forum

• Like 1

Hi welcome :)

Welcome to the family Ben! I like you started off knowing sweet nothing about cars! A bit of a computer bod as well, I dont have quite the qualifications you do but had experience in computer repairs and IT administration and have just built up my knowledge from breaking computers and trying to put them back together again!

I feel I know a fair amount these days and its in full compliment to this forum, so I am sure you will build up a very good knowledge over time!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club