Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Leak When Filling Ukp

mnevis

When filling up with petrol at the pump petrol leaks out from somewhere between the filler neck and the tank. Is this a common problem with petrol Focus? What is likely problem? What is solution?

Does anybody know if the following is a known fault on the Focus: after putting petrol in at a filling station there is a puddle of petrol below the car just below the filler cap area? It happens every time regardless of whether it is 10 litres or more.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know if the following is a known fault on the Focus: after putting petrol in at a filling station there is a puddle of petrol below the car just below the filler cap area? It happens every time regardless of whether it is 10 litres or more.

sounds like the vent pipe has come off from the filler cap.

undo the rear wheel arch plastic liner screws and check it.should be 2 pipes connected to the filler. one big pipe to the tank and one smaller pipe just by it to equalize the pressure.

• 11 years later...
On 8/2/2010 at 1:26 PM, jonboy01 said:

sounds like the vent pipe has come off from the filler cap.

undo the rear wheel arch plastic liner screws and check it.should be 2 pipes connected to the filler. one big pipe to the tank and one smaller pipe just by it to equalize the pressure.

My Mk1 Focus has just started to spill fuel when topping it up. It's clearly not some overfill function cuz say tank is nearly empty and I start putting gas in it, the squirting under the wheel arch starts immediately. Is this something I could fix myself?

8 hours ago, Gew said:

... Is this something I could fix myself?

With respect, if you are asking that question, probably not. I'd just take it to a garage (an independent, not a Ford dealer!) and get them to have a look. Because of the age of your car, likely a corroded filler neck that may need replacing. This happened in a previous car of mine (not a Ford).

1206989191_fillerleak.thumb.jpg.9c05f71b8e52e6a299930a363281067a.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club