Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt

zev

Hi all, I'm a bit worried, when I bought my 2002 focus in June the dealer had no info on the cam belt so presuming that it had the original belt still on I asked the dealer to fit me one, he charged me £95. Now since then I've been told that I should of had the pulleys and tentioners done to I didnt know this as I'm not mechanically minded ) I asked the advice of my local mechanic and he said I wouldnt worry about it now I'm sure the mechanic who fitted the belt would of told you if there was a problem with the tentioners and pulleys. Is that likely to be a correct statement as I'm not sure what to do now I dont fancy having to buy the full kit to get it done again plus cash is abit short at the moment then agin the belt broke on my last car and it cost me a fortune to get it back on the road again.

zev

£95 for a cambelt change seems really cheap to me?

Because the dealer had no info on the cam belt he did me deal, then agin it was just for the belt and not the full kit I don't actually know the prices for just a cam belt so he could of told me anything and I would be none the wiser lol

zev

The whole kit should have been done, not just the belt. A tentioner is as serious a part as a timing belt. I wouldn't take a risk and leave it as, it could be costly in the long run. Any good mechanic worth their salt would have highlighted this with you before completing the work. A car dealer is only out for themselves at the end of the day and only interested in sales.

The whole kit should have been done, not just the belt. A tentioner is as serious a part as a timing belt. I wouldn't take a risk and leave it as, it could be costly in the long run. Any good mechanic worth their salt would have highlighted this with you before completing the work. A car dealer is only out for themselves at the end of the day and only interested in sales.

ford done mine that was a new camshaft bolt n ew belt and tensioner and tensioner bolt guides and pulleys i asked at the time and was told that many garages dont fit new camshaft bolts but they are stretch bolts and not designed to be reused i was also told that the tensioner is what goes snapping the belt ford gaurantee the belt for 100k the tensioner is not the guy also said that its a must for the gi=uides and pulleys to be done.

in short the dealers ripped you off he replaced a belt thats it no guides pulleys tensioners or bolts yes if the tensioner goes the belt will snap i would only take my car to ford cost me 210 that was including the fan belt as well ide ask ford how much and pay to have it all redon.

youre local mechanic is talking through a rather large hole in his !Removed! the only way of checking the tensioners etc is to rep[lace them occasionally it will tick slightly when its on its way out if it was me pay the cash get it all done and try get some money back from the dealer though i cant see you getting far hes not to be trusted mate didmnt do it right the first time wont do it the second time.

210 quid or there abouts is better than it going you have no idea if he used a genuine belt and if ford fit it they gaurantee the life of the belt youre independants dont

My focus has just over 94000 miles on the clock I usually do around 2000 year or there abouts. When is the recommendation for changing the cam belt, tentioners and pulleys. If I can get a few more months out of whatever I have now I will be able afford to have it done properly.

zev

My focus has just over 94000 miles on the clock I usually do around 2000 year or there abouts. When is the recommendation for changing the cam belt, tentioners and pulleys. If I can get a few more months out of whatever I have now I will be able afford to have it done properly.

zev

the belts last the 100k tensioners are recommended by everyone except ford to be done 60k its a gamble in honesty it could go for a year it could go for a monthas i said ford warranty the belt but not the tensioner the kit is about 80 quid mine all in with the fan belt was 210 incl labour parts and vat so not too bad really

the belts last the 100k tensioners are recommended by everyone except ford to be done 60k its a gamble in honesty it could go for a year it could go for a monthas i said ford warranty the belt but not the tensioner the kit is about 80 quid mine all in with the fan belt was 210 incl labour parts and vat so not too bad really

Well I am worried now lol. I have a friend who loves fords and is always fixing his own cars. Think I will have a word and see if he can fit me a new belt kit on at end of next month I will hopefully have some money by then and of course will be alot cheaper than a qualified meachanic. This may sound a daft question but is the belt ect more likely to brake on short journeys or motorway journeys.

zev

Well I am worried now lol. I have a friend who loves fords and is always fixing his own cars. Think I will have a word and see if he can fit me a new belt kit on at end of next month I will hopefully have some money by then and of course will be alot cheaper than a qualified meachanic. This may sound a daft question but is the belt ect more likely to brake on short journeys or motorway journeys.

zev

the tensioner is what causes the belt to go it either ceases when the bearing goes or just fails completely and theres no specific way of driving it will just go when its time sometimes you get a warning like the noise of a belt rubbing a dull squeek when cold or a constant tap or click other than that it can just go

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Just in reply to my earlier post. My friend bought me a ford cambelt kit of eBay as the dealer wasn't sure if the full kit had been fitted. My friend removed various parts in order to get to the belt & tentioners and found that in fact the dealer had fitted a full cambelt kit or should I say the mechanic with whom the dealer uses. The kit is probably at the bottom of the scale as in quality being as it only cost £95 fitted, but at least the car is okay for a couple of years and I have a ford kit ready and waiting.

zev

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club