Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 Tddi Mods

DavyMond

Hi, I am new to the forum, and I was just wondering if there are any good mods I can do to my car for not to much money. I have had the car about 6 months and it has good power already but just want a bit more.

Cheers.

Welcome to the family!

A basic service is a good way to get a bit more power, you could then look to remap or buy a tuning box (not really cost effective on a non turbo car). Otherwise, something like a bluefin remap, or a DTUK tuning box can give more power.

Dont bother with induction kits as they take in heatsoak and are not worth the effort....

Thanks mate, i have a 2.0 tddi ghia x, was looking at a remap but there is 140,000 on the clock, so would probz need to refurb the turbo before remap.

Depends what you want to gain. Are you looking for looks or general performance mods?

I've got a mk3 estate. I've just done the black eyes mod, fitted clear indicator lenses on the side. All that cost about £25 transforms the whole front end

Mostly looking for power but i was thinking about doing some exterior aswell. Was thinking new alloys headlights and tailights. Thanks.

Just had a look, looks a good investment, i will look into it more later, thanks alot.

Will a bigger intercooler without remapping make any noticeable difference? And if so roughly how much difference will you see

I dont think intercoolers make that much of a diffrence anyway, maybe an extra 7 or 8 bhp, dont quote me on that tho lol. I am interested in the intercooler, was going to do a few thing like that and then get the remap in the near future.

Hmm I was going to get a bluefin. But then if I get a intercooler and have a custom map I'll get more gusto than just a bluefin.

The replacement I/Cs are considerably larger so will be more efficient at cooling the air.

The only thing that has been discussed as to whether it will have a bad effect or not (other than skinned knuckles when changing them round) is that due to the larger area, there air would expand from a 57mm hose into the void of the I/C but then be squeezed back into another 57mm. There are thoughts that this could cause turbulance and may restrict flow rather than aid it. Im not sure myself.

I have fitted the racebits I/C and a decat, but not gone down the route of a remap. It does seem to pull better, but it could be a placebo effect as I havent had it tested for bhp or torque.

another mod could also be to replace the hose with silicone ones. Ford are well known for splitting and the replacements are silly money. Silicone hoses are a fraction of the price.

Jeebos suggestion of a good service is obviously the first job, and cleaning things like the MAF and MAP sensors too can only help.

Do the tddi have maf sensors. I haven't spotted one on mine unless I'm being really idiotic lol

As far as i know it is just after the air box if you do have one.

I'll have to check again but I'm 95% sure I haven't seen one. Waiting for the weather to perk up enough to get underneath the car to do some servicing.

Just seen yours is the earlier model (2002) so probably not. They may just have been on the facelifts models or the euro4's

Far too many, then as they went along they started slowly removing wiring looms, making it harder to retro fit stuff.

Lol I guess I'm kind of lucky then I've just retro fitted the fog lights from the ghia and all the looms were in place

what spec is yours.

Mines an lx on an 06, thankfully it had the looms for the fog lights, rear leccy windows and footwell lights, but not for the rear heated seats. Its also got the loom for the climate conrtol, but havent gone down that route. Not sure if mine got the auto dipping mirror or folding wing mirror looms.

Mines a lx on a 02 but has electric rear windows as standard. Didn't realise they became cheap skates later on in there productions. How weird

I might retro fit the folding mirrors on mine. Got to fit the light in the footwell hopefully the loom is there for them lol

The footwell lights is one thing I find so stupid. In the lx facelift models, the wiring and bulb holders are there. All ford had to do was stick a bulb in each side and hey presto, footwell lights, but they were too tight to spend 20p for each light

The footwell lights is one thing I find so stupid. In the lx facelift models, the wiring and bulb holders are there. All ford had to do was stick a bulb in each side and hey presto, footwell lights, but they were too tight to spend 20p for each light

It saves money on production - its the same for the Shell - all the shells are identical with all the holes drilled for all the parts you don't get

Will a bigger intercooler without remapping make any noticeable difference? And if so roughly how much difference will you see

A larger intercooler will make zero difference on a standard car, it will actually slow the car down slightly by increasing turbo lag - this is due to the increased internal volume i have figures to back this up

The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the back-box - a completely standard exhaust (with cat and middle box) but with a straight-through pipe instead of the back box, will outpreform a decatted system without a middle box (by a large margin)

As Jeebo has said, a good service 1st, then a remap or tuning box, which will make a big difference to an otherwise stock car, anything else you do will make small differences, especially for the money spent, like the intercooler and decat, there is a lot of B.S. and ignorance about tuning these cars, with people wanting to sell thier products and making exaggerated claims etc

Of course, it goes almost without saying, all Euro3 mondeos should have a solid, stainless steel blanking plate fitted

All Mk3 Mondeos TDDIs are Euro3 compliant - there are no Euro4s

Some had MAF sensors, some did not, some had front EGRs, some back, some fixed vane turbos, some VNTs, etc etc - regardless of build date - if you post some pictures- i can tell you which one you have, it can affect the way the car is tuned

You want to make a TDDI really fast? read my build thread - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42441-my-mondeo/

Thanks for the info. I shall post some pics. I knowmy egr is mounted to the left at he back as you look at the engine and I haves small silver actuator on the front of my turbo. Does this help with identifying my car?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club