Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs?

Valleyboy22

Gaps are incorrect Bosch are pregapped at an old spec to prevent rough idling missfires and coil issues the petrol should be set at 1.0mm on Bosch 1.1mm on ngk ford will also state if you had them check that the plug gaps at 1.3mm are wrong also as due to lead and coil failures a technical service bulletin went out to reduce the gap from 1.3mm to 1.0mm so yes 1.3 is wrong has been for years now

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Valleyboy22

• Hillkidstr

• artscot79

• higgsy

Never knew that wonder why autodata sates 1.3mm? Would that mean that all the sparks sold for the focus have been incorrectly gapped?

My current Denso have shown no symptoms of a wrong gap, have you got a link to the technical bulletin? Would be interested in reading it not doubting you just wondering why current plugs are still gapped at 1.3mm and not the revised 1mm?

Umm just thinking I never checked the gap on the Denso the Bosch ran crap and where gapped at 1.3 when I checked, umm this does make sense now you mention it will pull one of the Denso and check the gaps out of curiosity.

Just so you know I ain't doubting you just surprised that info ain't been updated.

Should of known this but with 4 cars to look after it gets confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Its been known for a long time it was ford who showed me the tsb when mine were incorrectly gapped at 1.3 denso plugs are gapped at 1.0mm out the box Bosch plugs are gapped at what Bosch state is the gap but after the running issues etc ford found decreasing the gap fixed the issues its standard for ford on a service to narrow the plug gap ngk do 1.0mm plug gap also http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/39946-electrode-gap-on-16-engine/

Cheers for that, something to remember for future ref.

Don't trust main dealers way to many issues for my liking tried a ford main dealer for a simple service found out the oil filter hadn't been changed (uv pen) had trouble with Mercedes and Suzuki as well never took the other car fiat to a garage so I just work on them all my self I may miss out on some info but at least I know the works done.

Sorry for the mini rant.

I guess it would also only be main dealers who would reset the plug gap as a lot of garages use autodata that still states 1.3mm for the motorcraft/bosch and NGK plugs.

So I need to set the correct gap which is? Also I will have to buy a gage then because I aint got one?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Just looking up the plugs I said are already gapped at 1.00mm so I don't think you will need a gauge.

They be the ngk iridium ones?

correct gap 1.0mm on all ford plugs as said some are now pregapped at 1.0mm some at 1.3mm still

Seen plug removal tool on eBay and guess I need a 10mm one to take my old ones out to put new ones in?

14mm socket mate.

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

Also I am still convinced the mk2.5 should be gapped at 1.3mm if you look in the online catalogues such as NGK it shows 1.0mm (tr5a-10) for 04-07 mk2 and 1.3mm (tr5b-13) for 08-11 mk2.5.

14mm socket mate.

*long socket

Cheers will get a 14mm socket to remove them.

sorry to say the 1.3mm is wrong and has been for years if youve ever had a service at ford youll likely find the original plugs are gapped at 1.0mm its a tsb so is meant to be done at a service anyway even Bosch state this in there catalogue

Spark plug, Laser Platinum (HR 8 NPP 302) gap 1.0mm

many forums will tell you the same call ford they will also tell you the same Bosch recommend 1.3mm for certain plugs this was found to cause running issues and coil pack and lead failures so ford found the fix was to reduce the gap and a tsb was put out

Rang my local motor factor for ngk and he said they are set to 1.3.

My car is a 2010 and came with NGK r tr5b-13's from the factory gapped at 1.3 mm ( I know this as I have all service receipts/checklists and plugs had not been changed previously. Not saying there was not a tsb for this but personally I think whatever issues there were were for earlier cars/ engine revisions , were resolved later on or why would ford still be fitting plugs with a gap of 1.3mm to cars in 2010?

Might just fit them and go from there.

speak to ngk all you want you arent listening the manufacturer of the plug recommends a gap of 1.3mm this lead to an issue with the leads failing and coil packs misfiring and stuttering ford looked into it and found the plug gap was the cause after tests it was found lowering it to 1.0mm solved the issue hence the ford tsb if you want an answer on a ford car ask ford not ngk as they wont know now fit 1.3 if you wish but it wont help the car at all and will be inefficient if ford have ever touched youre plugs they will be at 1.0mm why do people insist on arguing call ford ask them theres the simple answer it is for a fact 1000% 1.0mm

ford do not fit plugs with that gap they regap them as per the tsb as stated already it wasnt resolved as the mk1 mk2 and 2.5 all use the same leads plugs and coil packs

is it easy to alter the gap if I get a gauge? Like I said I was told the are pre gapped to 1.3mm and will alter them to 1mm when I do it

1.8 115bhp (for engine codes EYDC , EYDD , EYDE , EYDB , EYDF electrode gap to be set 1.0mm)

2.0 131bhp (electrode gap to be set 1.0mm)

2.0 RS 215bhp

new Bosch plugs

Ford Focus MK.2 petrol engines 1.4 & 1.6

Electrode Gap: 1 mm

NGK Spark Plugs Set For FORD FOCUS C-MAX 1.6l - TR5A-10 No. 0005 x4 Pack

the 10 represents gap 1.0mm

http://www.eurocarparts.com/spark-plugs as you see the list even for ngk states 1.0mm as does haynes

very easy just insrt the gauge between the egap and tap the electrode on something flat sometimes pushing with youre finger works till there is slight interference between the gauge and electrode apply some dilectric grease to the tip of the plug once its been refitted and to the coil end of the leads

just ordered a gauge so will pick the plugs up on way home from work tomorrow and will also pick up a tool they sell to get them out because the cheap socket set I get wont reach the plugs.

can anyone point to a right size removal tool please pref eBay so I can order one because my local motor factor was £15 for one,14mm socket set I guess I need but to afraid to order one encase its wrong?

Cheers

14mm is the correct size tool

Just had to double check my tool sets to make sure I wasn't going crazy but in all 4 of my sets with spark plug sockets I have a 10mm and a 14mm one so I grabbed one of the old plugs that was in my focus well 2 different makes and both fit the 10mm spark plug socket? so why is it 14mm starting to think if we are talking about a different engine and not a focus with a 1.6 petrol engine here?

a 10mm spark plug socket has a rubber insert which not only protects the insulator but aids in installing and removing the plugs.

Don't ask me why but a 10mm spark plug socket is larger than a 10mm normal socket. checked this in all 4 tool sets.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club