Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss Of Turbo After Stalling

IcePax

Hello,

I'm a recent Ford convert and have just bought a 2009 Mondeo Titanium X Estate (2.2 Manual Diesel).

As well as being a recent Ford convert this is also the first Diesel I've owned so ... first question ...

I have stalled the car a couple of times and, on restarted the engine, i've noticed that it seems impossible to over rev the engine in any gear, I also lose speed when going uphill which is particularly annoying when on a motorway, it's almost as if the turbo hasn't kicked in when I've restarted the car from the stall ... is this normal ? Am I just being impatient and restarting the car too quickly (like you can with a Petrol) ?.

Second question ... the car has recently been serviced at ~70,900 miles. Tonight whilst driving, a "service OIL" message appeared (no warning colour), followed a short time later by a Yellow (Amber ?) "ENGINE MALFUNCTION" message (see photos).

Could this simply be that the service indicator hasn't been reset ?

Thanks for any help / advice

IcePax

sent using Ford OC mobile app

post-55987-140441992517_thumb.jpg

post-55987-140441993814_thumb.jpg

It may be a good idea to get a Ford-compatible code reader and find out if you have any fault codes

The loss of power may be the car going into "limp home mode" - loss of power may, or may not have anything to do with the turbo, loosing power does not mean you have "lost" the turbo or the turbo has not "kicked in" -

Thanks FOCA, loss of power was probably the wrong choice of words ... the car doesn't stop it just seems to limit the revs in each gear and there's no "oomph" almost like no effort is being made to accelerate. Once the car is switched off completely and restarted it all seems fine again ... eurgh I hate not being familiar with a cars quirks LOL

IcePax

Thanks FOCA, loss of power was probably the wrong choice of words ... the car doesn't stop it just seems to limit the revs in each gear and there's no "oomph" almost like no effort is being made to accelerate. Once the car is switched off completely and restarted it all seems fine again ... eurgh I hate not being familiar with a cars quirks LOL

IcePax

Thats what "limp home mode" is like, less power and the engine often won't rev past 3k - its like a "safe mode" that puts the engine under less stress after the ECU (engine control unit, is often called something else like PCM- powertrain control module) detects a problem so you can "limp home" - often, switching the engine off/ on resets it

You need to get the fault codes read, and there are many reasons why it would go into limp mode, one example is the VNT gets coked up, it compromises boost control and the turbo produces exessive boost - the ECU detects this and puts the engine into limp mode to protect it - so, in that case ironically caused by too much boost (too much turbo :lol: )

That could also be the error message on the dash , but thats quite basic and you really need to get the codes

Thanks, I've contacted the garage I bought the car from and sent them the photos. I should hear from them today and will mention getting the codes read.

Thank goodness is got a warranty on it.

IcePax

Car goes in on Sunday and the garage will rectify all faults at their cost

IcePax

• Like 1

Car goes in on Sunday and the garage will rectify all faults at their cost

IcePax

Good result! - let us know how you get on

• Like 1

Will do

Sent from my SM-T310 using Ford OC mobile app

Well the garage have come back to me .... They found a fault code that indicated loss of power (although didn't tell me what the code was). They inspected the car again and found a split in the turbo pipe. The part's on order and I should get the car back tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Ford OC mobile app

Result, I presume thats the turbo intercooler pipe, or a hose directly related to it.

I assume so ... tbh the garage were a bit vague ... i'm pushing them for the fault code though so I can check what Ford suggest should have been looked at.

IcePax

The only code I saw on my CMAX when I had the split pipe was low turbo pressure.

Apparently they found P2263 low turbo pressure ?

Seems feasible if they found a split in the pipe.

Just waiting on them telling me that they've replaced the part and I can pick the car up now.

IcePax

yeah that looks familiar! I cacked myself having seen that code, thinking I just couldnt live with it. Eventually Ford told me they would fix it for me for a laughable sum, they didnt help me locate it so I just did it myself. Had the car running idle, running my hand all around the area's and eventually felt it gushing out.

Have a look at my signature for replacing the intercooler pipe, you might be surprised by the crack that was in mine! no wonder it was losing pressure, might as well have not had a pipe there at all!

All done, the old pipe had a 3" split in it !!

IcePax

Which one was it engine side or bottom side?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

I honestly don't know :)

IcePax

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club