Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Awful Mpg 2007 Petrol 1.6

bkmadh

Right since i got my car the mpg has been rubbish averaging like 24-26 when driving like a nun, iv serviced the car twice in the past 7000 miles, all filters oil and plugs, last saturday i also changed the coil, ht cables and the wiring to the coil. as there was previously a issue with one of the wires to the coil.

and theres literally like no change..

i have noticed at idle when the engines warm it judders similar to like a diesel does.

and also when i plugged my odb reader in theres no codes but on the live readings the tps is at 14.32% when the accelerator hasn't been pressed. i will post the live readings when i go onto my phone.

The TPS reading is quite normal. These engines do not have an Idle Air Control valve. The amount of air during idling is regulated by the throttle plate. The throttle plate is always a bit open when the engine is running. The TPS reading may just vary a bit because the PCM constantly adapts the position to achieve the most optimal position.

Did you already have the PCM software updated? My experience is that there can be a huge difference between the different software versions. After I updated the PCM software to the latest available version on my previous Focus MK2 (1.6 100 HP) the engine became quiter, smoother and the fuel consumption became a bit better.

Thanks for the reply, oh I was assuming it meant the car was over fueling which would then be why the mpg is so crap :(

I have no idea whether the pcm has been updated, how would I go about checking and updating?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

The PCM software version can be checked with an ELM327 interface and the free ELMconfig software. This can also be used to update the PCM software but you should only do this if you have enough knowledge. Updating the PCM can result in a bricked PCM if something goes wrond during the update proces.

I have just sold my 2007 Cmax 1.6 petrol and those were the figures i was getting too for around town short run driving.

This type of engine is not economical. This is basically an old type of engine which is only a bit further developed on the Focus MK2/MK2.5. The base of this engine was the old Zetec S(E) engine which was available from about 1995 and is used in the Fiesta MK4/MK5, Puma and focus MK1.

This engine is slightly underpowered for the heavy Focus MK2/MK2.5. Depending on the body type, trim level and options the MK2/MK2.5 can actually weight a lot more than listed on paper. On paper my MK2 should weight 1149 KG but when I put the car on a scale it did actually weight 1325 KG. To make the car perform better Ford changed the gear ratio. As a result of this the engine RPM is pretty high at cruising speeds at the motorway. This results in a relative high fuel consumption.

However an average fuel consumption of only 24-26 MPG seems a bit high in my opinion. My previous Focus MK2 with the 1.6 Duratec engine had an average fuel consumption of 31 MPG during a period of 6.5 Years. I did about 50% town driving and about 50% motorway driving.

I achieved 39.1 MPG on my last long run, on a Mk2.5 1.6 petrol, with the 4 speed auto transmission. And that included accelerating hard from traffic lights. This is for 75% extra-urban (motorway/dual carriageway), and 25% urban (town) driving.

In town driving only, with lots of start/stop I get 23-24 MPG. So the MPG you achieve entirely depends on your driving style and conditions. But given that your car is juddering, I'd say there is something obviously wrong.

@Wilco:

The PCM update you speak about seems interesting. Do you know how much Ford charge for it? Wondering whether it's worth paying for it, as I don't have the necessary tools to do it myself.

Thanks for the reply guys, I am also interested in the update. But honestly The economy of these engines is shocking :(

Thanks for the reply guys, I am also interested in the update. But honestly The economy of these engines is shocking :(

Well it is an old engine as Wilco said, but I don't think it's 'shocking'. 40 MPG from such an outdated engine still isn't too bad. And at least its a pretty reliable engine.

What sucks is the emission figures - 184g/km of CO2 is appalling, and means I get slugged £225 in VED year upon year.

short journeys I get low 30's on my 1.6 100 bhp. I just went away in it and got 46.3 mainly because it was on a busy motorway traveling 50/ 60 MPH due to traffic. When I saw the tax costings on it I guessed it was an old engine, which is one of the reasons I bought it, tried and tested.

It accelerates very well, but is a bit too noisy for my liking.

@Wilco:

The PCM update you speak about seems interesting. Do you know how much Ford charge for it? Wondering whether it's worth paying for it, as I don't have the necessary tools to do it myself.

I do not know how much the Ford dealer will ask for updating the software of the PCM. I suspect this will be quite a lot of mony.

I do all the software updates myself. On my previous Focus MK2 I used an ELM327 interface and the ELMonfig software. On my current Focus MK3 I use an ELM327 interface and the FoCCCus software. Next to this I also have Ford specific diagnostig hardware and software to program/recover modules if something goes wrong.

I don't get brilliant MPG from my duratec HE 1.8 engine, but I think that the trade-off is that although the MPG is lower, it has less gubbins to clog up and break, unlike the diesel counterparts. That and the Governments incoming war on the Diesel, I am sitting pretty. But then I was looking to buy, I was looking at 1.8 minimum as I figured the 1.6 would be underpowered, I like a bit of shift in reserve if I need it.

10mile trips to work back roads 60mph a lot of uphill 37.1 mpg town 31mpg the Ti vct replaces the 1.8 so same power fuel economy even on the 100 bhp should be higher than what you're getting

I also have a regularly serviced 2007 1.6 TiVct Focus and the mpg I get is quite ridiculous if I'm honest. Average for around 26/27. Did a long run from Derry in NI down to Sligo and back again and the highest I saw was 29 :-/

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

No idea why youres is below average mpg but long runs in into the 40s on dual carriageways and motorways quite a few Ti vct in here and they sit around where I do in the mpg stakes

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club