Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE Fiesta Detailing Thread

greenymk7

Hi

Since I joined the FOC, I've kept on seeing this "Fiesta detailing thread" and today, I took the plunge and read a few reply's and I never realised that so many different products could be bought to clean a car.

My normal routine for cleaning a car is to hose it down to get off the loose dirt and then wash it with a car wash additive, using a soft sponge, then hose it off with clean water. Shammy it dry with a chamois leather. Then if it's a nice dry day, I would use Autoglym to polish it. Inside I would give it a good vacuum and then use armoural to finish off.

Now that I've just bought a new Fiesta,I will probably be doing something similar but, I would welcome some recommendations concerning the following:

I use a soft sponge but is there anything that would be better to wash the car with to help stop, or reduce the 'swirling' marks that gradually appear on the paintwork over time?

Without going overboard, what normal car shampoo is recommended?

With regard to the alloy wheels, the front wheels in particular are affected by the brake dust and once they are washed, what product can be used to shine and protect the wheels from further harm from the brake dust?

Glass. I normally use a high st glass cleaner with a old tea towel, any advice here?

That's it. I'll look forward to any advice.

Thanks, BHeart

I use a soft sponge but is there anything that would be better to wash the car with to help stop, or reduce the 'swirling' marks that gradually appear on the paintwork over time?

Buy yourself either a lambs wool or microfibre wash mitt, this will stop the swirling but you will also need to get 2 buckets. 1 will hold your shampoo mixture the other just clean water. Pick up some shampoo rub the car then wash the mitt in the clean water of the other bucket. this way you will never contaminate your shampoo bucket.

Without going overboard, what normal car shampoo is recommended?

Most people would recommend dodo juice born to be mild. a new shampoo on the market is nanolex reactivating shampoo and is also very good.

With regard to the alloy wheels, the front wheels in particular are affected by the brake dust and once they are washed, what product can be used to shine and protect the wheels from further harm from the brake dust?

Best product to clean the wheels without a doubt is bilberry wheel cleaner. to keep them tip top you should look for a product called FinishKare 1000P this can also be used on the paint work as a sealent over the winter.

Glass. I normally use a high st glass cleaner with a old tea towel, any advice here?

I use 3M glass cleaner, it does the job very well. High street cleaners can mark the rubber surrounding the window.

Hope that helps

Greeny

Hi,

Firstly, I'm new, so apologies for asking questions which have probably been answered countless time before...

I'm picking up my new Fiesta next month but I've always been fussy about maintaining the appearance of a car. This is my first brand new car and I want to look after it obviously. I didn't know there was so much to car-washing... I've always used sponges in the past but may have to re-think that one.

I've read lots on this thread and am under the impression that "Dodo Juice" seems to be a favourite and highly recommended. Is the "Dodo Juice - Born To Be Mild" OK to use for regular washing? When I say regular, I tend to wash my car every week if I can. My car is coming with "Diamondbrite" and I don't want to use a shampoo that will damage the finish - should I actually be using "Diamondbrite" products to maintain it?

Thanks for any help!

Honest advice - ditch the Diamondbrite and then get the Dodo Products you fancy.

Diamondbrite is a sealant, and while it does a good job as a sealant, the idea that it is going to last for thousands and thousands of miles is laughable. I have been applying sealants and waxes for a long time - and I still get holes in protection. Your diamondbrite will probably have been applied by the 50p a car teenager who washes the cars on the forecourt...

If you must have diamondbrite, at least ask them to give you the kit so you can apply it yourself. I hope you haven't paid the OUTRAGEOUS dealer marked up prices for db - the whole kit can be had for a fiver on eBay.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. Well, they're chucking in the "Diamondbrite", it wasn't something I actually asked for to be honest. Interesting to hear it's not as good as I thought though! I guess we'll see.

So, which "Dodo Juice" do you recommond then? I've no idea, as I've never used it before... Is "Dodo Juice" OK to use simply as a regular shampoo, or should it only be used as part of the whole "detailing" process?

Dodo juice born to be mild (BTBM) is a great shampoo and can be used regularly. It is a favourite of many people here.

got mine on order to from rubbish boys, only one though but it is going to be my winter protection along with FK1000P

got a few other bits aswell like the dodo detailing bag to keep some stuff in.

number 47 for me.

Looking forward to using it this weekend and mmmmmmm it smells so gooooood

Still waiting on mine :(

Ordered from I4D, hoping they come tommrow :D

Dont think i have any room for it on the car mind you :lol: Wearing 2 layers of FK1000p with a range of other waxes taking over different panels :lol: Dodo Rubbish Boys Juiced edition, Orange crush, Hard Cany, Autosmart Wax, and concours (smartwax)

5 days off work next week :-) so going to

bilberry wheel cleaner

wash

dry

clay

wash

dry

poorboys black hole

2x dodo juice purple haze wax

Any tips for cleaning over the Winter.

Just at the start of Oct i managed to get a clean, wax then a AG HD wax on top of that, but havnt got to clean the alloys, gave them a good clean maybe about 1 week ago, but the water still seemsto be running off them ok, thing is I think I applied teh 1000p back before the summer...how long could that stuff hold out?

Have BilBerry etc so thinking I can bring them up good again even if they fade a little!

I would say take your wheels off around about now, clean the insides aswell and give them 2 coats of FK1000P, that should keep them fine till spring next year.

I would also suggest using your 1000P on the paintwork over the winter. 2 coats of 1000P and 1 HD wax on top should see you out ok.

Gotta say poorboys blackhole is an amazing product! My black ZS has come up so well

Gotta say poorboys blackhole is an amazing product! My black ZS has come up so well

Apply via machine for even better results :D

Also rating Autobrite Cherry Glaze just now.

Just out of interest, my old man has a VISION fez and has asked for xmas for a few bits and bobs for making it look good/protect it etc, wax/glaze wise etc what are great products for vision blue?

Ok, so winter detail has been done over this weekend. lots of hard work but hopefully it will now see my through to spring.

I dont have any before pictures as i got stuck in and completely forgot!!!

Any way the pictures shown are fully finished from:

Rinse

Pre wash - Surfex HD

snow foam

Wash - Dodo juice supernatural

clay - bilt hamber auto clay

Wash - Dodo juice supernatural

Dry - chemical guys wonder towel

Glaze - Dodo juice lime prime lite

Sealent - FK1000P x 2 coats

Hand waxed with Dodo Juice Skull Candy

Heres the pictures :)

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

This is my roof incase you couldnt work it out lol

IMG_0343.jpg

i found it fantastic to be honest.

the definition was amazing and iv hardly used any of it doing the whole car. id say i could easily do it another 4/5 times before the pot goes.

• 5 weeks later...

Today's been the first time that I've been able to wash the car in a while today, and as you can see it was in desparate need of a wash....

Here follows some before and afters:

IMG_4233.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club